The Glen on Peace

Justin6882

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah, I also saw this snippet in the paper this morning. Glenwood south is becoming quite the destination both with Residential and dining hangouts galore.

I only wish it was a bit more spread out or something. It's a bit cramped. As a sidenote I hope Starbucks plans to expand or relocate it's location there, because frankly for the business they rake in there they need a much bigger and more easily accessible building.

In time the Glenwood South district may include developments along West St (pretty much a void north of Ri-Ra's), along with the stuff on Boylan Ave paralleling Glenwood. I suspect that the entire west side of downtown (Warehouse District and Glenwood South) will be quite a sight in 10 years.

I only wish it was a bit more spread out or something. It's a bit cramped.  As a sidenote I hope Starbucks plans to expand or relocate it's location there, because frankly for the business they rake in there they need a much bigger and more easily accessible building.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Glenwod South is shaping up to be quite a destination - Raleigh's first attempt at a truly urban living environment. I wouldn't say it feels "cramped" - it just feels too small. I hope it can continue to grow, while keeping the same elements of density and scale that make it so attractive in the first place.

Another big problem will be integrating it successfully with the Fayetteville St. business district. Right now, two sizeable obstacles stand in the way: Dawson St. and Mcdowell St. With their many traffic lanes, long stoplights and relatively high speed limits they don't make for a particularly pedestrian friendly environment. Developers have nonetheless shown some interest, but it may take longer for that area to fill out with development.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Hmmmm,

Seems like the sketch is missing something. I don't think that all of those trees are still there ?

The location link suggests that the Glen is in the same neighborhood as Cameron Village and Nana's Chop House. That's a big neighborhood.

540_the_glen_no_crop.jpg

I'd allow Cameron Village. It's only half a mile away- not too long for a walk, and certainly close enough for a quick bike ride, especially since they're on the same street. Bad weather? Disabled? Take the bus.

But Nana's? Yeah, that's definitely a stretch.

They should be advertising the proximity to Peace Street Market as well. After all, it's the best place in Raleigh to buy beer ;)

They should be advertising the proximity to Peace Street Market as well. After all, it's the best place in Raleigh to buy beer ;)

Alas, it will always be "7-EVEN" for me. The best was when they renamed that convenience store catti-cornered across the street to "Circle-J." Hah!

I remember buying a warm case of Natural Light ICE the day after Hurricane Fran hit in 1996. Seven Even was the only store around open, and despite not having power, they kept track of receipts by hand. What dedication. Too bad that older clerk with the mustache/mostly bald STILL checks my ID every time I go in there!

Just nitpicking here, but why do they give these condo developments "trendy" and "cute" names like "The Paramount" or "The Glen on Peace"? It seems to me that they're just trying to keep up with the suburban apartment complexes and subdivisions that also have their own "cute" and "trendy" names. The difference is, these suburban areas are so devoid of personality and soul that they desperately try to differentiate themselves by grafting on a name. Downtown urban developments should have enough personality to stand out without a name. Names like "510 Glenwood" or "618 North Boylan" or "652 West Peace" tell me much more about a building than a name like "Park Devereaux".

Sigh.

Just nitpicking here, but why do they give these condo developments "trendy" and "cute" names like "The Paramount" or "The Glen on Peace"? It seems to me that they're just trying to keep up with the suburban apartment complexes and subdivisions that also have their own "cute" and "trendy" names. The difference is, these suburban areas are so devoid of personality and soul that they desperately try to differentiate themselves by grafting on a name. Downtown urban developments should have enough personality to stand out without a name. Names like "510 Glenwood" or "618 North Boylan" or "652 West Peace" tell me much more about a building than a name like "Park Devereaux".

Sigh.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Not to argue, but if the urban developments truly followed the suburban naming model, they sould incorporate the name of the natural flora/fauna that was replaced by the subdivision (ie. Quail Run, "where the quail used to run before the vinyl siding contractors profited supremely"). So, for it to be true in this case - they could call it "Surface parking on Peace", or something of the sort. Nonethless, urban concepts do seem to follow a particular naming trend, oftentimes monopropes such as "Fly" or "Wag". Nothing however, provokes me more than plagaristic homages such as GlenSo...which completely rip on something unique in an effort sanction popular credibility.

I hate to see that rare pyramidal victorian home demolished (along with the tyfanny lamp house) to make room for this place. Although I like the idea of this building, I know of only two remaining examples of this type of architecture in the city...circa 1890. In fact the online architecture survey (via the city museum website) chose this particular example for publication....http://www.raleighcitymuseum.org/arch_survey/Phase2/a_types.html

I hate to see that rare pyramidal victorian home demolished (along with the tyfanny lamp house) to make room for this place. Although I like the idea of this building, I know of only two remaining examples of this type of architecture in the city...circa 1890. In fact the online architecture survey (via the city museum website) chose this particular example for publication....http://www.raleighcitymuseum.org/arch_survey/Phase2/a_types.html

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Wow, that's a depressing loss. Perhaps the house could be moved? Of course, it would take someone with the combination of resources and desire, kind of rare to come by...

You raise a good point; it's sad to see historically significant architecture go in the name of progress. I wonder whether any consideration was given to moving the building; Terraserver shows that there are a number of open lots only a couple hundred yards from there in the neighborhood north of Peace St. These lots are not necessarily for sale, however, and moving it there might only postpone the inevitable.

I just passed the billboard for this project on Glenwood Today.  The

"Glen on Peace". Is going directly in front of the Paramount development. On the land beside the Starbucks coffee on glenwood. It will front Glenwood Avenue.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I think you have Glenwood and Peace mixed up (?). Its beside Starbucks on Peace near the intersection of Peace - Glenwood and it will front Peace St.

• 1 year later...

I was by the site of the Glen last night and they are taking down the home on the corner as we speak... apparently construction will start on the condos within about 60 days according to the developer I spoke with. The site plan went through sometime last year but I am guessing they needed to coninue with signing contracts in order to move forward with construction.

540_the_glen_no_crop.jpg

Whether you like the design or not, it will fill out the area next to Starbucks and the Paramount, and should add some street retail (in two retail units) to Peace.

Yeah, its very very conservative looking...reminds me of a suburban office building.....regarding the white house, they took off the roof somwhat carefully, then pulled a tarp over the main living area....does not seem that it is being moved but maybe atleast the period trim, floors etc are being saved/recycled?? Maybe just another regular demo of an a pre 1900 house though :cry:

Archived