NYC in a day

Brickell

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

oh, the urbanity...

I <3 NY :)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I know it's kinda un-PC to criticize any area near the WTC after 9/11, but the World Financial Center in Battery Park City across from the WTC site photographed in the bottom couple of photos is actually not all that urban feeling at all. It's as if someone decided to take some large suburban office buildings and stand them on end. They're quite set in from the street and the sidewalk, with a good amount of greenery surrounding them, and they are massively scaled without much detailing, so I never found them to be very pedestrian friendly or urban feeling. It's quite the opposite in feel from the other bustling areas depicted in the excellent photos. It was one of my least favorite sites in NY when I lived there, and many urban advocates consider Battery Park City to be one of NY's worst designed neighborhoods.

- Garris

Providence, RI

It was my first time in Battery Park city and I rather enjoyed it. It has a quiet park like atmosphere, and while it doesn't compare to the mass of urbanism that is NYC, it's still much better than you'll find in most cities. We spent a good deal of time walking along the path along the river. There were a bunch of people there and it was lined with some shops and restaurants. Yes they do resemble a suburban office park, but the fact that everything remains open to the public says a lot about it's urbanity in my opinion.

Thanks everybody for the comments. I started out in midtown going from the bus terminal to the library to the chrysler building. I'll get around to posting them soon.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm from NY and these are the types of pictures that make me miss the city life. Great photos!

I was in Jersey for business, so I stole a day in NYC.  It was a quick bus trip from Carlstadt to The bus terminal and a lot of walking after that.

This is the start.  I will add more as I finish them.

battery.jpg

warmemorial.jpg

liberty2.jpg

watertaxi.jpg

nycbrick.jpg

cluster.jpg

cluster3.jpg

church.jpg

tavern.jpg

lookingup.jpg

cross.jpg

cross2.jpg