Raleigh Annexation

Tayfromcarolina

With so much growth going on in Wake county I was wondering are there any recent or pending annexations. Especially in the areas around Briar Creek, North East Raleigh inbetween Wake forest and Triangle Town center Mall. And in the new US. 64 bypass area adjoining knightdale?

There are tons of new residences popping up in those areas from single family homes and townhomes.

Raleigh dosent seem to be as aggressive in annexing new areas like Charlotte or even fayetteville, adding tens of thousands of new residents at once.

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Raleigh is mostly landlocked by the surrounding cities/towns, a large state park, and the Falls Lake watershed, therefore there isn't much that can be annexed. I'm sure there's some stuff leftover in the ETJ, but don't expect Raleigh to grow much beyond its 124 sq miles.

Raleigh is mostly landlocked by the surrounding cities/towns, a large state park, and the Falls Lake watershed, therefore there isn't much that can be annexed. I'm sure there's some stuff leftover in the ETJ, but don't expect Raleigh to grow much beyond its 124 sq miles.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Given all of that, i guess there wont be a Raleigh-Wake County like there is in Charlotte and Jacksonville, FL where the city is the entire county!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I heard that Raleigh wouldnt be having any more annexations.

I heard that Raleigh wouldnt be having any more  annexations.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

There is a large swath of land from the east-side around Jones Sausage and up toward Poole Rd. (save the northern end for Knightdale) all the way to the Johnston County line that can be annexed as it becomes denser.

I wish that all of those people who flocked to Cary in the '80's and '90's flocked to somewhere within Raleigh instead, that would have been sweet. Then Cary would not have grown and annexed much, allowing Raleigh more room to annex. Oh well, let's sit back and watch the next boom town grow....

As far as Cary and Apex are concerned, I think having multiple municipalities is not necessarily a bad thing. It gives people here and newcomers options when it comes to what they like in a community. We don't need to be a Jacksonville or Charlotte and gobble up the entire county to make some top 20 population list. Wake county will be bigger than Mecklenburg and Duval counties soon enough if not already. I see just as many disadvantages as I do advantages in consolidation of services in that respect.

However, my only annexation beef that comes into play is with regards to taxation and use of services (i.e. roads, water, sewer, funding for mass transit funding, etc.). I feel those living in new neighborhoods not located "in the City of Raleigh" that are benefitting from anything that us city taxpayers fund, should indeed be annexed. My tax dollars should not go to support any services or benefits that others do not financially support.

I do notice that there are several developments popping up north of 540 and below Falls Lake that are not incorporated into the city. I do not know if they use city sewer lines or city water, but if they do, they should be annexed (like Wakefield) Does anyone know any details on the new developments and their use of city services?

Exactly I thought the same thing about cary and apex, darn.

Raleigh's 340,000 + Cary's 104,000 + Apex's 30,000 = 474,000

There is a lot of room on the eastern side of the county the new hope road area and also to the direct south, south of Tryon Road near lake wheeler. There is still a lot of land in between Raleigh and some of the other suburbs and exurbs which are around I think.

We are no worse off than Charlotte, probably better off. We won't run out of county wake county is huge, that's for sure.

I think Wakefield Plantation has already been annexed. When you cross over Capital Blvd. on US1-a from Wake Forest into Wakefield there is a sign that says Raleigh city limits. The city will probably annex the land going north on 401 near where the new Wake Tech North campus is being built as well. I dont think that area is in the city limits yet

Exactly I thought the same thing about cary and apex, darn.

Raleigh's 340,000 + Cary's 104,000 + Apex's 30,000 = 474,000

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

For what its worth...

I believe the original poster also included Garner which would add another 22,000 or so.

Raleigh-340,000 (isn't this closer to 350,000 now?)

Cary-104,000

Apex-30,000

Garner-22,000

total:498,000

As of January 2005 Raleigh was estimated to have 335,000 people. Even if you combine all of those surrounding towns, Charlotte is still a bigger and more consistently developed city. With Raleigh, Garner, Cary, and Apex combined, the total land area I'm sure would be greater than Charlotte (if you can believe that) by a notable margin. But since Charlotte's January 2005 population estimate is something over 600,000 (604k?) there is quite an alarming difference in density. So... Raleigh is represented better using is present day boundaries.

Wake County is huge and there is a lot of undeveloped land in it. In this case, the multiple municipalities are sort of a good thing--look at all the existing downtowns that can be tapped into! :) Cooperation in the Triangle is second to none. Even though some towns are less responsible than others, I believe some agreements have been and will be reached. This isn't the Triad or Atlanta :P

Did anyone see the article on Johnston County in the N&O? Johnston County is largely rural and laden with farms. It is on the southeast side of Wake County and has become a popular spot for Triangle sprawl. It is also a very large county.

Apparently all the new arrivals out there in their sprawlicious newly constructed suburban neighborhoods are mad because of farm vehicles holding up traffic, etc. Some people have also complained about bad odors from cow pastures, etc. The news article mentioned that real estate agents may be required to inform would-be Johnston County residents that they are moving into an area with a lot of farms, so be prepared...

I suppose it is more expensive to live in Wake than in one of the surrounding non-urban counties. I consider the elevated cost of living as payment for greater convenience and fewer bad odors :D

I was looking at municipal boundaries/etj's etc etc about a week ago; Raleigh doesn't have much room, but there are some areas towards the southeast and northeast.

What are the odds that Raleigh swallows any of its surrounding suburbs?

I meant swallow as in merging and actually being in Raleigh city limits. I doubt it'd happen anytime soon, but I could possibly see Wake Forest joining Raleigh.

Garner is probably too large for that to happen, but Garner is intersting because it sits closer to the CBD than the majority of Raleigh.

Archived