The Glen on Peace

Justin6882

I hate to see that rare pyramidal victorian home demolished (along with the tyfanny lamp house) to make room for this place. Although I like the idea of this building, I know of only two remaining examples of this type of architecture in the city...circa 1890. In fact the online architecture survey (via the city museum website) chose this particular example for publication....http://www.raleighcitymuseum.org/arch_survey/Phase2/a_types.html

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This house isn't being demolished. They are moving it to Oakwood on Linden St. a couple blocks south of Oakwood Cemetary. They have the beams underneath now and were supposed to moveit today, but for some reason it didn't happen. Maybe they will move it tomorrow.

• 3 weeks later...

My friend lives over on Linden Ave, and we walked right by where the old house is being moved. It's an old vacant lot just south of Jones St, and should be a great spot for it. He said it was being brokered (financed?) by Oakwood and they struck a deal with the owner of the parcel in order to move it there. A great deal if you ask me, as the house is moving to a historic neighborhood where it should fit in very well. They had to remove the roof in order to get it under the power lines, street trees, etc.

• 2 months later...

I guess I'm in the minority here, but I really like this project. I like the floorplans, the location, the design, and think it fits in with the location brilliantly. Now I wouldn't want a unit overlooking the paramount's garage, but one facing Peace would be nice.

Personally I like the brick, and that's what I would want if I was a homeowner there. There is no way I would pay $300k+ for something sheathed in EIFS- not a good investment in my opinion.

It really sucks that there aren't more apartments and cheaper housing downtown that is going up. I love the Cameron Village, 5 Points, Glenwood area. It's just so frickin' hard to find a new place to live down there when I'm going to be coming out of college.

It really sucks that there aren't more apartments and cheaper housing downtown that is going up. I love the Cameron Village, 5 Points, Glenwood area. It's just so frickin' hard to find a new place to live down there when I'm going to be coming out of college.

Not trying to take this thread off topic, but check out Gateway Park near the Boylan Heights neighborhood...they're new, and they got 1 bed units at a somewhat decent price. (That is, if the suggestion that Jones133 makes above aren't to your liking.)

If you're not looking for glam, my neighborhood is pretty inexpensive -- I live on Cox Ave. behind Pullen Baptist Church and across from the Brownstone Hotel and I just pay $565 for two bedrooms in great condition! There are a number of places -- some better than others -- down Cox, Ashe, and Park. Also, I've seen some fairly inexpensive rentals Boylan Heights that were older homes split into apartments. I've been a few that were totally cool!

• 3 months later...

so is Ted Reynolds in charge of this project too? The house has been moved for months, and no construction. Actually I hope this one falls through. There are some beautiful trees on this lot...It would make a nice pocket park, particularly if the Peace Street corridor continues to urbanize...

I wish someone would build something on the sites of the tacky former fast food joints between Boylan and st. Marys. Steak Out is now closed, and the Subway is looking pretty peaked too...

Archived