Few random Louisville skyline pics

tonytt

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I drove across that bridge recently and I have to admit I had no idea that Louisville was so big! It's no NYC of course, but I didn't expect to see the downtown that I did. I thought it was pretty awesome, especially with it being on the water. I wish we could have had time to stop and explore.

• 4 months later...

Louisville is cool. I visited back in '99 and had fun--didn't really get a chance to explore the city though. We stayed in the Galt House Hotel downtown. Does the convention center have an adjoining hotel now? We had to walk a few blocks down the street from the hotel to the convention center.

Louisville is cool. I visited back in '99 and had fun--didn't really get a chance to explore the city though. We stayed in the Galt House Hotel downtown. Does the convention center have an adjoining hotel now? We had to walk a few blocks down the street from the hotel to the convention center.

Yes the new Marriot that opened earlier this year.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Now that is an impressive skyline. I actually had no idea Louisville had nearly 700,000 people in the city. Surprise, surprise. ;)

VERY nice... I hope to visit someday.

Louisville's city includes 385 sq miles now bc it merged with its county (which is small). The MSA is 1.2 million and the CSA is 1.33 million. It is identical in size to pre Katrina New Orleans. Still, Louisville is one of the larger cities in the Southeast.

• 3 months later...

The Skyline is great. But I've always remembered Louisville for its very nice collection of cantalevered bridges. The Clark Mamorial Bridge (US-31) is my favorite. There's a certain grace about it. I'd like to see more photos of Lousville's bridges.

Louisville's city includes 385 sq miles now bc it merged with its county (which is small). The MSA is 1.2 million and the CSA is 1.33 million. It is identical in size to pre Katrina New Orleans. Still, Louisville is one of the larger cities in the Southeast.

what do you mean by merged with the county? i dont really get that. and when you say includes 385 sq mi, is that 385 extra sq mi? and if it didnt merge with the county would the population still be almost 700,000? please explain for an outsider.

what do you mean by merged with the county? i dont really get that. and when you say includes 385 sq mi, is that 385 extra sq mi? and if it didnt merge with the county would the population still be almost 700,000? please explain for an outsider.

In 2003, the original city of Louisville and those areas of Jefferson County not incorporated, merged. The old city had lost nearly 30% of its population since 1960 (when it had 390,000) by 2000 (when it had 256,000), and fell to 2nd place behind Lexington (which had previously merged with the county it was located in, Fayette County). Upon the merger, it's population grew by nearly 300,000 to 551,000 (556,000 as of 2004). The remainder of the county consists of 83 (!) separate incorporated towns making up an additional 144,000 people (for a total of 700,000 overall).

If the city hadn't merged with the unincorporated areas of Jefferson County, it would likely still be declining to around only 250,000 today. Pre-merger, Louisville was only 62 square miles in size. The county itself is 385 square miles total (that includes Louisville & the 83 other towns). I don't know what the exact size of the current city post-merger EXCLUDING the 83 other towns (some references just cite the 385 square miles, but that's the county).

Hope that helps.

Archived