Triad neighbors with a skyline chance?

cosmoboy

Which town in the Triad do you think has a chance of getting a skyline?  

7 members have voted

1. 1. Which town in the Triad do you think has a chance of getting a skyline?

• Kernersville (K-Vegas)YadkinvilleThomasvilleMount AiryLexingtonBurlingtonAsheboroSummerfieldHigh PointPTI (another perhaps, possibly like the perimeter in ATL)GrahamClemmonsLewisvilleJust Winston and Greensboro will dominate

I know this was copied off of someone else from the Charlotte forum, so if you're reading my apoligies.:D Anyway, which community in the triad do you think has a chance for getting a mini or maybe even possibly a moderate sized skyline. My vote's on Burlington (in the outskirts near the retail development).

Vote and Post Em!

:)

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i voted for Kernersville (K-Vegas)YadkinvilleThomasvilleMount AiryLexingtonBurlingtonAsheboroSummerfieldHigh PointPTI (another perhaps, possibly like the perimeter in ATL)GrahamClemmonsLewisvilleJust Winston and Greensboro will dominate :lol:

i voted for Kernersville (K-Vegas)YadkinvilleThomasvilleMount AiryLexingtonBurlingtonAsheboroSummerfieldHigh PointPTI (another perhaps, possibly like the perimeter in ATL)GrahamClemmonsLewisvilleJust Winston and Greensboro will dominate  :lol:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

:rofl:

i voted for Kernersville (K-Vegas)YadkinvilleThomasvilleMount AiryLexingtonBurlingtonAsheboroSummerfieldHigh PointPTI (another perhaps, possibly like the perimeter in ATL)GrahamClemmonsLewisvilleJust Winston and Greensboro will dominate  :lol:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Ha Ha Ha! Very funny guys. :P

and the first step to a better skyline in raleigh is not building a 42 story building at crabtree

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You are absolutley right! Heck who even travels I-440 at day or night. At a sporting event the hotel would probably be only half occupied.

• 6 months later...

I'll go with Kernersville. It sits at the perfect location near 40 and between the big 3. But I think alot of K-villes skyline will pop up in office parks along the freeways. But ya never kno. Also being a little home bias, Lexington has sort of a "mini skyline". Downtown has the a couple midrises; LSB, Lexcom, Health Dept, Goverment Center. These all range from about 3-6 stories. But it does make uptown look a little bit more urban. Burlington has a nice lil one too.

I think Burlington will... probably somewhere downtown. Right now, there are plans to build a new LabCorp headquarters building downtown. Not a high rise (maybe 5 or 6 stories) tall. However, given the current and expected population boom in the city and in nearby areas over the next 10 years (~20K lots approved), more major companies may consider the Alamance County region for relocation... possibly resulting in a high rise better than 17 stories.

http://72.14.207.104/search?q=cache:wPNu0P...us&ct=clnk&cd=1

looks like Lexington and Burlington have the best chances for a skyline. Its hard to imagine Kernersville getting a skyline because the residents there like the small town appeal and the mayor there says he wants to keep it that way. Much of Kernersville's commercial growth will likely be office park style buildings (3 to 4 stories) located near the I-40 bypass. Suburbs around Greensboro such as Oakridge, Stokesdale, Summerfield and Pleasant Garden will never have skylines, just alot of residential development and retail developements. They will look like typical suburbs.

looks like Lexington and Burlington have the best chances for a skyline. Its hard to imagine Kernersville getting a skyline because the residents there like the small town appeal and the mayor there says he wants to keep it that way. Much of Kernersville's commercial growth will likely be office park style buildings (3 to 4 stories) located near the I-40 bypass. Suburbs around Greensboro such as Oakridge, Stokesdale, Summerfield and Pleasant Garden will never have skylines, just alot of residential development and retail developements. They will look like typical suburbs.

I agree.

I had no idea that Lexington had a nice, small downtown core until I saw that pic.

Burlington has a nice small downtown in a grid pattern, and the town is growing at a good rate.

My dad lives in Burlington, and he said that FOX 8 NEWS had a several minute segment on how Burlington is growing and how people from both the Triad and Triangle are moving there. The appeal to Burlington is the fact that is connects the Triad and Triangle.

Mebane and Graham are also growing, so Alamance County is on a roll!

I think Burlington will... probably somewhere downtown. Right now, there are plans to build a new LabCorp headquarters building downtown. Not a high rise (maybe 5 or 6 stories) tall. However, given the current and expected population boom in the city and in nearby areas over the next 10 years (~20K lots approved), more major companies may consider the Alamance County region for relocation... possibly resulting in a high rise better than 17 stories.

http://72.14.207.104/search?q=cache:wPNu0P...us&ct=clnk&cd=1

Yep!

Burlington is the fastest growing area in the Triad so we should see major change there. alot of people think that Burlington is between the Triad and Triangle but in fact its part of the Triad. Burlington associates itself with Greensboro. Greensboro and Burlington already have annexation agreements in place. However Mebane, just east of Burlington is between the two regions as the town sits on the Alamance/Orange County line, the dividing line between the Triad and Triangle

Burlington is the fastest growing area in the Triad so we should see major change there. alot of people think that Burlington is between the Triad and Triangle but in fact its part of the Triad. Burlington associates itself with Greensboro. Greensboro and Burlington already have annexation agreements in place. However Mebane, just east of Burlington is between the two regions as the town sits on the Alamance/Orange County line, the dividing line between the Triad and Triangle

Yeah, Burlington is technically part of the Triad, but Alamance County is really a 'bridge county'. I have seen in both the Triad and Triangle tv news and newspapers claiming Alamance County as their own. I personally think that Alamance County is more connected with The Triad thru Burlington and Elon although Mebane and Graham are more connected to the Triangle.

for a while Burlington and Alamance County was out on their own. They requested to have their own metro and was taken out of the Triad. Shortly after they did that, they wanted back in the Triad and so they were put back. In many ways, Burlington is like a small Greensboro but without all the entertainment options and vibrant downtown. Both have similar histories (the railroad and textiles). What if 30 years from now Burlington ended up being sort of like a twin city to Greensboro? I wonder what Burlington's population will be 30 years from now given that is the fastest growing area in the Triad. Burlington is also suppose to be included with the Triad's regional commuter rail. But Burlington will be an extension from the first leg which will be between Hanes Mall in W-S and NC A&T in Greensboro.

for a while Burlington and Alamance County was out on their own. They requested to have their own metro and was taken out of the Triad. Shortly after they did that, they wanted back in the Triad and so they were put back. In many ways, Burlington is like a small Greensboro but without all the entertainment options and vibrant downtown. Both have similar histories (the railroad and textiles). What if 30 years from now Burlington ended up being sort of like a twin city to Greensboro? I wonder what Burlington's population will be 30 years from now given that is the fastest growing area in the Triad. Burlington is also suppose to be included with the Triad's regional commuter rail. But Burlington will be an extension from the first leg which will be between Hanes Mall in W-S and NC A&T in Greensboro.

It is extremely unlikely that Burlington will have commuter rail in the next 20 years. PART is very far from being able to fund/support the first leg. Also, the experience TTA is having in Raleigh suggests that the FTA doesn't like the Regional Rail concept.

Why is it so expensive? It seems to me that they would only need money for the train cars (likely diesel) and to build a few train stations in between Greensboro and Winston-Salem (PTI Airport and Kernersville). Greensboro's downtown depot is 100% ready. From what I understand the regional rail proposal will use existing track. So why is it so expensive?

here is a map showing rail corridors and hub stations. Also since there is a rail station proposed for Piedmnt Triad Intl in Greensboro, shouldn't there be one for Smith Reynolds Airport? The airport is important enough to deserve a rail station in my opinion. That way people coming into the area through Smith Reynolds could take a train to downtown Winston-Salem from there.

Eventually there will be a number of rail lines but the main one will eventually connect Clemmons with Burlington. That line would be a little over 70 miles.

Corridors.jpg

Greensboro's downtown depot

gro2.jpg

gro4.jpg

gro3.jpg

gro5.jpg

gro1.jpg

GalyonDepot_Interior.jpg

GalyonDepotInterior.jpg

GalyonDepot_Bus.jpg

busstation4.jpg

busstation5.jpg

busstation9.jpg

busstation2.jpg

busstation8.jpg

busstation7.jpg

busstation1.jpg

You can see Southside in the distance (the old railyard between Southside and the station will be converted to a park with a mini lake.

busstation10.jpg

Now a new station needs to be built at the airports and Kernersville and Winston needs to reveive Union Station then Regional Rail between W-S and Burlington will happen.

Archived