Not so Spectactular

La Florida

I hate to say it but I was soo dissapointed with the 4th of July "celebrations" in Jacksonville, both downtown and the beaches. Sure the fireworks downtown were awesome but what else was there to do? Nothing. The Landing closed shortly after the fireworks, at least thats what security told me. Sure the restuarants stayed open but not everyone wants to eat, especially after eating BBQ all day. Twisted Martini gave a little spark but besides that it was completely dead after the fireworks. It was particurly embarrassing to me because I had family in town from New York and couldnt find any life anywhere except for Club Kartouche (teenie boppers). So we figured we would head to the Beach around 12..can we say Ghost Town. Bars-closed, Sneakers-closed, Streets-still closed but no people walking because most entertainment venues were closed. I know it was a Monday Night which is understandable, but Holidays, especially the fourth deserve exceptions to the rules. All bars, restuarants, and so on should stay open til at least 3 wkday or wknd. For the visitors, not just mine who spent their fourth in Jax..we did not leave a good impression. More thought and effort should be put into these events to carry them on through the night and give people a reason to stay and not abandon ship after the fireworks...and im sorry but not everyone in JAx is a FAN of Country music!! Every year its the same ol' same ol'. How about a night parade or something, shut down Bay again, a carnaval, encore fireworks display or something. Thats just my opinion, what do you all think??

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Jacksonville is a growing city, but its not there yet. That's pretty much my opinion. I think a lot of these issues will be solved if the city can get several entertainment type uses (sidewalk dining, bars, theaters, arcades, etc.) to locate within a compact setting. This will make it much easier for a diverse amount of bars/restaurants to survive, people watching, street closing for festivals, etc. Until then, expect more of the same.

kind of related, but kind of not.

family in town for the first time . where to bring the kids to a water park? adventure landing by the beaches right? ugh. so horrible. 3 slides? give me a break. This town is missing a handful of things to make it complete. a decent water slide is one of them!

also, why is there no aquarium here? why???

Jax is only a 2-3 hour drive from Orlando. Hence, no reason to have theme parks. If you don't want to drive to Orlando, there's Jekyll Island, which is more like 1-1.5 hours away. Summer Waves is still open, right? That's basically a full-sized water park.

I love aquariums ... but I wouldn't want to pay for one. From what I understand, they almost always lose money. Or we could have an aquarium that's small and kind of pathetic like the DC aquarium (at least it was 10 years ago). I would certainly like an aquarium in Jax, but I don't really want another financial scandal either.

I'd pay some money to see some fish. I've always been thinking an aquarium on the River City Brewing company land would be awesome. Financially it wouldn't be the best use for the land, but its close proximity to the museum, fountain, and landing would make that a cultural destination.

DC's aquarium probably sucked because of baltimore's close proximity. I was in baltimore recently and they have either just finished or are undergoing an expansion of the aquarium, but then again it is the national aquarium. so thats an example of a profitable aquarium. an aquarium/restaurant like the one at epcot could be more appealing or profitable to jax.

If Jacksonville is lacking in so much and forum members are quick to point out the shortcomings of what could arguably be classified as a large town, then I am sure there are entrepreneurs and potential franchise owners who are so outspoken.

It's easy to complain and easier to do nothing about it.

well i am in no position to do anything about it, but this place could really use an aquarium. its not like we are trashing the town by saying that. wow.

in somewhat good news on the subject, i hear the mosh is going to be adding a few tanks to the naturalist room soon.

^ By all means my point was/is not to trash the city BUT, I personally feel like I played my part by actually staying IN TOWN, going to DOWNTOWN, inviting family from OUT OF TOWN.....and all this just to be LET DOWN. All im saying is that in order for downtown to be vibrant, exciting, the city must learn how to take advantage of the few events that bring hoards of people downtown at once. The 4th of july festivities should be used as a marketing tool for downtown Jacksonville. We get em here to watch fireworks, but lets do a little more to keep em here after the fireworks long enough to see the potential. A night parade, later closings, neighborhood trolley tours, or something. Sorry guys, sure developers build the buildings, but people(the city) build excitement.

^ By all means my point was/is not to trash the city BUT, I personally feel like I played my part by actually staying IN TOWN, going to DOWNTOWN, inviting family from OUT OF TOWN.....and all this just to be LET DOWN. All im saying is that in order for downtown to be vibrant, exciting, the city must learn how to take advantage of the few events that bring hoards of people downtown at once. The 4th of july festivities should be used as a marketing tool for downtown Jacksonville. We get em here to watch fireworks, but lets do a little more to keep em here after the fireworks long enough to see the potential. A night parade, later closings, neighborhood trolley tours, or something. Sorry guys, sure developers  build the buildings, but people(the city) build excitement.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I agree. I have a business associate who traveled to Louisville for the 4th of July. According to him, its downtown was pretty crowed that weekend, mainly do to 4th Street Live, a Landing-type entertainment complex, that has attracted a nice amount of popular restaurants and bars. There's no reason or excuse why the same type of things can't happen in downtown on a daily basis. The pictures of this place that he took were very nice. I'll post some a little later once I get free some time.

I agree.  I have a business associate who traveled to Louisville for the 4th of July.  According to him, its downtown was pretty crowed that weekend, mainly do to 4th Street Live, a Landing-type entertainment complex, that has attracted a nice amount of popular restaurants and bars.  There's no reason or excuse why the same type of things can't happen in downtown on a daily basis.  The pictures of this place that he took were very nice.  I'll post some a little later once I get free some time.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Cool Lake, im looking forward to seeing those..

I'm sure there was (and still is) a lot to do in Jax for the 4th, but you probably weren't looking hard enough. Sometimes the most offbeat places can host the best events. La Florida makes it sound as if Jax is totally void of culture!

As for water parks...ugh. We have 4 here in Orlando and with the exception of the Disney water parks, the other's all smell like piss water! No thanks...

Archived