Can I play dumb?

willacoochee

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks!!! I would've thought we would join Coffee County before Valdosta, but I thought you had to have a Pop. of 50,000 and Douglas is pretty far away. But there are more commuters from Willacoochee to Douglas than Willacoochee to Valdosta.

Thanks!!!  I would've thought we would join Coffee County before Valdosta, but I thought you had to have a Pop. of 50,000 and Douglas is pretty far away.  But there are more commuters from Willacoochee to Douglas than Willacoochee to Valdosta.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

A micropolitan area has a smaller population than a metropolitan area - which does require an urban area of 50k, don't know what the stat for a micro area is. I also don't know if Douglas is one or not.

But nonetheless, reviewing the commuting patterns - about 43% of Atkinson Co residents commute out for work, with the majority going to Coffee County & not Lowndes.

A micropolitan area has a smaller population than a metropolitan area - which does require an urban area of 50k, don't know what the stat for a micro area is.  I also don't know if Douglas is one or not.

But nonetheless, reviewing the commuting patterns - about 43% of Atkinson Co residents commute out for work, with the majority going to Coffee County & not Lowndes.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Teshadoh, where did you find the commuting patterns at?

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

From what I understand of how the Census Bureau does this... if more than 50% of the workforce in a particular county works in another county, say the major or core county, then that county will become a part of that core county's M.S.A.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I thought it was 25% of the workforce...or is that something different?

A Metropolitan Statistical Area (aka MSA or Metro) is an area that has a core urban area of 50,000. Surrounding counties are then added based on commuting patterns of 25% or more to the core county.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I understand the whole 25% workforce thing, and the fact that Ga. counties are somewhat smaller than average,

But 27 Counties, thats crazy.

Archived