Cayce | Knox Abbott Drive

emerging.me

Just read this in The State...

Looks like the Cayce City Council is dead set against putting the new Brookland Cayce High School stadium on Knox Abbott Drive. Frankly, anything would be better than what's there now, but they feel it's not the best use of the property on the long term -- which may or may not be true. I think that area has a ton of potential, but it's also in need of some vision and has a long way to go.

Instead of a new stadium, the council is pledging $1 million to go towards a community and arts center that would be built in that location. I'd love to know more about what their plans are for this and what ideas they have for the immediate area.

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No. I'm not sure that ever got off the ground. The only place I have seen it mentioned was on skyscrapers.com.

They cleared the lot about 3 years ago- which consited of removing a derelict parking lot and a couple of trees. I thought something would happen at that point, but the lot has been vacant ever since.

It was a beautiful design -- they had a billboard up for a short time on Blossom -- but I'm actually kinda glad the project tanked. I just don't like the idea of highrises in the West Columbia/Cayce area. I think Bridgepointe is horrible! If highrise residential is gonna be built near downtown along the river, I'd like to see them go up in the River Drive/Greystone/126 area.

Why? I think Cayce and West Cola would be great places for high rise residential. Great location and a great view :)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Spent the day knocking around the West side. I've reconsidered my view on this. I think Knox Abbott is a great location for high-rise residential. However... I'm still against the idea over on US1/Meeting St. in West Columbia. I just think the skyline view is so freakin' awesome from that straight-on vantage point that it shouldn't be abstructed by any high-rise buildings at all.

• 1 year later...

Figured this could go here...

I noticed there's a construction fence up around that old googie-style motel at the corner of State & Knox Abbott. I don't know if that means they're about to start to demo the thing, or if they're just trying to keep drifters out.

Figured this could go here...

I noticed there's a construction fence up around that old googie-style motel at the corner of State & Knox Abbott. I don't know if that means they're about to start to demo the thing, or if they're just trying to keep drifters out.

Archived