35-40 story office building proposed for norfolk

brucewayne

Yeah Wachovia uses some space in the World Trade Center, as far as tearing it down for better use of the land, yea that true but 150 W. Main was designed to complement it so, it would make 150 W. Main look out of place if someone tore it down and built a tower that doesn't help 150 fit in

Well in that case they could build a tower that would compliment 150 Main now! :thumbsup: I think it needs to stay. Its a unique building and it leaves views for other buildings to see the river. Build the taller buildings back away from the water.

• Replies 360
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah Wachovia uses some space in the World Trade Center, as far as tearing it down for better use of the land, yea that true but 150 W. Main was designed to complement it so, it would make 150 W. Main look out of place if someone tore it down and built a tower that doesn't help 150 fit in

I like how it looks too. It's unique and I like how it curves to fit the bend of the road.

Well in that case they could build a tower that would compliment 150 Main now! :thumbsup: I think it needs to stay. Its a unique building and it leaves views for other buildings to see the river. Build the taller buildings back away from the water.

Yeah that's true. It kinda provides the "chokehold" on developers to make them build taller elsewhere.

I like how it looks too. It's unique and I like how it curves to fit the bend of the road.

Yeah I like it too and it's uniqueness (<sp?). I mean, there must've a been good reason why World Trade and 150 W. Main was the backdrop for Kelly and Regis' show. It shows that World Trade Center should stay.

Yeah that's true. It kinda provides the "chokehold" on developers to make them build taller elsewhere.

Yeah I like it too and it's uniqueness (<sp?). I mean, there must've a been good reason why World Trade and 150 W. Main was the backdrop for Kelly and Regis' show. It shows that World Trade Center should stay.

Well that maybe because its right behind Nauticus

I would rather see the tallest buildings located a couple blocks in from the waterfront. That terraced appearance makes a skyline look dense and fabulous. With the tallest buildings up front you see only those buildings, not the whole cluster of buildings that make up the downtown.

I would rather see the tallest buildings located a couple blocks in from the waterfront. That terraced appearance makes a skyline look dense and fabulous. With the tallest buildings up front you see only those buildings, not the whole cluster of buildings that make up the downtown.

I agree. I should have made that point in my earlier statement.

Yes, the World Trade Center with 150 Main make a beautiful impression from Waterside Dr. 150 Main doesn't do too much for me from the East, where you see that clumsy transition from garage to office tower(IMO).

The Sheraton could use a clever face lift (at least). I always thought it was dull, but the height is appropriate for the location. The building I dislike the most is what they used to call the "New Royster Building," directly across the street from the Sheraton. Boxy, clunky and downright stupid. You'd have a tough time revamping it. Perhaps with a new and textured, stone facade, and the Hanging Gardens of Babylon " look, with vines and greenery accenting corners and setbacks.

But Fraim said it takes at the very least 3 years to get it rolling so it could be another year before we hear anything and I have a feeling it might just be another 20 story building.

Yeah, the problem right now is that HR's demand for office space is pretty linear, i.e. the demand increases with population. There isn't any real strong demand for office space downtown, (Trade Building excluded) from new companies entering the area. New demand is just natural growth of existing firms, so building a 35-40 story tower that will sit half empty or so for 6-8 years isn't very economically feasible. HR needs to do a better job of attracting businesses, and I think there is finally being some effort made there, especially with Norfolk's revitalization. Also improved regional economic cooperation will hopefully lead to some positive development as well, including stronger demand for office space.

Once the housing slowdown hits full swing and the mortgage brokers will all downsize/disappear. That may possibly free up some space downtown. Then it could be leased by all of the lawyers that will be involved once the lawsuits start flying!

I'm looking at getting rid of my office space in Virginia Beach and moving to the Norfolk Industrial Park. There appears to be some space over there, and it would put be closer to one of the telcom providers (Company does web hosting / internet related stuff). If I could just get a sales call in return. I do worry that they will only want to lease large areas of space, or want long terms. We will see.

I regularly work in the BB&T tower downtown and there is a sign up saying there is some 70k square feet availible in that building. It is indeed higher class B space, not class A space. I do notice that the majority of the workers and businesses seem to be finance or law related, my client being the only technology company in that particular building that I know of. Working downtown is fun. I used to go out to eat often but am trying to cut back, too expensive.

Anyone know what the class A space is going for?

I wish I could tell how much office space overall is availible, and what the trends are. The small business park I'm in now has for lease signs everywhere. That isn't a scientific indicator by any means.

I just want to see the 35 story Virginia Beach tower break ground. Get that puppy underway and past the point of no return.

40+ stories isn't so hard to reach these days. Just think mixed use: stores and restaurants/garage/office/condos/hotel in some combination gets you views and visibility without over-building in a limited market. I'm amazed that this hasn't happened already in downtown Norfolk.

40+ stories isn't so hard to reach these days. Just think mixed use: stores and restaurants/garage/office/condos/hotel in some combination gets you views and visibility without over-building in a limited market. I'm amazed that this hasn't happened already in downtown Norfolk.

Well it will probably be another year from now before we hear anything about another office tower.

That might be right. When Trader moves into its new building the space they vacate will be available for lease. So vacancy rates will inch up slightly. So saying in about a year just might be correct!

But then again, who knows what the future holds! :huh:

I don't think they have class A space right now or do they?

Yes, the World Trade Center with 150 Main make a beautiful impression from Waterside Dr. 150 Main doesn't do too much for me from the East, where you see that clumsy transition from garage to office tower(IMO).

The Sheraton could use a clever face lift (at least). I always thought it was dull, but the height is appropriate for the location. The building I dislike the most is what they used to call the "New Royster Building," directly across the street from the Sheraton. Boxy, clunky and downright stupid. You'd have a tough time revamping it. Perhaps with a new and textured, stone facade, and the Hanging Gardens of Babylon " look, with vines and greenery accenting corners and setbacks.

lol :rofl:

Archived