Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Scott

Dorchester Heights~ South Boston

7 posts in this topic

Hey guys, this is Dorchester Heights in South Boston. On March 5, 1776, cannons captured at Fort Ticonderoga, NY were placed on this hill overlooking colonial Boston and after a small exchange of fire drove the British out of Boston to NYC. This moved the revolution south and changed the course of the war and perhaps modern history itself.

-------------------------------------------

The first pic shows how the city was so vunerable to fire from this angle.

heights1.jpg

Second pic overlooks the neighborhood of Roxbury. On the extreme left of the pic is a small white tower, that is Fort Hill in Roxbury and was the site of another colonial fort that also threatened the British positions. Every bit of land from the bottom of this hill to the round brick building in the center is filled land, the former South Bay.

heights2.jpg

The third pic shows our new friend Channel Center looking sharp with his little brick industrial buddys! (right center below the skyline in line with the brick industrial buildings)

heights3.jpg

heights4.jpg

heights5.jpg

This is the Dorchester Heights monument behind it is also the site of another historic event. It is South Boston High School where in that horrible 1974 school year busing riots tore across Boston, crippling the school system and destroying Bostons reputation as a forward thinking city gained during the abolishionist movement over 100 years earlier.

heights6.jpg

heights7.jpg

Ah Southie. I've never really spent any time there. They've never been all that welcoming to my people. :(

Awesome pics :)! I've never seen the skyline from that angle before!

Fantastic shots from an unusual angle. That would be a good place to get some night shots since it shows the skline with the city in front.

Great shots, Scott. I like the skyline from that angle, too. Keep the photos coming.

Great Scott. those pics are off the chain I just love them they rock. *must go to Boston*

A few highrise condo towers would be incredible on this hill. Too bad that sort of thing doesn't happen in Boston.