Hustle & Flow

mandrws1

i've heard it's gotten really good reviews. i really want to go see it. plus i'm a big fan of the memphis rap scene.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yeah, the story line is very interesting but the accents were terrible in IMO. I don't think we sound that bad in the South.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Memphis landed "Walk the Line"!! Wow for some reason I thought Louisiana had. Thats good news to my ears!! Really look forward to seeing that movie.

As for accents, I think people in East Tennessee have some of the strongest accents in the state, but folks who grow up in TN around the Tennessee and Mississippi Rivers I think have stronger accents too.

No southern accents there, huh, sleepy? Ha. I'm seeing H&F this weekend. The reviews are great, and I'm looking forward to it. I'm so glad Memphis landed "Walk the Line." It came oh so close to being a Louisiana production. Yikes.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The black middleclass in Memphis is up in arms about this flick.

According to Brewer, the director of Hustle and Flow, Memphis or the rest of Tennessee, won't be getting any movies anytime soon unless TN starts giving tax breaks like GA and Louisiana.

"If I want to keep making movies in Memphis, the biggest obstacles I have to overcome are two other states: Georgia and Louisiana," Brewer says. "Hollywood - and when I say Hollywood, I mean the people who are giving you the money to make your movies - is very particular [about the bottom line]. Louisiana offers great tax breaks for films and Georgia offers all of these incredible tax incentives [that Tennessee doesn't provide]. That's the big battle for [me] next year, because if we don't do something, and soon, there will never be another Southern film shot in Tennessee. They will always go to Georgia or Louisiana."

http://www.memphisflyer.com/gyrobase/Content?oid=oid%3A9780

Memphis landed "Walk the Line"!! Wow for some reason I thought Louisiana had. Thats good news to my ears!! Really look forward to seeing that movie.

As for accents, I think people in East Tennessee have some of the strongest accents in the state, but folks who grow up in TN around the Tennessee and Mississippi Rivers I think have stronger accents too.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yeah, the movie's out this fall. Check out that trailer I posted. Looks good.

Memphis accents are a real mishmash to me. You get that real slow lowland Deep South Mississippi accent like Jimmy Carter or Shelby Foote where they drop the "R's"--Dahlin"--along with the more upland southern accents like you might find in Nashville or Kentucky, northern AL, etc. If you look at a linguistic map, that deep south accent loops north to take in southwest TN

Contrary to what a number of people have said, I think many blacks in Memphis speak with a real southern drawl. By that I don't mean black English either. I taught a black student in New Orleans from Memphis who was laughed at by the New Orleans students for having that drawl--"you talk country, girl". lol

OK with me, I love southern accents.

Warden:  "Mr. Cash why not refrain from any songs that remind the prisoners they're in prison?"

Cash:  "You think they forgot?"

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

man i miss johnny cash. the actual recording of him at the prison is a classic. he always had a story to tell. that man lived a full life, that's for sure.

Don't get me wrong, I love everything about the way that we talk.  But I'm a life long Memphian minus my college years, and we typically don't sound how they sounded in the movie.  I liked the movie, but the accents were obviously fake.  "Hollywood" seems to think that the accents are very authentic.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I haven't seen the film, and probably won't anytime soon unless I take the 1 hour drive north to suburban Minneapolis, so I'm talking blind here. I just always noticed how blacks in Memphis talked really different--much more southern--than blacks in New Orleans.

I haven't seen the film, and probably won't anytime soon unless I take the 1 hour drive north to suburban Minneapolis, so I'm talking blind here.  I just always noticed how blacks in Memphis talked really different--much more southern--than blacks in New Orleans.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You are so correct. I have a visited New Orleans a lot and the Black people down there seem to talk more proper than we do up here. They actually called us "country!" I couldn't believe I was in Louisiana being called country. LOL

You are so correct.  I have a visited New Orleans a lot and the Black people down there seem to talk more proper than we do up here.  They actually called us "country!"  I couldn't believe I was in Louisiana being called country.  LOL

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

In New Orleans, they consider everyone in the South country hicks unless they live within a 25 mile radius of downtown NO. That includes Atlanta, Houston, Dallas, you name it.

I know that because I lived there 25 years.

Anyone seen the flick? Comments?

Like I said, I won't see it for awhile unless I drive up to Minneapolis, which I won't.

I like this quote from the film reviewer of the Memphis Commercial Appeal:

"To the film's credit, Memphis never looked worse." :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

Saw the film today and thought it was excellent. And I didn't even have to go to Minneapolis. It's playing locally to the farm-boy gangstas. They all wear their John Deer caps cockeyed. lol

Didn't think it glorified any thug lifestyle at all. In fact, it's not even really a rap movie. The performances were great--Terrence Howard ought to be nominated for an academy award. The direction was good as well--only one lapse into sentimentality. The photography was terrific.

• 7 months later...

Archived