Which Triad town/area has a chance for a skyline?

cosmoboy

Which town or area in the Triad has a chance for getting a skyline?  

34 members have voted

1. 1. Which town or area in the Triad has a chance for getting a skyline?

• Kernersville
    • Burlington
    • Lewisville
    • Clemmons
    • Lexington
    • Thomasville
    • High Point
    • Graham
    • Mount Airy
    • PTI (possibly another perimeter like in ATL)
    • Just Winston and Greensboro will dominate

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I really think PTI, but I voted Burlington b/c I live here. Our downtown is strange...almost all of the buildings are LabCorp...do you think this would hurt of help our chances of getting something higer than 10? I know that LabCorb has plans to expand in downtown...but to what extent and when i have no idea. I know that the have a 3 phase plan developed...it includes a parking deck, facade improvements, sinage and some green/park space.

133732.jpg

Main LabCorp building

339452.jpg

Alamance Hotel

As far as i know this is empty...I would LOVE to have this fixed up as apartments...having that many people downtown would really help...maybe if gas prices go up and people starting using the trian more...its like 3 blocks from the train station.

324829.jpg

not a bad grid...small though

Ok, I know I copied this idea from a guy in the Charlotte forum so if your reading this my apoligies! :D 

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

No prob; I'm sure we all inspire each other here in one way or another. :thumbsup:

That said, from an outsider's perspective, I would say High Point is next in line. Granted, that's based solely on population and I know that more is required for the development of a skyline, but that's really all I have to go off.

I really think PTI, but I voted Burlington b/c I live here.  Our downtown is strange...almost all of the buildings are LabCorp...do you think this would hurt of help our chances of getting something higer than 10?  I know that LabCorb has plans to expand in downtown...but to what extent and when i have no idea.  I know that the have a 3 phase plan developed...it includes a parking deck, facade improvements, sinage and some green/park space.

133732.jpg

Main LabCorp building

339452.jpg

Alamance Hotel

As far as i know this is empty...I would LOVE to have this fixed up as apartments...having that many people downtown would really help...maybe if gas prices go up and people starting using the trian more...its like 3 blocks from the train station.

324829.jpg

not a bad grid...small though

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

downtown burlington would be completely dead if it wasn't for labcorp. they have single-handedly saved downtown burlington. as for a future skyline, it won't be happening in downtown burlington. it will happen around south church street near the new interstate exit.

Can i ask a question someone told me the triad was the same as the triangle is this true.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

yeah the 2 areas are basically the same in terms of population and in other ways. Like compare in population, compare chapel hill to high point, durham to winston-salem, and raleigh to greensboro. They all have great schools (one of them i'm in). But, the Triangle seems to have more of an urban feel to it, especially near RTP. For some reson the triangle seems to get better reviews on being a great place to live and work but the triad seems to get nothing. But, as an answer to your guestion they are "basically" the same. If anyone has any more info to add to this, go ahead, i'm open for suggestions. :lol: Hey, maybe we should start a forum about this? :blink:

I say PTI. I think the PTI area will be Greensboro's version of South Park in Charlotte. There will likely be a mini skyline near the airport. The proposed 14-story Triad Tower will begin that process. Dont forget the 7-story Embassy Suites Hotel is next door to the proposed site. Technically it will be a skyline. It takes two buildings to make a skyline. But I think we will see other office towers built nearby Triad Tower but they would likely be around 10-stories tall.

Cosmoboy, you have your head WAY to into your textbooks!!

I don't think you can lump the Triad/Triangle into the same category at all..

Both have been rated as good places to live by various organizations..

Both have excellent educational opportunities, however the institutions in the Triangle are larger and more well-known.

The metro population in both areas are similar.

The job market in both areas vary, the triad being based more in manufacturing/service while the triangle is based more on research/high-tech/government.

Being the capital area, there is a wider array of cultural institutions in Raliegh even though the triad area does quite well for an area it's size.

By having more college age residents, the triangle will boast more areas that feel more "eclectic" or "urban" as they cater to this age group.

Both areas do deal with problematic urban sprawl Triad-Kernersville/Oak Ridge/Clemmons, Triangle-Cary/Apex/Knightdale for example.

At least, thanks to the recent widening of 40 thru Greensboro, our traffic jams are no longer as nightmarish as the triangles!

Calling any two urban areas "alike" just means one hasn't experienced enough of what the area has to offer.. Every area is unique. Saying my town is "basically the same" as another town 2hrs away is a blow to my civic pride. :angry:

What the two areas will never share:

Old Salem, NC State Campus, Franklin Street, Guilford Courthouse, Governor's Mansion, Korner's Folly, State Capital, State Museums, Dixie Classic Fair, State Fair, Reynolda House, Duke University, Furniture Market, and the list could go on...

Oh, and no one could share the UNC-Chapel Hill Campus.

I say PTI. I think the PTI area will be Greensboro's version of South Park in Charlotte. There will likely be a mini skyline near the airport. The proposed 14-story Triad Tower will begin that process. Dont forget the 7-story Embassy Suites Hotel is next door to the proposed site. Technically it will be a skyline. It takes two buildings to make a skyline. But I think we will see other office towers built nearby Triad Tower but they would likely be around 10-stories tall.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

that's a good point. plus there are already several office parks near the airport. some parts near bryan blvd. are starting to have a slight southpark feel to them.

Cosmoboy, you have your head WAY to into your textbooks!!

I don't think you can lump the Triad/Triangle into the same category at all..

Both have been rated as good places to live by various organizations..

Both have excellent educational opportunities, however the institutions in the Triangle are larger and more well-known.

The metro population in both areas are similar.

The job market in both areas vary, the triad being based more in manufacturing/service while the triangle is based more on research/high-tech/government.

Being the capital area, there is a wider array of cultural institutions in Raliegh even though the triad area does quite well for an area it's size.

By having more college age residents, the triangle will boast more areas that feel more "eclectic" or "urban" as they cater to this age group.

Both areas do deal with problematic urban sprawl  Triad-Kernersville/Oak Ridge/Clemmons, Triangle-Cary/Apex/Knightdale for example.

At least, thanks to the recent widening of 40 thru Greensboro, our traffic jams are no longer as nightmarish as the triangles!

Calling any two urban areas "alike" just means one hasn't experienced enough of what the area has to offer..  Every area is unique.  Saying my town is "basically the same" as another town 2hrs away is a blow to my civic pride. :angry:

What the two areas will never share:

Old Salem, NC State Campus, Franklin Street, Guilford Courthouse, Governor's Mansion, Korner's Folly, State Capital, State Museums, Dixie Classic Fair, State Fair, Reynolda House, Duke University, Furniture Market, and the list could go on...

Oh, and no one could share the UNC-Chapel Hill Campus.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

i didn't mean to offend, it's just that i said they were "basically" the same. I really didn't get indepth with the whole economic and tourist situations. But you brought up some good points the same.

• 4 weeks later...

definitely not kernersville. they had a chance to get a 5-story downtown condo building but town council turned it down. It would have been one of the city's tallest.

i can see a skyline at PTI/hwy 68, High Point Rd./I-40, and N. Stratford/5 points in W-S. That area already has a decent building collection...with a couple of high-rises, it would make a nice "midtown".

Archived