Olympia Stadium

Nitro

Hi all,

I'm new to this board I usually hang around the Grand Rapids board but I lived in Detroit for four years and there are a lot of things I miss about Detroit. I'm a bit of a history nut and love all the old buildings. MCD, National Theater, and many many more.

Ok, a silly question but maybe someone on this board can help me out. Does anyone know where I might be able to find copies of the architectural drawings for the Olympia Stadium?

I'm tracking down a couple of leads right now but haven't come up with anything yet.

Anyone have any ideas?

Nitro

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ok, a silly question but maybe someone on this board can help me out.  Does anyone know where I might be able to find copies of the architectural drawings for the Olympia Stadium? 

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I know for a FACT the library of congress has them on their website. I have a big 48" by 36" print on the walls of my basement.

I'll see what i can find after a cursory search.

So sad this was torn down. My parents have an old sports themed basement so we have a large framed print of the Olympia as well.

Not to get off track but,

Has anybody ever been to Yost Ice Arena in Ann Arbor? It's very similar to the Olympia architecturally. I think it's the only arena of that type of architecture still standing in Michigan. And I guarantee you, the University plans to hold onto it for years to come with it's recent renovation.

Welcome to the forum Haydenth!  :)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hey, thanks. Also may I add, the MSU Auditorium, while having a beautiful fascade is functionally probably one of the worst designed buildings I have ever been inside. Getting to the main stage is a peice of cake, right inside the front doors, but there are a series of smaller auditoriums and stages throughout the building that are really difficult to get to! For example, to get from one side of the building to the other, requires going down into the basement, walking through a bunch of rather confusing hallways (and double doors) then finding a staircase to go back up.

The building has it's character, but it's really a pain in the ass to navigate through. There are smaller stages in the basement, and I had a friend doing a play but I was late because I couldn't find the room!

If you want to look at great fascade and masonry at MSU, check out Abbot Hall, the MSU Union, or any of those older buildings on West Circle. The quality of the masonry in the 1920s-1940s work is simply amazing.

Archived