Springield projects

BosTech

What is a deal with Pearl/8th street,8th and Silver,3rd and Main st projects?

Anyone knows when they are going to start building those?

How about roads getting new surface,I think that will change feel and look of whole area.

I also noticed some renovations on Main street,what are those projects?

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As I'm finding out first hand, these things take time and can get pretty complicated, especially when trying to build in a historic district, such as Springfield. There's a series of groups you must get the approval of, such as Jax Historic Preservation Commission, SPAR, and Jax Planning and Zoning.

On top of this, many of these urban infill projects (all of the above) have to apply as PUD (Planned Unit Developments) which tacks on at least another 90 days.

Anyway, I've heard that 8th & Pearl should be underway in the next month or two and 3rd & Main, by the end of the year. Other than that, the Goffin Building (www.goffinbuilding.com) and 11th St townhomes are well underway. There's also a rumor that Walgreens is buying the Shell station on the corner of 8th & Boulevard. Judging from all the blue public hearing signs I saw today, I'm sure there will be more announcements coming soon.

11th St townhomes is a renovation project on the NW corner of 11th and Silver Streets. Some other planned projects I failed to mention earlier are Hogan's Corner, Liberty Lofts and The Pearl.

Hogan's Corner

siteplan%20copy-revised_brochure2.jpg

Hogan's Corner is a mixed use development that will include 7 single family homes and a commercial building at 8th & Perry Streets. Unfortunately it looks like they're including a suburban parking lot at the corner. I wonder what JHPC and SPAR think about this?

link:

http://hoganscorner.net/

Liberty Lofts

renderfade.gif

Liberty Lofts will include 29 loft apartments in the old Chevrolet Parts Depot warehouse on Liberty Street near the railroad tracks. This warehouse is special because it is one of the few buildings in town (vacant Ford Plant under Matthews Bridge being the other) that was designed by famous turn of the century Detroit architect, Albert Kahn.

link:

www.urbanspaces.cc

The Pearl

The Pearl will be an upscale bar that will be located in an older building on the corner of First & Main. It may be a re-creation of the popular Art Bar, which recently closed in Riverside. It should bring in a new demographic group needed to help Main Street reach its potential as the new bohemian commercial corridor, replacing Five Points.

Lake: I mean on the east side of that block of Perry Street, there are I believe two remaining old homes from the 1910s or so. They lie between the vacant lot at 7th and Perry and the old tire store at 8th and Perry. Maybe these are outside the scope of the project entirely. What do you know?

It seems like Springfield is experiencing a "boom". I know it's like 5 or 6 projects, but it seems like that area has alot happening at one time. I can't wait for the street scaping project! That really changes the entire character and experience as one drives (or dare I say, walks?) down Main Street.

Archived