TOP 20 !

A2

I'm really surprised to see that Indianapolis is number 12. I was there recently and I thought it seemed much smaller than Charlotte. It also seemed pretty dead in many places.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Interesting you should say that. From what I've seen of Indy, it seems to be very similar to Charlotte, so I actually started a "Charlotte vs. Indy" thread on another message board. One poster said, "These cities are very similar I think. Speaking in terms of skyline I think Charlotte has the edge with its beautiful new buildings, while both of them are densifying with new offices and condo proposals. That said I think Indianapolis is a little ahead with its largely alive downtown core with shopping and entertainment, and their freeway beltway is completed."

Don't want to start any flame wars, just wanted to point that little tidbit out.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah, I forgot that Louisville annexed land along with plenty of people.

From charmeck.org: Annexation has enabled Charlotte's land area to double since 1980, to 280 square miles as of June 30, 2005.

I brought in Minneapolis to show that ranking central cities by their population is pretty much worthless.  I could have brought up any other city that has run out of room to grow as well, but I think you get the point.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I will concede to your numbers on Charlotte. I qouted 1990 numbers. My bad. :blush: Even so at roughly 268 square miles it is still growth in the digits. Numbers can be tweaked. It is all about what you are trying to show. I will assume that the true growth lines up to be very close to atlrvr's #'s. I think this is a fair assesment. But for the record, I never try to start anything with other cities. I simply started a post to state that Charlotte as a city broke into the Top 20 oif city pop for the first time. Is it really that important to squabble over this???? ;)

http://www.charlottechamber.com/content.cf...&content_id=187

268 according to US census and Charlotte Chamber 2005.

Northstar, I think anyone - who has an understanding of population stats - can understand that these municipal populations are irrelevant when comparing cities to cities. But I think you have to give some credit to these cities - despite how they were able to annex the property. In fact - even MSA & CSA population figures are somewhat fraudelant b/c they favor commuting patterns over urban development & can be skewed by the size of the county.

But to put it another way, just because some small college - say for arguement's sake - Boise State wins all 12 games in a season, that isn't to say they are better than a major conference team that lost 4 or 5 games. It's just something really cool that's fun to celebrate :)

And most likely we'll just have to get used to it - Charlotte will likely be another Dallas or Houston eventually that will have a massive population. Not sure they will ever hit 1 million, but it is more likely than Minneapolis or Atlanta - despite these city's growth in the inner core.

Interesting you should say that. From what I've seen of Indy, it seems to be very similar to Charlotte, so I actually started a "Charlotte vs. Indy" thread on another message board. One poster said, "These cities are very similar I think. Speaking in terms of skyline I think Charlotte has the edge with its beautiful new buildings, while both of them are densifying with new offices and condo proposals. That said I think Indianapolis is a little ahead with its largely alive downtown core with shopping and entertainment, and their freeway beltway is completed."

Don't want to start any flame wars, just wanted to point that little tidbit out.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well I found myself comparing the two, as I do with any new place I visit. I think Indy's downtown is way better than ours, for my needs/wants anyway. Instead of having mostly businesses, upscale restaurants, and nightclubs, they have quirky shops, casual bars, and a place where people of all ages walk around and want to hang out. I hope Charlotte's downtown is evolving to a place like that. I thought the rest of what I saw of Indy was kind of a dump. It was depressing. Granted, I by no means explored the whole city.

Let me find that thread...

Here's what I get from the US Census Bureau for 2004...Charlotte's still #20. (Should Indy be included?)

1 New York city New York 8,104,079

2 Los Angeles city California 3,845,541

3 Chicago city Illinois 2,862,244

4 Houston city Texas 2,012,626

5 Philadelphia city Pennsylvania 1,470,151

6 Phoenix city Arizona 1,418,041

7 San Diego city California 1,263,756

8 San Antonio city Texas 1,236,249

9 Dallas city Texas 1,210,393

10 San Jose city California 904,522

11 Detroit city Michigan 900,198

12 Indianapolis county Indiana 784,242

13 Jacksonville city Florida 777,704

14 San Francisco city California 744,230

15 Columbus city Ohio 730,008

16 Austin city Texas 681,804

17 Memphis city Tennessee 671,929

18 Baltimore city Maryland 636,251

19 Fort Worth city Texas 603,337

20 Charlotte city North Carolina 594,359

Like Indy, Louisville skews the numbers in the Emporis rankings.

Interesting. ;) Indy should definately be included. I agree with the Louisville number, but it is skewed because they annexexed an ENTIRE county (Jefferson). Before they did the annexation their pop was well under 275K !

A2

I just went on emporis, and charlotte isn't in the top 20 anymore. I wonder what happened??? :(

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Ft Worth is what happened. :P

I do not believe we will be off the list for a long time though. After we post 2005 numbers we will leap frog a couple of cities. Right now, we are closer to 630-640K in the city for total population.

A2

Ft Worth is what happened.  :P

I do not believe we will be off the list for a long time though. After we post 2005 numbers we will leap frog a couple of cities. Right now, we are closer to 630-640K in the city for total population.

A2

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

How True, How True :thumbsup:

How True, How True :thumbsup:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

sk, I have posted this link a number of times on other threads, but I thought you might find it helpful. It is the Charlottechambers site pointing to the pop estimates and actual numbers for CLT from the US census. If you notice we are actually well passed the 594K number that Emporis even has listed. The 04' number has us pegged at

http://www.charlottechamber.com/content.cf...&content_id=186

Hope this is helpful.

A2

sk, I have posted this link a number of times on other threads, but I thought you might find it helpful. It is the Charlottechambers site pointing to the pop estimates and actual numbers for CLT from the US census. If you notice we are actually well passed the 594K number that Emporis even has listed. The 04' number has us pegged at 

http://www.charlottechamber.com/content.cf...&content_id=186

Hope this is helpful.

A2

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I still don't understand the whole Metro region, and MSA thing. Which one is the true Metro area.

Archived