Tallahassee Coal vs alternatives

csmurphy8885

I saw a lady with a car full of signs driving around.

I saw this and I started to roll on the floor laughing!!

:rofl: Oh I can picture a white, dirty Subaru so full of signs they are hanging out of the window. Honestly, do these people have absolutely no confidence in the same science they claim to love. Clean Coal technology is not new, its cheaper, and its an alternative. For goodness sake, she's DRIVING around the neighborhood in a Gasoline Combustion vehicle and wants us to pitty her cause... heck no! I would have told her to stay away from my door until she got her facts straight "_ _ _ - _!".

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

^ All I can say is WoW! Now this issue is about to change. There is a possiblility now that the plant won't even be built. "Taylor County say they're asking other electricity providers whether they can provide power cheaper than the coal plant can produce it." If so, the coal plant could be history. So now what? Here is a link about this new issue http://www.tallahassee.com/mld/tallahassee/12768078.htm.

I don't think Taylor county has any say in the fate of this Coal Plant. They've already approved the site selection. This Plant is bigger than Taylor Perry, it will have sweeping affects over the entire northern part of the state.

This whole thing with the signs reminds me of the days when people were protesting the extension of the Blueprint Penny, or the whole Marsh Landing Debate... I don't know if anyone remembers that.

Do you really think thats a good sign? This is just a step closer to opening our coast up to crude oil drilling? I'm not for that!

you dont know what youre talking about. If there is crude drilling off floridas coast it doesnt matter.... they will be out of site from land, and no oil will wash up onto shore.....

you dont know what youre talking about. If there is crude drilling off floridas coast it doesnt matter.... they will be out of site from land, and no oil will wash up onto shore.....

I won't go any further neighbor... we might get into the politics of all of this.

But remember, in terms of there never being any oil washing ashore, there are no guarntees for anything.

• 3 weeks later...

I cannot believe the crap these people have put on tv opposing the clean coal power plant. I just saw a commercial where the narrator called the coal plant, outdated, expensive, and dirty technology. These people aren't using facts, they are using fear. And to top it off... in the background on the commercial, all you hear is coughing.

This is not the same coal plant our grand parents knew. Try giving the people some facts. Give me a break!

I cannot believe the crap these people have put on tv opposing the clean coal power plant. I just saw a commercial where the narrator called the coal plant, outdated, expensive, and dirty technology. These people aren't using facts, they are using fear. And to top it off... in the background on the commercial, all you hear is coughing.

This is not the same coal plant our grand parents knew. Try giving the people some facts. Give me a break!

If you think this is bad, imagine the commercials they would create if the city wanted to fund a nuclear power plant.

lets think about this in the mindset of my generation... are u old folks ready...

If it takes 10 years to build a gigantic powerplant, imagine what technological advances could be made that would make us look like pressumptious asses. We are problem solvers. Socially evolving from stone to bronze to industrial and now the communication age, next will be the age of energy! I dont just think this up when i am alone and bored. Its painfully obvious. Think of what we could do with energy?! I am not talking about covering the American Desserts with solar fields.... i am talking about serious innovation. I am talking about a younge einstien in wisconsin who knows the solution. I am talking about a researcher at the mag lab utilizing coils and electromagnets as generators with low heat wireing... i am talking about bulldozing power plants to make parks.

It would be inmature of anyone to say this idea of research-innovation-implication is too far from the truth. I mean, ten years is an incredibly long time these days. Bulding dinosar power plants is the lazy, dinosoar solution. I dont know a single enginerring major at fsu without a conceptual solution to this problem. Money will be made off thier ideas. Now, would u like to find and refine the viable, final solution today, or when we build this gigantic coal plant, and havent diversified our energy at all becuase our growth was greater than the wattage gain. Reality sucks. Lets just do what we all KNOW we Have to do. DEVELOP THE FREAKING TECHNOLOGY. War money for energy=REsearch money for energy. Which does more and kills less.

(hint: the right answer)

Debate the coal all u want. It is only a distraction from the impeding crisis.

lets think about this in the mindset of my generation... are u old folks ready...

If it takes 10 years to build a gigantic powerplant, imagine what technological advances could be made that would make us look like pressumptious asses. We are problem solvers. Socially evolving from stone to bronze to industrial and now the communication age, next will be the age of energy! I dont just think this up when i am alone and bored. Its painfully obvious. Think of what we could do with energy?! I am not talking about covering the American Desserts with solar fields.... i am talking about serious innovation. I am talking about a younge einstien in wisconsin who knows the solution. I am talking about a researcher at the mag lab utilizing coils and electromagnets as generators with low heat wireing... i am talking about bulldozing power plants to make parks.

It would be inmature of anyone to say this idea of research-innovation-implication is too far from the truth. I mean, ten years is an incredibly long time these days. Bulding dinosar power plants is the lazy, dinosoar solution. I dont know a single enginerring major at fsu without a conceptual solution to this problem. Money will be made off thier ideas. Now, would u like to find and refine the viable, final solution today, or when we build this gigantic coal plant, and havent diversified our energy at all becuase our growth was greater than the wattage gain. Reality sucks. Lets just do what we all KNOW we Have to do. DEVELOP THE FREAKING TECHNOLOGY. War money for energy=REsearch money for energy. Which does more and kills less.

WOW! Well said. You've caused a shift in opinion over here. I can't get over the though that the plant will be built in Perry with or without the City of Tallahassee, which is why I'm inclined to support it. Coal technology is infact Dinosaur technology. Clean Coal technology is a bit different, but you are right on the grounds that we've been lazy in not exoloring all other avenues for energy generation, conservation, and efficency.

I think as a community we will pioneer a technology that will reduce our dependance on oil soon. Should we use the $400 Million dollars to get started? Despite my inclination to support an outdated concept because its 50 miles away from us, and it will be built with or without our help, what type of message am I sending to you all and the rest of this community (when I vote yes). I'm basically saying I can be forced into supporting something I don't believe in just because it's inevitable. Its the same as supporting a politician just because the polls say he's going to win anyway.

Rather than sitting here, like a looser, allowing myself to buy into the notion that I have no control over how my government spends OUR money, I should insist that we use our resources wiser. Tallahassee has roads to build, storm water systems to fix, neighborhoods to clean, a downtown to establish, and an airport to boost. One thing that bothers me most about government is waistful spending on outdated concepts when our needs have outgrown them. Look at Capital Circle, by the time we complete the widening of it, it'll be time to do it again. Same will be the case by the time this $400 Million power plant is built. We can do better for Tallahassee. We're the smartest city in Florida for a reason.

Why not sit down with local scientist and brainstorm ideas. Allow Tallahassee an opportunity to break the mold and try something new. I like the sound of solar panels on the roofs of homes to heat water, or using our storm water system to turn a hydro-turbine, or biomass technology, or using wind turbines. Where are the ideas and studies? We study everything else years before we act... what's the hurry here!? I will not be forced into spending my tax money to subsidize a large energy conglomerant, who may not have the better interest of the City of Tallahassee and the State of Florida on the mind. Show me some innovation, and ideas, first.

But more importantly, those who are opposed, need not use fear tactics, use facts. This is the perfect opportunity to present alternatives.

Uh?...you are kidding right? Your solution is say No to Coal and have FAMU/FSU's College of Engineering students solve the energy crisis for Tally? Is that a correct summation for what you are saying? I want to clarify that before I comment.

Archived