New Wake County Landfill

avery

Should Wake Count Comissioners allow a new landfill in Holly Springs?  

8 members have voted

1. 1. Should Wake Count Comissioners allow a new landfill in Holly Springs?

• Yes, put in Holly Springs since they previously agreed to it?
    • No, locate it outside of Wake County, Holly Springs has changed too much since the first agreement was made?

I saw on the news last night that Wake County will probably put this issue to voting public. I'm interested in what everyone thinks about this issue. I beleive the location is off of the Holly Springs bypass where development is sparse now, but expected to explode according to the town's mayor. This statement is probably likely more once 540 cuts through the area. To me, this is a far greater NIMBY issue than Glen-Tree or various other development projects in the area.

Any alternative locations?

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

While I'll admit I haven't been keeping up with this situation other than just hearing on the news a few times (not really listening), I feel like Wake County should keep its trash in Wake county. I wouldn't want Durham County's trash in Wake County, so why impose our trash on someone else...even if we do pay them.

At any rate, maybe we should put landfills all around 540 to keep the sprawl down ;)

facetiousness aside, putting it just about anywhere in north or east Wake County is a no go, since it's the watershed for the Neuse River and Falls Lake. Don't want putrid goo leaking from the landfill into the water there.

This is before my time, but supposedly there used to be a dump where the soccer fields by Dorothea Dix are. That's probably the main factor that earned Rocky Branch its designation as the most polluted urban stream in the state.

Archived