35-40 story office building proposed for norfolk

brucewayne

who knows where this information is coming from regarding the 35-40-story office building that is proposed for downtown Norfolk?

it seems like the information is on point, but are there any more details? I haven't been able to find anything on it in the newspaper and a source I have in city government says there is no deal yet.

is this information accurate? It is defined by letter J on the map that recently ran here.

• Replies 360
  • Created
  • Last Reply

who knows where this information is coming from regarding the 35-40-story office building that is proposed for downtown Norfolk?

it seems like the information is on point, but are there any more details? I haven't been able to find anything on it in the newspaper and a source I have in city government says there is no deal yet.

is this information accurate? It is defined by letter J on the map that recently ran here.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That is one of the most frequently asked questions on here, haha. but there is very little info on this project, and I don't even think we know who found the info in the first place. The project's status is speculative, at best. My source says nothing about this building.

PS- Welcome to the forum! :)

No one can come up with viable information on this project. I have no idea where this even came from.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

LOL, me neither. My friend at planning says that Granby is the tallest building under development now, so I don't know if this was just once some rough plan or what. The lot where the building would go is sure prime property though, so I would expect something there within the next few years.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

There was a tower proposed a few years back that was in that range that was scrapped because of a tanking economy due to 9/11 (it was a 33-story tower related to the vertical power center, i believe we have discussed this elsewhere on the site). This may very well have been that tower and the residual rumors have persisted for years (or maybe they have simply delayed this tower and now the economics finally exist to build it). It is a fact that there are several projects under development that have yet to be released by the city. Considering how tight lipped the city has been about the Hilton project it is likely that if such a major project does exist, it will be wrapped in such a veil of secrecy that even our sources will be reluctant to provide any information (that is until all I's are dotted and t's crossed). I too have been told by sources that something is in the works, but until i learn something more concrete i'll continue to think of this one more as a "maybe" than anything else.

The rumor was started by an individual (not going to mention name) on another site about a year or so ago. The individual seems to have some behind the scenes knowledge of developments in Norfolk. I'm not sure if the rumor will ever transpire, but I'm pretty sure that a new office building will be built in the near future. After the Trader is built the vacancy rate downtown will dip in to the single digits, so more office space will surely be needed. It's kind of hard to tell when this will happen with Norfolk being so secretive about developments. This tower may already be under evaluation, but we will never know until the city releases the information.

The rumor was started by an individual (not going to mention name) on another site about a year or so ago. The individual seems to have some behind the scenes knowledge of developments in Norfolk. I'm not sure if the rumor will ever transpire, but I'm pretty sure that a new office building will be built in the near future. After the Trader is built the vacancy rate downtown will dip in to the single digits, so more office space will surely be needed. It's kind of hard to tell when this will happen with Norfolk being so secretive about developments. This tower may already be under evaluation, but we will never know until the city releases the information.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hmm... If we're thinking of the same individual he is also the one who created the original map. The one who created the map worked for the city as well.

Yep, same guy. He has been integral to providing us with several leads on projects with Norfolk. I do not know if he is still with the city but I have found the original post dated 12/14/2004. Keep in mind that some of the things stated in the quote have just now started happening, so i feel a little better about the reliability of this info. Below was a response to a forumer questioning why this individual had added J to the map and how he knew it would be 35-40 stories.

I have some inside information that indicates this is going to happen.

Additionally, the city is in the process of buying land at and around the Downtown Plaza.  Look for massive demolition (except for the fire station) of the entire area (just started last month).

This is where the big office towers are going to go:

downtownplaza22kp.jpg

This person was also the original informant as to the courts tower. As well as the original source of almost all aerial maps and renderings that have been provided.

It's my understanding that the 14-15 story courts building would be built adjacent to the School Admin building.  There is some discussion on combining the Courts building with a new City Hall - that would likely increase the proposed height.

norfolkschooladminsite2xa.jpg

The 35-40 story office building would be on the Snyder Lot, which is the parking lot immediately east of the Courtyard by Marriott.

snyderlot0bd.jpg

And finally, when pressed for more details he had this to say (again on 12/14/2004)

I think the city will announce, in coming months or years, their intentions for the Downtown Plaza.

After the Trader is built the vacancy rate downtown will dip in to the single digits, so more office space will surely be needed. It's kind of hard to tell when this will happen with Norfolk being so secretive about developments. This tower may already be under evaluation, but we will never know until the city releases the information.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Actually, Downtown vacancy rates have already hit their single digits due in large part to BB&T's move to the former Suntrust Tower, then Peter Decker's group and TowneBank's move into BB&T's former building, Maersk Line move into space in the BAnk of America Tower and recently Bank of Hampton Roads announcement to bring it's administrative operations into the Dominion Tower. The 12% vacancy rate was already there before Trader announced it's Tower and obviously before all these moves so it's obvious that we already have single digit vacancy downtown.

As for a new Tower, it'd be great but as we all know, Norfolk is so secretive and quiet about Downtown developments. The only "official" announcement of a new office tower was by the mayor earlier this year around March on an interview that was televised several times when he hinted saying "in the near future we may be poised for a new office tower."

"in the near future we may be poised for a new office tower."

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I forgot about that. I think we posted that video here a few months ago. So at least they're starting to pay some public lip-service to this tower now. Thats more than what was occurring when the idea was originally brought up. Honestly, I would be happy with 30-33 on this one. I just have a feeling that we may be disapppointed if we keep focusing on that 40 number.

I forgot about that. I think we posted that video here a few months ago. So at least they're starting to pay some public lip-service to this tower now. Thats more than what was occurring when the idea was originally brought up. Honestly, I would be happy with 30-33 on this one. I just have a feeling that we may be disapppointed if we keep focusing on that 40 number.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yup! You posted the video in the Norfolk Hilton thread. It's one of those low-key "PR moves" lol. He basically said there are plans for a new office tower with that small statement. Whether is ends up as another low-20's tower or 40-story tower remains to be seen but it'd be nice to see the developer not be so conservative as the others and at least shoot for the 30's range. I personally am not looking for a 40's tower yet until we get the 30's in there (Granby Tower is great but I'm talking about strictly office towers with ground floor retail.)

Yup! You posted the video in the Norfolk Hilton thread. It's one of those low-key "PR moves" lol. He basically said there are plans for a new office tower with that small statement. Whether is ends up as another low-20's tower or 40-story tower remains to be seen but it'd be nice to see the developer not be so conservative as the others and at least shoot for the 30's range. I personally am not looking for a 40's tower yet until we get the 30's in there (Granby Tower is great but I'm talking about strictly office towers.)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

40 would be absolutely great but they would have to have either 1) a huge fortune 500 relocation or 2) 2 smaller fortune 500's to fill such a signature tower or 3) have some condo mixed use component. I just don't see us sustaining 40 stories of pure office yet. Maybe in the next 5 years, but i think we still have a ways to go.

40 would be absolutely great but they would have to have either 1) a huge fortune 500 relocation or 2) 2 smaller fortune 500's to fill such a signature tower or 3) have some condo mixed use component. I just don't see us sustaining 40 stories of pure office yet. Maybe in the next 5 years, but i think we still have a ways to go.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The tower doesn't have to be just a fortune 500 company it could be multiple companies at that tower. Bunch of financial instutions and other small businesses in the tower.

The tower doesn't have to be just a fortune 500 company it could be multiple companies at that tower. Bunch of financial instutions and other small businesses in the tower.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I know but i'm basing this off of the recent shuffling of several of our areas major companies. They have either already moved into new offices or taken up vacancies where others have left. It is much more likely now that any new office will be from an outside company, and most companies that have the resources to make such a move will be fortune 500.

Archived