Should Detroit make a bid for the 2016 olympics?

snoogit

With London getting the nod in 2012, and New York not willing to make another bid for 2016, I think Detroit should seriously consider making a bid for 2016.

I know theres been talk of Detroit bidding to host previously, but I think 2016 might be Detroit's best chance at securing the bid for 2016. It could be a cornerstone of revitalization in the city (even if it is a decade away) The current American city leader for the games is Minneanapolis! Thats just not right.

I say we make a case for Detroit in 2016!

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

With London getting the nod in 2012, and New York not willing to make another bid for 2016, I think Detroit should seriously consider making a bid for 2016.

I know theres been talk of Detroit bidding to host previously, but I think 2016 might be Detroit's best chance at securing the bid for 2016. It could be a cornerstone of revitalization in the city (even if it is a decade away) The current American city leader for the games is Minneanapolis! Thats just not right.

I say we make a case for Detroit in 2016!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

If people are impressed with the way the all star game and superbowl go, I think we at least have a chance.

Between 1992 and 2012, Europe has hosted or will host the games six times, North America has hosted or will host the game three times, Asia has hosted or will host the game two times, and Australia hosted it the other time.

1992 - Europe (France)

1992 - Europe (Spain)

1994 - Europe (Norway)

1996 - North America (US)

1998 - Asia (Japan)

2000 - Pacific - (Australia)

2002 - North America (US)

2004 - Europe (Greece)

2006 - Europe (Italy)

2008 - Asia (Beijing)

2010 - North America (Canada)

2012 - Europe (London)

2014 - ?

If they give the 2014 Winter Games to Asia, then North America has a good shot of hosting the 2016 Olympic games.

I think Detroit has a good shot for 2016 or 2020. Remember, this is over 11 years from now. A lot can happen in eleven years, especially if you're preparing for something of this nature. We could very well have an effective mass transit system underway by then. We could have a city that's running in the black by then. We could have a region that's more willing to work together by then. In any case, I think Detroit's chances of hosting an Olympic Games in 11 years are just as good as just about any other American city.

I'm sorry to say, but I can't think of a worse city to host than Detroit.  Awful place! (note: I said the place, not the people)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I would love it if you could back this up with some kind of experience you had in Detroit that made you swear you'd never return... Or was it something awful you heard from someone else who might or might not have been here themselves?

WS

How'd you get over here?  Have you ever been Detroit?  Hell, have you ever been to Atlanta, for that matter.  lol

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Actually I make almost monthly pilgrimages to Detroit for various purposes.

Oh and Australia has hosted two Olympic games (Melboure in '68 and Sydney in 2000) I'd say unless Kenya or Brazil decide to bid, Detroit could make a big move for such an even. And your right, 11 years is a long time to prepare.

^ I think Lmich was talking to our new friend Ryan.

I agree that 11 years is enough time to prepare, but I don't think the Olympic Committee wants to gamble on what Detroit would be like in 2016. Besides, imagine the "deadline" demolitions that could happen with the Olympics coming.

^ I think Lmich was talking to our new friend Ryan.

I agree that 11 years is enough time to prepare, but I don't think the Olympic Committee wants to gamble on what Detroit would be like in 2016. Besides, imagine the "deadline" demolitions that could happen with the Olympics coming.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The actual vote woudn't take place until after the Superbowl, and Allstar-game, so it could be a nice springboard. Although I think the IOC would frown on scheduled demolitions. If anything, Detroit could use this opportunity to refurbish some of their ailing buildings for use in situations like the olympic village and such.

I'm sorry to say, but I can't think of a worse city to host than Detroit.  Awful place! (note: I said the place, not the people)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Nonsense! Where else (other than Alaska) can one drive SOUTH to enter Canada?

Detroit would be a reasonable host city; however, I think Toronto would be more likely to land the 2016 Games.

Nonsense!  Where else (other than Alaska) can one drive SOUTH to enter Canada? 

Detroit would be a reasonable host city; however, I think Toronto would be more likely to land the 2016 Games.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Vancouvers hosting the event in 2010, i dont think toronto would get it in 2016

Even in 11 years Detroit wont be able to put together a bid that could compete with the likes of a London, Paris, Madrid, NYC, or Toronto. I personally think that it will be more than 20 years before Detroit would be ablt to seriously make a run at the Olympics. Although run down and a little beat up Detroit is still one of the most important and powerful cities in the world and should have an opportunity to host the games. Its not gonna happen but 2016 would be a helluva spring board for the city. Im sure you could attract some developers once an organization like the Olympics makes a commitment to your city.

The olympics could be a springboard for redeveloping large areas of Detroit without destroying it. I hate to say it, but being so down on the city wont help anything, The 2016 olympics are going to be here in America, theres no doubt, with NYC not getting 2012, an American City has the best shot of gettin gthe olympics.

We can't let Minneapolis win!

Why cant we let Minneapolis win? Thats a city that has its act together. I hope that someday soon Detroit will be on the same level as Minny or some of these other Midwest cities. If its in the Midwest im for it. I have city pride but I also have regional pride.

Why cant we let Minneapolis win?  Thats a city that has its act together.  I hope that someday soon Detroit will be on the same level as Minny or some of these other Midwest cities.  If its in the Midwest im for it.  I have city pride but I also have regional pride.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Its called a rivalry, Plus everyone I talk to from Minneapolis irks me the wrong way :P And if I had it my way, Kenya or Brazil would host the olympics in 2016. but I figure Detroit has a better shot at it.

In any case, I think all Detroit needs is a kick in the pants, and a new philosophy on how to handle its abandonment problem. If a 2016 Bid for the olympics gets them started on Reconstructing old buildings, and constructing a better rail transport system, then its worth it.

Archived