Is Target the new Wal-Mart?

I just don't understand why in the hell they can't build these stores in downtown shopping districts where people can walk to them or take transit to them. Why do they always have to be on the fringes with seas of parking, instead of right in the city with a parking deck behind it and with the storefront right up to the sidewalk. Of course I can answer this question out of a planning 101 textbook, land is cheaper and more readily available on the fringes blah blah... I'm sick of hearing that though...

Because only a tiny of Americans would use them if they built them that way. These companies react to consumers, not vice versa.

• Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You're right. The design of suburbs and Wal-mart parking lots and so on are not a product of corporate America forcing their "evil" design upon us, but the success that they've had with that format.

Let's face it. Americans love driving big cars across massive parking lots to save $.40 on crappy merchandise. People are always telling me how great Wal-Mart is becuase it's so cheap... how it gives poor people a place to shop! Did you ever stop to think that maybe we wouldn't be so poor if places like Wal-Mart paid their employees more?

While Target is a little bit better as a company, their hands aren't clean, either. It truly amazes me how twisted our society has become , that our main concern is no longer the people starving to death across hte world.. but carrying out revenge on the ******* that stole *your* parking spot. So shallow, so pointless, so selfish, and so incredibly stupid. I've only been in Europe a month and it's already become quite clear to me how wasteful and ignorant we all are in America.

And may I predict: Someone will agree, someone will offer a counter-argument, and someone will just be p'd off at the world and tell me to stay in Europe or something to that effect.

And may I predict: Someone will agree, someone will offer a counter-argument, and someone will just be p'd off at the world and tell me to stay in Europe or something to that effect.

Well I would like to be the first to say I agree with you 100% ! It's nice to know somebody else feels exactly as i do.

• 2 weeks later...

That looks awesome!!! It'd be cool if in Charlotte isntead of a Midtown Target they did a Uptown Target like that

I know I love the picture of that Target.

TargetInsideOct05.jpg

Anybody know which one that is?

That shopping cart escalator thing they mentioned is a cool idea too.

We are removed from the factors of production in the same way that so-called nintendo pilots are removed from the gory details of war, only thing is that as consumers we have a much more devestating long term effect.

I think this can be called the fetish-isation of shopping... a total disconnect, not realizing/thinking actively about the sources of those products, how they were made, who made them, and how our actions/choices as consumers translate to that process..

I wonder how many planners/geographers have written/talked about this in relation to retail spaces..

I think this can be called the fetish-isation of shopping... a total disconnect, not realizing/thinking actively about the sources of those products, how they were made, who made them, and how our actions/choices as consumers translate to that process..

I wonder how many planners/geographers have written/talked about this in relation to retail spaces..

If we all thought about what insisting on getting the lowest price on everything we buy is doing to the economy of this country, hardly anyone would be plused about shopping at discount stores. :(

I know I love the picture of that Target.

TargetInsideOct05.jpg

Anybody know which one that is?

That shopping cart escalator thing they mentioned is a cool idea too.

i don't know which one that is, but [in charlotte] they should still build the Midtown Square one AND build one like that in Gateway Village

i don't know which one that is, but [in charlotte] they should still build the Midtown Square one AND build one like that in Gateway Village

I don't like it.. just b/c the building is cool-looking or modern, with lots of glass and colored lights doesn't make it more appealing to me... I would've like it better if it housed a technical college or some school..

and why does it have to say TARGET twice, isn't that overkill... horizontally and vertically, just in case you cant' read from top to bottom, or God forbid that you'd pass by at an angle that doesn't allow you to fully grasp part of the sign..

our cities have been taken over by huge print labels in primary colors screaming out different brand/company names over and over. too much visual noise!!

It's interesting, but being from the North (or at least maybe in Michigan), I can't think of one person who likes Wal-Mart. Maybe because it has Southern roots in Arkansas, it is more widely accepted down there. But here, they are just giant dirty flea markets with smily faces everywhere. Clothes strewn around, dirty floors, dim lighting, rude shoppers, not even close to the caliber that Target Stores have. We also have locally owned Meijer stores, which are similar to Super Wal-Marts with full grocery sections, which are 500% nicer. It's also considered socially irresponsible to shop at Wal-Mart, but you don't hear at all regarding Target (yet). And not Meijer either.

And Sam's Club is no better. The whole thing is a sham, in case you have a membership and haven't sat down and done the math yet :P

It's interesting, but being from the North (or at least maybe in Michigan), I can't think of one person who likes Wal-Mart. Maybe because it has Southern roots in Arkansas, it is more widely accepted down there.

A lot of the negative feelings that are associated with Wal-Mart is beacuse they are a Southern compnay, and that's also why a lot of Southerners cut it some slack.

A lot of the negative feelings that are associated with Wal-Mart is beacuse they are a Southern compnay, and that's also why a lot of Southerners cut it some slack.

Just a thought, and I expect to get grief for this, but perhaps it is a consequence of an exploitative culture that has been pervasive in the South since the colonial days. The South has largely been anti-union (which is music to WalMart's ears) and so, the fact that Wal Mart is such a terrible employer (in terms of wages, benefits, locking janitorial staffs in the store, etc) is just something that many southerners have become accustomed to and it's not that they're cutting them slack - it's just a normative condition...

Just a thought, and I expect to get grief for this, but perhaps it is a consequence of an exploitative culture that has been pervasive in the South since the colonial days. The South has largely been anti-union (which is music to WalMart's ears) and so, the fact that Wal Mart is such a terrible employer (in terms of wages, benefits, locking janitorial staffs in the store, etc) is just something that many southerners have become accustomed to and it's not that they're cutting them slack - it's just a normative condition...

I'm not offended by that, beause it's largely true. I can't speak for anyone else though. No matter. i got your back. :lol:

I wasn't cutting on the Southern culture or history, just the fact that Sam Walton got his start in Arkansas and spread the company out from there, and maybe people had just gotten so used to it. Walmart is relatively new in Michigan, only being prevalent for the last 8 - 9 years or so (and I'm still not used to it :P ). Our own homegrown Meijer has done a pretty good job keeping them squeezed out, and outperforms them store-to-store.

• 2 weeks later...

It's much the same in Minnesota where Target has a stronghold across the state. I think there's nearly 70 Targets in the state and like 15 Wal-Marts. (those probably aren't correct, but estimations.)

I do find it interesting that the CEO of Wal-Mart is calling for a raise in the minimum wage, though! At first i thought, great!

But then I thought: What a great time to come out with a bold statement like that: Right after congress rejected raising the minimum wage! He can safely say it without having to worry about it actually getting raised at the same time raising public opinion about Wal-Mart.

In the politics/retail industry, timing is everything!

Personally, I welcome Target. I hope they grow like crazy and take market share away from WalMart. The fact is that WalMart has grown so incredibly huge has resulted in it weilding fantastic buying power that can deliver mortal blows to manufacturing companies worldwide with a single decision. Look at the annual sales of the top US retail companies in 2005 to get an idea of the extent of WalMart's size:

1. WalMart......................285 Billion

2. Home Depot.................73 Billion

3. Costco.........................49 Billion

4. Target..........................47 Billion

5. Walgreens....................39 Billion

6. Lowes..........................36 Billion

7. Sears...........................35 Billion

8. CVS.............................31 Billion

9. Best Buy......................27 Billion

10. K Mart.........................20 Billion

Wart Mart's sales by themselves are nearly as big as the other 9 put together! As a result, it's not unusual for a manfacturer to find themselves selling 25, 30, and even 50% and more of their sales to just one customer - WalMart. And WalMart's Purchasing Agents are notorious in the way they negotiate. They use their fantastic buying power to the max. There is absoluety no telling how many companies they've put out of business simply by deciding to change suppliers (many times these decisions have been to foriegn companies).

WalMart has simply grown so big that they're dangerous. They have a virtual monopoly in the selling of many items. We needs companies like Target to grow, and hopefully take market share away from WalMart. And it would be in the best interest of America that people start buying less from WalMart whenever they can. Otherwise, I think the Federal government should consider stepping in and breaking the company up into pieces (possibly into regional stores like when they broke ATT up into the "baby Bells").

Wart Mart's sales by themselves are nearly as big as the other 9 put together!

:sick:

Wart Mart's sales by themselves are nearly as big as the other 9 put together!

friday-damn-large_000.jpg

I, too, welcome Target, and hope that other stores could balance things out a bit. Those figures are quite alarming.

friday-damn-large_000.jpg

I, too, welcome Target, and hope that other stores could balance things out a bit. Those figures are quite alarming.

:rofl:

Anyone read the article on Planetizen about how Walmart is trying to squeeze out a bunch of super centers soon cause they're afraid that in the future zoning laws will be too strict to allow them? I can't find the article anymore.

Manhattan :D

You know Steven you brought up a very good point! Up north, including Manhattan, you rarely find big-box stores! The only big box stores I have found in Manhattan are Best Buy, Toys R US, KMart, and Home Depot. And those stores were only scaled down versions and took up less than half of what your typical big boxers' do. And heck, the KMart closed with in two years that it was there on 34th St in NYC. It shows how in big cities like NYC, they rather buy from seperate specialty retailers than a mega one.

Archived