Upstate Winn-Dixie Closings

GSP Tiger

One thing to remember about Ingles. They aren't a "grocery store" chain. Ingles is a real estate holding company, not a grocer. On paper, they have a much higher value for their RE holdings, and not their performance as a grocer.

Ingle's is not the only chain store around with a real estate unit; Bi-Lo and Publix also have theirs. Real estate is second to their main focus, being supermarkets.

Rather, they buy land, build a store, and lease the remaining parcels.

This I'm highly aware of. They are selling off shopping centers where they closed stores. Cash revenue goes towards improving current locations and new locations.

I would love to see Publix have a larger presence here, and Kroger would be a good addition. I wouldn't mind seeing Harris Teeter or Food Lion make a comeback as well.

Kroger (and the Welcome store) and Harris Teeter were briefly here. Retracting from the area probably because of Bi-Lo, I doubt they want to take another chance of bust in the area. Food Lion I'm sure studied the upstate.

Bi-Lo, Ingle's, and Publix will continue to dominate the upstate supermarket area. Bi-Lo and Publix are both building new locations in downtown Greenville.

Ingle's plans to open five new stores within next year. I'm not aware if this includes both replacement, additional, and improved stores. The Clemson store has a replacement store being built next door.

Three new supermarkets are planned across the upstate: Village at Pelham, US 221 in Spartanburg's southside, and SC 101 @ SC 296.

Personally, I would like to see a few more upscale supermarkets in the region like The Fresh Market and Super Bi-Lo.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Bi-Lo also owned land in Moonville (US 25 @ Old Grove Rd) and Simpsonville (SC 417 @ SC 14 behind Eckerd). These were possible sites for a future supermarket.

The Moonville location is to be the closest to being built. Progress in plans were temporarily halted when the new Matrix road was built. To my knowledge, plans have rusumed and Bi-Lo's Moonville location will be going up early next year with a late-2006 opening.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for all the info/updates on Upstate WD's. I knew that Harris Teeter left the market... how many stores did they have when they were in the upstate and where were they located? I wasn't aware about Food Lion, i still thought Gville/Sburg still had a few FL's

Harris-Teeter stores were at 291 and Augusta Road (oddly enough, in a former Bi-Lo), Roper Mountain Road at I-385 (now a Bi-Lo) and elsewhere. Too bad they left the market; I thought they were a lot nicer than Bi-Lo was at the time.

The McAlister Square Publix was built in the late 1990s; the Winn-Dixie had been where the movie theater now is (assuming it's re-opened).

Archived