Tallahassee Coal vs alternatives

csmurphy8885

I personally am glade to see all the people talking out against another poluting power house in North Florida. Though, it was a drain on the commision meeting, it is good to see people still care. Living in the Sunshine state, why on earth would we not utilize solar power to at least help eliviate the stress on supply. even some kinda of incentive for those who can afford to install panels.

What about utilizing someof our Zephr's for wind power. Anything but coal or a nuclear facility. We should have the state give fsu money to research new ways to save and make energy. And what about Dams... doesnt talquin get all thier power from the dam? How clean is that, plus you get a recreational lake as well.

and moreso, i think we should oppose the coal plant all together for sake of its impact on what we all love... florida. and thoguh we all enjoy the developments in modern society, it is nature that got us here, and nature will still need to get us out.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I totally agree with you on the importance of diversifying our Energy resources. Like you, I'd rank Solar, Wind, and water generation of electricty way ahead of burning fossil fuels and coals. However, I don't believe the technology currently exists that will allow us to generate ENOUGH voltage to power our growing state.

Truth is, Florida is one of the fastest growing states in the country, and North Florida is the now hot-spot for development. Only 3% of the electricty used by the city of Tallahassee is generated by one of the only two Hydro-Electric Power Plants in Florida, located on the western edge of Leon county at Lake Talquin. Just as we can't rely on the future supply of fossil fuels to burn, we can't rely on water levels to be high enough to pass them through these turbines at Hydro Dams in this area.

Another point you made that was very important to me, is the fact that yes this is the Sunshine State and there should be more Solar Panels on Homes and atop of commercial building, if for no other reason than to heat the water, or run a few lights.

Can we depend on wind?

The Clean Coal Technology they plan for the new generation Facility being propsed for Perry, Florida isn't the same coal you and I may think of when we think of Coal in its traditional form. Not being an expert on the topic, I just though I would say that and leave the researching up to those who desire to look. My only suggestion, is that we find a way to use any and every method of energy generation possible. God gave us this Great Planet Earth filled with all of these precious resources for a reason. We should find a way to use them all as they are best suited in order to restore balance to our natual eco-systems, and dillute over concentration of fossil fuel productions.

Is there a way to use tides and currents for power? If not for tally, i know miami is a elec guzzler? I just see this state as a perfect place to try these things, all of them... and being a pensinsula in the sun, with the wind... why pollute... Remember the Game SImCIty?!?! that was a great game. and power problems were so simple.

i think those limitations are mearly due to lack of developed technologies. I am not saying i have the secret that researchers are missing, but i do believe that with a 2,500 acre solar panel, we might make a difference. It is a pipe dream, most definatly. but i believe!

If i am not mistaking, a nuclear plants polute in terms of heated water right? Though not as bad as murcury and other coal wastes, i still think we give up too easy on new technology... maybe hte G8 will mandate some massive research movement worldwide to solve the sun to power problem.

If i am not mistaking, a nuclear plants polute in terms of heated water right?  Though not as bad as murcury and other coal wastes, i still think we give up too easy on new technology... maybe hte G8 will mandate some massive research movement worldwide to solve the sun to power problem.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Any plant that generates steam to turn turbines produces waste hotwater including all coal fired plants and solar plants that boil water.

• 2 months later...

We have too much cloud cover - but I agree at least get some solar panels on all the buildings to heat the water. Nuclear is the cleanest (by far) but nothing has been planned for a plant for the last 30+ years - so we're way behind on that. I want to see the coal plant get built so our utility bills won't be so high.

The technology is better as are controls - todays coal plants are not your parent's coal plants.

We have too much cloud cover - but I agree at least get some solar panels on all the buildings to heat the water. Nuclear is the cleanest (by far) but nothing has been planned for a plant for the last 30+ years - so we're way behind on that. I want to see the coal plant get built so our utility bills won't be so high.

The technology is better as are controls - todays coal plants are not your parent's coal plants.

:w00t: Welcome to Urbanplanet Rocco! :w00t:

Great to have you buddy!

I agree. I think everyone is a bit more or less going on coal myth than facts in their opposition to the new plant. What people aren't understanding is we are powering our homes and business on resources that are depleating. I'd much rather the city pursue the solar option, or say pass an ordinance that requires every new home built to install a skylight to take advantage of the day sky and natural lighting. Business on the top floors of buildings could take advantage of this as well...

I don't know, just thinking outside of the box. There is so much that can be done that we aren't doing.

Nuke produces spent radioactive rods and we don't have truly acceptable disposal facilities for them yet. Solar is the best, but very expensive and we need to develop the technology more. Coal is in wide use (3 out of 4 generators in Crystal River) and is fairly clean, but bad rep. Think of how the development of effective use of hydrogen for transportation would take the pressure off every other fuel source. Think of the worldwide political implications. I like solar best, but hydrogen seems to have the most potential.

Nuke produces spent radioactive rods and we don't have truly acceptable disposal facilities for them yet. Solar is the best, but very expensive and we need to develop the technology more. Coal is in wide use (3 out of 4 generators in Crystal River) and is fairly clean, but bad rep. Think of how the development of effective use of hydrogen for transportation would take the pressure off every other fuel source. Think of the worldwide political implications. I like solar best, but hydrogen seems to have the most potential.

Like you my preference is solar, however, I don't see a need for us to do it all at once. Can we not start with something as simple as a skylight instead of a big light as our primary source of light in our homes and businesses??

I'll finish this thought later! Got to run!

Like you my preference is solar, however, I don't see a need for us to do it all at once. Can we not start with something as simple as a skylight instead of a big light as our primary source of light in our homes and businesses??

I'll finish this thought later! Got to run!

Sure, that would be most effective in businesses where we spend most of our daytime hours and when there is abundant light. But we are home mostly at night.

Sure, that would be most effective in businesses where we spend most of our daytime hours and when there is abundant light. But we are home mostly at night.

When you think about the savings, they are monumental. I can imagine the energy I could be saving right now with some natural light coming from above. They'd do far more for me than these pathetic flourescent lights! For some who don't get to see the sun all day, its great! You can bring your tanning lotion to work and toast away. LOL!

Seriously... there are little things we can do these days on a city-wide basis that would slash many expenses and cut down on waste such as this issue here with the sky lights, or maybe wind driven turbines. I wonder how much power we could generate at some of our local gyms? :silly:

My attitude is quickly starting to change on this issue of the Coal plant. In a way I don't like the city's stance on this issue. "Its going to be built and there's nothing we can do about it". Well, Tallahassee, there is something. As a principal City in North Florida and the Capital of the State we can set an example by showing there are other alternatives to simply burning coal. While, alternatives are a long stretch, giving consideration to some is always benificial. I like the idea of diversification, I just don't like the lack of ideas surfacing outside of the Coal alternative. Give me a reason to support this measure by showing this is a step toward more than the use of Coal.

My attitude is quickly starting to change on this issue of the Coal plant. In a way I don't like the city's stance on this issue. "Its going to be built and there's nothing we can do about it". Well, Tallahassee, there is something. As a principal City in North Florida and the Capital of the State we can set an example by showing there are other alternatives to simply burning coal. While, alternatives are a long stretch, giving consideration to some is always benificial. I like the idea of diversification, I just don't like the lack of ideas surfacing outside of the Coal alternative. Give me a reason to support this measure by showing this is a step toward more than the use of Coal.

actually no, taurean, it is going to be built anyway, whether the city votes to take part of it in the beginning, it will only help them if they do, because once its built and they get another organization who wants our block of power, we will have to pay more for the power we originally wanted.

Thanks for the welcome! (dudette) - my male yorkie's name is rocco.

I think those against the coal plant are misinformed too. And whats with tearing all the trees down to build a mostly glass building? HOw does that make sense for Florida? Our houses should not only have skylights but 3 ft or more eves to cut down on our consumption of fuel.

I don't care one way or another if we participate in coal plant - I have enough income that the hit to the pocketbook won't make much of a difference. I worry about those who can't afford it. BUT the only incentive to get folks to conserve is economic I'm afraid.

Thanks for the welcome! (dudette) - my male yorkie's name is rocco.

I think those against the coal plant are misinformed too. And whats with tearing all the trees down to build a mostly glass building? HOw does that make sense for Florida? Our houses should not only have skylights but 3 ft or more eves to cut down on our consumption of fuel.

I don't care one way or another if we participate in coal plant - I have enough income that the hit to the pocketbook won't make much of a difference. I worry about those who can't afford it. BUT the only incentive to get folks to conserve is economic I'm afraid.

WOW! You hit it on the nose. Though Im more inclined to support the new power plant, I've had my reservations as of late from a financial standpoint. Can we afford to join this effort? Well, Im sure we can. Not to sound snotty, but our City is doing very well for itself, financially, primarily due to the hard work of the people upstairs in the City Manager's Office.

This coal plant won't affect us for another 8 years, what is our response in the interim. Do we continue to rely on the volitle Natural Gas prices?

I'm starting to wonder now, who is this Rocco!? Sounds like you've got a little money in your pockets! I know a swing in prices on any level would send me to the poor house. I can barely afford to pay attention! LOL! That was bad, I know! But its great to have you Rocco! Keep on postin!

WOW! You hit it on the nose. Though Im more inclined to support the new power plant, I've had my reservations as of late from a financial reasons. I see bigger priorities and I wonder can we afford to join this effort, and push forward with our increible growth? Well, Im sure we can. Not to sound snotty, but our City is doing very well for itself, financially, primarily due to the hard work of the people upstairs in the City Manager's Office.

This coal plant won't affect us for another 8 years, what is our response in the interim. Do we continue to rely on the volitle Natural Gas prices?

I'm starting to wonder now, who is this Rocco!? Sounds like you've got a little money in your pockets! I know a swing in prices on any level would send me to the poor house. I can barely afford to pay attention! LOL! That was bad, I know! But its great to have you Rocco! Keep on postin!

The environmentalists in this town have a nack for misinforming those who might be have a different opinion than theirs. Even the Tallahassee Democrat has been performing push-polling to try and get the results they desire.

Personally I would like to see more nuclear. Did you know that France gets 78% of their power from nuclear and they have some of the lowest electric prices in Europe because of it? They also get 12% from hydro leaving only 10% for other.

I think we are headed down a dangerous course if we don't diversify our energy sources and now is the perfect time to start.

1st. I wish the alternatives were viable...but they aren't no matter how hard environmentalist argue other wise. The facts just don't back it up. If we want more green alternatives, we need more technical progress.

2nd. The best realistic alternative is nuclear, but the no nuke freaks scared away any rational debate on the subject (using movies, cute mottos, etc to kill the Nuke debate). As someone pointed out, France uses Nuclear energy very successfully.

3rd. Until we have better technology, you have to have diversification in energy...if you don't, you will die economically.

4th. It is a fact....the plant gets built in our area whether we benefit or not. The COT could of heged on this by pushing a Nuclear plant....but since it didn't...the only alternative now is to join in with this coal plant that is going to be built anyway. If we don't, Tally will suffer economically.

I am an environmentalist, but unfortunately, environmental groups often opt for scare tatics over rational debate and worse, really are pushing political idealogy instead of green. If they were smart, they would of pushed for nuclear and heavy investment in America's heavy research universities for alternatives to Nuke. Instead they went for emotion and now we are worse off. Coal plans and fossil fuels with no alternatives that are realistic.

1st. I wish the alternatives were viable...but they aren't no matter how hard environmentalist argue other wise. The facts just don't back it up. If we want more green alternatives, we need more technical progress.

2nd. The best realistic alternative is nuclear, but the no nuke freaks scared away any rational debate on the subject (using movies, cute mottos, etc to kill the Nuke debate). As someone pointed out, France uses Nuclear energy very successfully.

3rd. Until we have better technology, you have to have diversification in energy...if you don't, you will die economically.

4th. It is a fact....the plant gets built in our area whether we benefit or not. The COT could of heged on this by pushing a Nuclear plant....but since it didn't...the only alternative now is to join in with this coal plant that is going to be built anyway. If we don't, Tally will suffer economically.

I am an environmentalist, but unfortunately, environmental groups often opt for scare tatics over rational debate and worse, really are pushing political idealogy instead of green. If they were smart, they would of pushed for nuclear and heavy investment in America's heavy research universities for alternatives to Nuke. Instead they went for emotion and now we are worse off. Coal plans and fossil fuels with no alternatives that are realistic.

I could give you some dap for those comments. They were right on the mark St Joe. I absolutely agree with your opinions on the scare tactics. I've learned too much about energy sources in Environmental Science to believe much of their hype, I only wish more of society shared our knowledge on this matter. Truth is, we've got a great opportunity to get started with ways to diversify. I heard the commission today still debating the issue of the coal plant in the commission meeting. The mayor says we'll continue to look for alternatives, Im not sure what he expects us to take from that, but I'm interested.

Hear Hear! I LIKE this group - I agree that sometimes environmentalists are duped by their and others emotions when it comes to separating the facts from the hype.

Now everybody's got "COAL - NO WAY" - signs in my neighborhood. I saw a lady with a car full of signs driving around. she came to my house but couldn't really make a good argument. Yet the next day she apparently made a good enough argument for several in my neighborhood to sport the signs. People hear mercury, poison, dying, children, emphesyma, lung disease etc. and who the heck is for that?

Reminds me after 9/11 you BETTER sport an american flag or ELSE. You either for em or agin em. No middle area.

Archived