Rivergate

So i'm sure most of you know about the shopping center with the SuperTarget and Home Depot that's coming to southwest mecklenburg county at Steele Creek Road and York Road. There's a big article about it today http://www.charlotte.com/mld/charlotte/business/12062726.htm

Think of it as a mix of the Arboretum, the Promenade on Providence and uh .. any shopping center with a supercenter lol. And now that SuperTarget is coming, that ups the grocers in the area - a Harris Teeter and Bi-Lo are across the street, a Harris Teeter is under construction down towards the lake, a soon-to-be-vacant-if-not-saved Winn Dixie up the road, plus Wal Mart Supercenter, another Bi-Lo and Food Lion not too far away.

Target and Home Depot... hey that's coming to Midtown too!

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So i'm sure most of you know about the shopping center with the SuperTarget and Home Depot that's coming to southwest mecklenburg county at Steele Creek Road and York Road.  There's a big article about it today http://www.charlotte.com/mld/charlotte/business/12062726.htm

Think of it as a mix of the Arboretum, the Promenade on Providence and uh .. any shopping center with a supercenter lol.  And now that SuperTarget is coming, that ups the grocers in the area - a Harris Teeter and Bi-Lo are across the street, a Harris Teeter is under construction down towards the lake, a soon-to-be-vacant-if-not-saved Winn Dixie up the road, plus Wal Mart Supercenter, another Bi-Lo and Food Lion not too far away.

Target and Home Depot... hey that's coming to Midtown too!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Let's hope that the parking lot at "Rivergate" (maybe it should have been named "Stormwater-run-off-destined-to-poison-the-<Catawba>river Gate") is better designed than the Arboretum. If there is justice in the afterlife, the people responsible for the Arboretum's traffic flow patterns will be forced to drive it for eternity (with the traffic of a Saturday in December)

Let's hope that the parking lot at "Rivergate" (maybe it should have been named "Stormwater-run-off-destined-to-poison-the-<Catawba>river Gate") is better designed than the Arboretum.  If there is justice in the afterlife, the people responsible for the Arboretum's traffic flow patterns will be forced to drive it for eternity (with the traffic of a Saturday in December)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

:rofl:

Hopefully we'll get better traffic patterns with RiverGate.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Just thought I'd throw a few updates out there on this. I live nearby so I've seen this thing grow the whole way through. Right now the anchors (SuperTarget, Home Depot, Best Buy, Marshall's, Office Depot, Old Navy, and Petsmart) are open. Books-A-Million should be opening soon too. Some smaller places are starting to open, such as Superclips, Sportclips, Alltel, and rackroom shoes. Chic-Fil-A, McDonalds and Starbucks are open and I think TGIFridays, City Tavern, and Fuel Pizza are about to open. Not sure about Salsarita's...might already be open. Almost every building appears to have a tenant lined up, including GNC, Allstate insurance, Art Space Studio, Charlotte Fitness, Hallmark, and Omega Sports.

Regarding the layout, it is definitely layed out better than the Arboretum. It's layed out more like Stonecrest. I'm not necessarily thrilled with the sea of parking lots that surround a 'town center' of shopping, but it's definitely not as bad as the arboretum, for what it's worth. If only parking decks weren't so expensive, this project could've been 100 times more pedestrian friendly if only one deck could've been incorporated into the plan.

Regarding the vacant Winn-Dixie that cantnot mentioned, a new tenant is moving in right now. Achieve Fitness has moving trucks in the parking lot as we speak. This is exactly what I was hoping for.

• 2 weeks later...
Just thought I'd throw a few updates out there on this. I live nearby so I've seen this thing grow the whole way through. Right now the anchors (SuperTarget, Home Depot, Best Buy, Marshall's, Office Depot, Old Navy, and Petsmart) are open. Books-A-Million should be opening soon too. Some smaller places are starting to open, such as Superclips, Sportclips, Alltel, and rackroom shoes. Chic-Fil-A, McDonalds and Starbucks are open and I think TGIFridays, City Tavern, and Fuel Pizza are about to open. Not sure about Salsarita's...might already be open. Almost every building appears to have a tenant lined up, including GNC, Allstate insurance, Art Space Studio, Charlotte Fitness, Hallmark, and Omega Sports.

Regarding the layout, it is definitely layed out better than the Arboretum. It's layed out more like Stonecrest. I'm not necessarily thrilled with the sea of parking lots that surround a 'town center' of shopping, but it's definitely not as bad as the arboretum, for what it's worth. If only parking decks weren't so expensive, this project could've been 100 times more pedestrian friendly if only one deck could've been incorporated into the plan.

Regarding the vacant Winn-Dixie that cantnot mentioned, a new tenant is moving in right now. Achieve Fitness has moving trucks in the parking lot as we speak. This is exactly what I was hoping for.

Sounds like this area could use some entertainment. I know there is a movie theater up the road on South Tryon, but this plaza could use one too. I am not too sure, but I don't think there is a theater in the Fort Mill area, and if there was one at Rivergate it could serve the Steele Creek and Fort Mill areas. There are definitely enough subdivisions going up all the way from Route 160 at the state line, all the way to Rivergate to support this.

^Other Targets nearby? The closest one I can think of is on South Boulevard north of 485. I'm just glad RiverGate got a SuperTarget and not a Wal-Mart.

I went to Fuel the other night too. Very similar to the one in Hearst.

In terms of entertainment options in SW Charlotte, it's about average for a developing suburban area. The theaters at Ayrsley are actually pretty close, so I'm not sure there's a need for another one so close. Other entertainment options on this side of town (within modest driving distance) include Carowinds, Daniel Stowe Botanical Garden, Lake Wylie, and McDowell Nature Preserve. Considering it's still a relatively underdeveloped part of town, the entertainment options aren't bad.

It's worth mentioning that right across the street from RiverGate, in the same plaza as Harris Teeter, it appears major expansion is occurring. I haven't seen anything about this. Anyone know anything about it?

Yeah, I was just over there today. It is going to be called Steelecroft Farms and Carocon is the general contractor. They have done/are doing things like Quarterside, Court 6, Walnut Hill, etc. All they have on their website right now is this:

"The Steelcroft Farms project is located on the corner of York Rd. and Steel Creek Rd in Southwest Charlotte, NC. The project consists of 336 units in 16 buildings. The project also has a seperate Clubhouse, swimming pool, garage structures and mail kiosks."

I am guessing they are townhomes like the ones in the area...nothing too exciting. There website has some good info on their current projects.

www.carocon.com

Interesting. I was expecting expanded commercial development there. No doubt they're going to sell the convenient location as their primary marketing tool. The school is right next door. The Harris Teeter is right out front. Rivergate is right across the street. Those will sell.

However, I'm kinda sick of seeing more and more condos/townhomes going up in SW Charlotte. I think the city/county has overdone it a bit with the attached housing in this area.

Archived