Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

redjeep77

Charlotte Medical School

I have heard talks of building a medical school in Charlotte (at UNCC). It seems ridiculous that the area doesn't have one yet there are 4 in the state.

Existing Medical Schools

-UNC (public)

-ECU (pubilic)

-WFU (private)

-DUKE (private)

- The latest medical school to be added was ECU's. At the time Charlotte was competing for the medical school (in fact, they built the university medical center in hopes to land a medical school), but lost out to ECU. The states reasoning was that the eastern part of the state was in desperate need of a medical center due to poor demographics. However, it seems that most of the medical schools are already located in the eastern part of the state. The western part of the state's needs are just as much as the eastern's. With the rising state population, another medical center will be needed shortly. These things aren't like law schools.....they are massively expensive. What do ya'll think?

charlotte doesn't have trouble getting doctors to practice here, that is why greenville probably needed the med school more.

It would help UNCC gain in stature if they were to get a med school, though...

if the western part of the state needs it, then it should go to unc-asheville or some other school in the western part of the state.

Yeah....but they don't have the available facilities.....UNCC already has the medical center in place. This would be much more cost effective

Charlotte had a medical school once.

This building in 4th Ward was built as the North Carolina Medical College where one could receive the education to become a Doctor.

medicalcollege1.jpg

More info here.

The funny thing is, I was playing around on the internet a few hours before this thread came up and stumbled on that building and it's history and thought it was interesting. Now this thread gets posted, kind of freaky!

The funny thing is, I was playing around on the internet a few hours before this thread came up and stumbled on that building and it's history and thought it was interesting.

wow...i know that building....looks pretty darn good today too

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I heard that's the joint where Julius Peppers bought a unit