Montgomery and Huntsville downtown pics

tonytt

I agree, Huntsville does not have a downtown the size that you would think it would have. Not knocking Huntsville, but I've wondered for many years where Huntsville's downtown was, and as it turns out I've driven by it many times not know that was it. I think that Cummings Research Park has taken a lot away from downtown.

A lot of people disagree with me but Huntsville needs more Interstate Highways linking to downtown, that's why I would like to see Memorial Parkway from I-565 down carry the new Memphis-Huntsville-Atlanta Freeway rather then the south bypass that

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I agree with your idea that 53 shold be limited access. However, the Memphis-Atl highway shoud not go through Huntsville. There are only 2 routes that it can take: 565 or the Parkway. The extra traffic load on the 565 "urban overpass" will make it unsafe and the state would have to pay millions of dollars to strengthen the bridge (again). The Parkway is ruled out because the road is already well over capacity, some places have over 120,000 vpd. Downtown is doing well by itself, and doesn't need another interstate.

I agree with your idea that 53 shold be limited access. However, the Memphis-Atl highway shoud not go through Huntsville. There are only 2 routes that it can take: 565 or the Parkway. The extra traffic load on the 565 "urban overpass" will make it unsafe and the state would have to pay millions of dollars to strengthen the bridge (again). The Parkway is ruled out because the road is already well over capacity, some places have over 120,000 vpd. Downtown is doing well by itself, and doesn't need another interstate.

The one thing that I like about cities like Nashville or Birmingham is that all there Interstates link to downtown, and because of that they get to show-off there Skyline to visitors. If Huntsville routes the Memphis-Huntsville-Atlanta Freeway away from the city by building the bypass then we'll take that ability away from Huntsville. I agree that Memorial would have to be reworked and widened; yes it would be expensive, but that is still what I would like to see.

I agree, Huntsville does not have a downtown the size that you would think it would have. Not knocking Huntsville, but I've wondered for many years where Huntsville's downtown was, and as it turns out I've driven by it many times not know that was it. I think that Cummings Research Park has taken a lot away from downtown.

Huntsville is a research/military town, so the research park and arsenal would be where most of the jobs would be found at first anyway. Slowly, but surely, taller buildings are being built in the downtown are.

A lot of people disagree with me but Huntsville needs more Interstate Highways linking to downtown, that's why I would like to see Memorial Parkway from I-565 down carry the new Memphis-Huntsville-Atlanta Freeway rather then the south bypass that

• 2 months later...

• 1 month later...

Downtown Huntsville

Awesome photo!! BTW, I wish the downtown side of Monte Sano didn't become so developed. I was born in Huntsville in the 70s and moved away as a small child. The times I went back (a few times in the 80s) I remember Monte Sano being so unspoiled and beautiful. It's still nice but it's lost some of it's luster now that you can see all the trees carved out with buildings in their place as you drive into the city on I-565.

• 1 month later...

Nice pics Scoots71. :thumbsup: Montgomery's population is continuing to grow; Is it now Alabama's 2nd largest city ?

Actually the city continues to lose population while the metro has increased.

According to the latest census estimates, Huntsville was the only major Alabama city

to gain population.

Alabama City Rankhttp://www.huntsvillealabamausa.com/news/biz_news/2006/062206_population.htm

Birmingham

Montgomery

Mobile

Huntsville

Alabama Metro Rank

Birmingham

Mobile

Huntsville

Montgomery

• 2 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

Nice pics Scoots71!

I worked heavy highway construction for a few years and my experience with constructing large freeway's in downtown's is a bad idea. Although there were built in the 50's and 60's with the best of intentions they usually failed to follow through. Two things typically happened in response: The people who lived in the city and worked downtown now had a way of leaving the city for the suburbs and thus depleting the tax base. Or Secondly the new construction would encourage more drivers to use the newly built freeway and thus create more congestion. So, cities like Huntsville that were spared having a interstate system carved through there city are very fortunate. ;)

Archived