First Charlotte satellite city to get a skyline

Which of these is more likely to develop a skyline first?  

116 members have voted

1. 1. Which of these is more likely to develop a skyline first?

• Concord
    • Gastonia
    • Hickory
    • Lancaster
    • Monroe
    • Rock Hill
    • Salisbury
    • Statesville
    • Other

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I voted Concord, but in all honesty do not believe ANY of them will ever have a skyline. That is one of the BIG difference between here and Atlanta. In ATL they have skrapers 30 miles out from downtown. I do not think Charlotte is looking to be ATL in that respect. If anything, I think a second skyline is plausable at the Adams Mark site, alongside the old Midtown Square area. Another Possibly is Southpark (granted it is not a suburb, but is far enough out to be identified as SP alone). Technically SP has a "mini" skyline already it is just capped at around 18 stories or so. According to my latest research Southpark already has more square footage of Class A office space than the CBD of Raleigh. Pretty impressive stat if you ask me.

On another note, it would not be at all improbable to see the CBD skyline extended towards the South Blvd corridor. Specifically, the Southend District. However I think that there might be a 120' height restriction south of the Arlington. (again I could be wrong on this). ;)

A2

I don't think any of them will have a skyline either.  Do any of them have any tall buildings to speak of?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Salisbury has the Plaza Building which is a wonderfully built building in downtown. Granted it is only 100 feet tall, but the old architecture is quite beautiful.

B)

http://www.emporis.com/en/il/im/?id=284519

Here is a shot from Emporis.

A2

Oh that is lovely!

I doubt it will be the anchor of a big Salisbury skyline though. :)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I do not think the people of Salisbury would ever allow anything taller than what they have. Small town folk don't like big city buildings. :D

A2

i voted Salisbury because it has a number of factors that work for it over the others:

- It has a really decent main street with attractive architecture, density, and history, as well as a very wide main street to support infrastructure for growth.

- a major freeway runs just adjacent to its downtown, which is not true of any other listed towns except gastonia. I think downtown freeways, as controversial as they may be, are definitely a factor in developing a skyline.

- the city is part of NC's high speed train corridor and 85 major interstate connector corridor connecting the 3 major metros of nc.

- Salisbury is centrally between the triad and charlotte, which means that even though it benefits from both metros economically, and gets the trade and traffic between them, it is also less of a bedroom community for those metros, so its growth will be centered more on its city (i think this will help its skyline)

i think all the counties will urbanize between wake county and gaston county along the 85 corridor as the 3 metros grow. I think the urban counties (Guilford, Forsyth, Meck, Wake and Durham) will all grow the major skylines, then the adjacent counties will be more suburban in nature... but the cities just between the metros, Salisbury and Burlington, i suspect they will become much more like smaller cities with smaller skylines.

Concord COULD have had a mini-skyline along speedway blvd.....but the airport will severly limit that potential......that said, none of the others will likely have one......if any do, it will be concentrated at an interstate interchange, and nowhere near the historic downtown.

maybe we need a clarification of what determines a "skyline" is. I'm thinking a handful of 10 storey or higher buildings. i think that all the listed towns/cities have some level of skyline already.

perhaps a better way to ask it would be which satellite city will have the highest employment or high-density residential growth in its downtown.(?)

this is technically part of charlotte, but Ballantyne, that will be the first "satillite city to get a skyline

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

yeah southpark, ballantyne.. places around the city not in downtown will have more developed skylines than these other surrounding cities.

I'm fairly impressed with Salisbury, too. They really have something nice going on downtown, and developers have already started to take note. When I went there a couple months ago, There were a number of brand new commercial properties as well as a residential building under construction.

The Plaza Building in Salisbury is built at the very top of a fairly steep hill, so that even if there were a 15 story building, say, by the train station, the 7-story Plaza would still dominate the skyline.

I think Salisbury is really too far away to benefit much from what is going on in Charlotte. Land is too cheap and zoning too loose for any of those other places to develop a skyline. A company locating in one of these places will build a campus instead of a tower as it cost a lot less money.

The most likely place to develop a skyline isn't on that list. I would say Southern Iredell county at Exit 32- 36. The area is growing at an astounding rate, and there are are already proposals to build two towers above 10 stories. (both hotels). It differs from the other areas as state and local watershed rules restrict what can be built so highrises start to make sense there. The Lowes HQ & NASCAR is responsible for a lot of smaller companies locating to the area. And finally the area is starting to realize that Lake Norman is a very attractive asset that makes the area unique. Just last night someone told me that it was like going to a resort. The biggest problem this area has is resistance by the population to further growth.

I don't think any of them will have a skyline either.  Do any of them have any tall buildings to speak of?

Monroe has the courthouse which is 10 stories. Not sure of the actual height in feet though. Other than that there really isn't anything out of the ordinary for a typical downtown. The courthouse is typical 70's architecture and is quite ugly IMO, but I suppose it is a high-rise of such and can be seen for miles away depending on where you are.

http://www.emporis.com/en/wm/bu/?id=221392

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I think the hotel in Concord is suppose to be only 10 stories. I've been gone from the area for a few months so I am not exactly sure. Last thing I remember was the same developer of the Embassy Suites in Concord was also purposing a 12 story Marriot hotel on Lake Norman in South Iredell. I know the other hotel proposed for Lake Norman was rejected, but has anybody heard anything recently about the Marriot proposal?

• 1 month later...

It's truely amazing how the entire shouthest is growing. Chrarlotte is a great city. I know that there is a lot of rivalry between Atlanta and Charlotte but that's because where family and only family knows how to push your buttons. I've only been to Charlotte once but loved it. I can't wait to go again and see how you have grown. Very exciting news here on this thread.

• 6 months later...

It's looks like Mooresville is on track to get a mini-skyline. So far a 12 story Marriott as well as another unnamed 8 story hotel have been proposed for the town. To top that off, according to Charlotte Observer there is going to be an annoucement on Thursday of a 800 million dollar project. More than likely it is going to be on the west side of town where land is beginning to become scarce, so I wouldn't be suprised if it includes some midrise or low highrise buildings.

Archived