35-40 story office building proposed for norfolk

brucewayne

• Replies 360
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Bank of America building was built in 1968.

Two Commerical Place in 1976.

500 E. Main St. (BB&T) in 1972.

If you ever wondered why there is a pedestrian bridge from the BOA Tower to Two Commercial Place, now you know.

BOA has office space in both building.

If the BOA Tower stays, then at least have the prime real estate between the existing tower and Waterside Drive developed. Parks are nice in urban settings, not open fields! B)

I strongly disagree with your wanting to develop the "fields." Green spaces here and there are great for urban landscapes. They don't have to be parks, just a grassy area is great for enjoying on a blanket, playing with your dog and watching fireworks. Some of the most saught after real estate, in cities, is usually by green spaces and parks. We aught to think about a area to clear or designate as a inner city park for Norfolk, like a "Central Park" in NYC or Ritten House Square in Philly.

BofA has one of their major credit card processing centers here in Norfolk.

As much as I'd like to see another building of significant height in DT Norfolk, I would prefer to keep that green space in front of BofA just the way it is. It's not much green space in DT as it stands now.

I strongly disagree with your wanting to develop the "fields." Green spaces here and there are great for urban landscapes. They don't have to be parks, just a grassy area is great for enjoying on a blanket, playing with your dog and watching fireworks. Some of the most saught after real estate, in cities, is usually by green spaces and parks. We aught to think about a area to clear or designate as a inner city park for Norfolk, like a "Central Park" in NYC or Ritten House Square in Philly.

If it's a 40 story high rise or a green field on the waterfront I'd take the building.

I agree that Downtown could use some more green space, but the area in front of the BoA isn't a good green space. It's isolated and next to a large highway. Furthermore, Town Point Park and the public space between Sheraton and Dominion Tower are very close by. I'd like to see more green space in Downtown's interior.

I agree that Downtown could use some more green space, but the area in front of the BoA isn't a good green space. It's isolated and next to a large highway. Furthermore, Town Point Park and the public space between Sheraton and Dominion Tower are very close by. I'd like to see more green space in Downtown's interior.

I don't think DT Norfolk is big enough to justify green space like you guys are talking about. We really need to have the DT grow much much more before I see that justified!

Well first off, there is a huge drive through banking center in the middle of the green space that is there. Second, the plaza that surrounds the building could be put to better use as a garden of natural plants or at least ones that won't suck up tons of water. Third, I have seen yards in nice areas of Norfolk and VA Beach with much better landscaping than that.

Finally, please do an experiment and have a "picnic" on the grass of the BoA building. I think you may find yourself being asked to politely leave the premises before the fireworks begin, especially if you have a dog.

I still think that that ugly parking garage at Commerical Place needs to be imploded!!! Thats prime real estate as well! Good for a new signature office tower 40 floors or more!!!

I definitely agree with you on that! I can't believe that they occupy such a valuable location when they could be asked to consolidate into a brand spanking new office tower along with a new anchor tenant. The Commerical Place property coud fetch a pretty good penny because location is everything and just imagine the effect on our skyline if a 40 story tower rose in it's place! Also, could a tower be built on top of the Dominion tower parking garage? If not, I say tear it down and replace it with a combo office tower garage that could serve both towers.

Also, could a tower be built on top of the Dominion tower parking garage? If not, I say tear it down and replace it with a combo office tower garage that could serve both towers.

I say leave it as it is. Personally, if a tower was built there and I was in that building on the side near the highway, I wouldn't be happy to see cars zinging by my office window just feet away. Additionally, building a tower on either side of Dominion could potentially drop it's value dramatically. There's a reason why it has the most expensive leasing rate in the region.

It is.

I think it would be better if they tore down the curved 11 story wachovia building on tidewater drive and put the wachovia offices into a new forty story building. That curved building takes up large footstep that could be redeveloped and utilized a lot more. It could probably fit two trader towers on it.

I think it would be better if they tore down the curved 11 story wachovia building on tidewater drive and put the wachovia offices into a new forty story building. That curved building takes up large footstep that could be redeveloped and utilized a lot more. It could probably fit two trader towers on it.

what curved building on Tidewater Dr? Are you referring to the 8 story World Trade building on Waterside Drive? :huh:

the building that is right next to 150 west main. Yeah, i think it is the world trade building. I thought it was offices for wachovia but i guess not.

Yeah Wachovia uses some space in the World Trade Center, as far as tearing it down for better use of the land, yea that true but 150 W. Main was designed to complement it so, it would make 150 W. Main look out of place if someone tore it down and built a tower that doesn't help 150 fit in

Archived