New NASCAR track in Bremerton, WA?

zed

NASCAR is eager to expand into the Northwest as the closest track is currently in Sonoma, California. A plan to build a track in Marysville, WA, fizzled in late 2004. Now there are serious plans to build a track near Bremerton, WA, in Kitsap County.

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/moto...ebnascar24.html

ISC announced it had selected a 950-acre site near the Bremerton Airport for a publicly owned, 80,000-seat track. The facility would be leased to ISC for two major weekend events each year plus one weekend with a more regional focus.

It's not clear what other uses the track would be put to, Holmer said, but it would be the county's biggest venue by far.

"A variety of different things could be held there

• 4 months later...

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm certainly no expert on this stuff, but I have to wonder if Bremerton is the best they could do location-wise? From Seattle it's either a ferry ride or a trip over the ever-congested Tacoma Narrows bridge. It's really somewhat isolated from Seattle - much moreso than their previously proposed site near Marysville. It seems to me that most of NASCAR's newer tracks are much closer to the metro areas they are targeting.

Here's another timely article...

http://www.kitsapsun.com/bsun/local/articl...4288482,00.html (requires registration)

At the same time NASCAR and International Speedway Corp. tries to tap into the Northwest market, they're trying to build a nearly identical speedway on New York's Staten Island.

The simultaneous proposals have striking similarities, including visions of ferry boats and shuttle buses transporting fans from a metropolitan area to a relatively remote track site. But there is one significant difference: While ISC wants Washington state to pay for half of the $345 million construction cost in Kitsap, it is willing to pay for the entire $600 million project in New York.

and the kicker...

But if the Yankee Stadium deal set an unfavorable precedent for ISC in New York, Washington state's financial backing of Safeco Field and Qwest Field in Seattle set a favorable one.

"We shouldn't be punished as outsiders when all we ask for is for the same treatment that's previously existed in Washington," Lynch said. "In fact, we're investing more than either one of the companies invested in the two Seattle stadiums."

Clearly the thinking is: "if the state funds one stadium it should fund all of them". These stadium people are like flies on honey. In fact, there is another proposal this Spring for the state to pay for improvements to the SuperSonics' arena. I suppose I should create a thread for that too....

I'm certainly no expert on this stuff, but I have to wonder if Bremerton is the best they could do location-wise?

Availible land and the airport were the main factors for choosing that site. Because of the land situation, there were few quality sites large enough to choose from near Seattle. My personal preference would have been Grand Mound as it is near I-5, has availible land, is on sewer, & is almost halfway between Seattle & Portland.

While I am not familiar with the area so I don't know how far away this is, a NASCAR track unlike other major sports venues is something that would not be greatly appreciated in a populated area. When a race is in progress, they are very noisy for hours on end and the roar of the cars can be heard from miles away.

Are their Nascar fans in Seattle?

Enough to produce 2 of the hottest Nextel cup drivers. Greg Biffle and Kasey Kahne are from the area. There are quite a few fans in the area and this track would draw NASCAR fans from Alaska, Oregon, Idaho, Montana, British Columbia, & Alberta too.

Seattle hosts one of the largest hydroplane races in the world and is a long time host of an event on the NHRA drag series. Vancouver and Portland both host Champ Car/CART races.

Why is everyone spouting petty stereotypes? False stereotypes I might add. Take a trip outside of the Seattle area for a hint. Heck, 25 years ago we were nothing but a bunch of loggers and apple farmers when stereotyped. Now the stereotypers think we are all a bunch of coffee sipping yuppies or nerds, grunchy, or fascist lefties. The truth is we have just about everything here, except a NASCAR event.

Why is everyone spouting petty stereotypes? False stereotypes I might add.

The questions are more from astonishment there is support in Seattle because it means a place that is sophisticated as that, would enjoy what began as a Southern sport.

As Southerners we are very aware of false stereotypes, especially surrounding NASCAR. We are asking because we find it great there is appeal for the the sport outside the Southeast. It's further proof the stereotypes that are attributed to us are indeed not correct.

No offense was meant.

^ I am not offended at all, I just think it is funny that we have been stereotyped as just about everything around here.

Also NASCAR stopped being a total Southern sport about 10 years ago. Just look at the top drivers. Stewart (IN), Biffle (WA), Edwards (MO), Johnson (CA), Newman (IN), Kenseth (WI), Wallace (MO), Busch (NV), Gordon (CA), McMurray (MO), and Harvick (CA). That's 11 of the top 15 not from the south.

Archived