Ashley Plaza Hotel may be demolished

bobliocatt

TAMPA - The owners of Tampa's third-largest downtown hotel, the 13-story Ashley Plaza Hotel, are considering tearing it down and building a mixed- use condominium and hotel project in conjunction with The Tampa Bay Performing Arts Center. The possible plan at the 3.3 acre site could include 500 condos and a 125 room boutique hotel.

Hotelier Ponders TBPAC Venture

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

While I agree that this aging hotel and the land around could be put to better use, I'm a little concerned about the owner. His history of pinching pennies at the expense of cleanliness would make me concerned about the quality of a new project, either hotel or condos.

I like the general concept, but I'd be a somewhat skeptical...

I'd love to say let's dynamite the ugly thing and redevelop the site, but like Jose I am a bit concerned about the ownership, and what type of project they would create.

I live in One Laurel Place; the Big Pink is more or less right across the street from me, and it and the vast open parking lot next to it are of great interest to me, and I would hope the rest of the owners in my building. We'd all love to see the Big Pink torn down; I don't think there's a soul in this building who would miss it. The loss of affordable hotel rooms downtown would be a shame, but I'm willing to bet it wouldn't make a significant difference in Tampa's development. And hell, we don't have any affordable housing in downtown, so why worry about hotel rooms?

Some potential benefits could accrue with the right development plan. 500 condos is a lot; it would require a big building, something that would be nice in north downtown but out of place. Or, failing a large tower, it would requiring building on the parking lot next door. Since that parking lot is the reason I have such a great view of downtown, I'd rather it just stay a parking lot.

Frankly, the knowledge that the owners are keen to look at development plans gets my creative juices flowing. I haven't done any architecture or planning work since college, but I'd love to put together a proposal and just float it, just to see what sort of reaction it would get.

Happysmith, I think you're going to lose your view soon regardless. I read that the parking lot in question is owned by a developer planning on building residential projects on that land. Can't remember the name off the top of my head. So you guys, and Art Center Lofts, could have quite a few new neighbors in the next couple years.

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!

Actually, we've all known that lot wouldn't stay vacant forever. The last time I called the number on the sign, I got shunted around a real estate office and eventually dropped. Another time I called the person I got transferred to didn't even know what piece of property I was talking about.

Based on that, I assume the owner of the lot is an idiot. And I stand by that.

Archived