Columbia Area Road Work

GSP Tiger

I'm wondering if any major road projects are in store for the Columbia area.

I know the Intestates 20/26 interchange will be rebuilt in a couple years. I have seen the column foundations within I-20's median for the flyovers.

I also know the talked about northen arc from Interstate 26 westward of Columbia to Interstate 20 northeast of Interstate 77.

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They were supposed to start resurfacing 126 this summer.

I didn't know they were going to redo Malfunction Junciton. Lord knows it needs it bad.

They need to go ahead and make I-26 eight lanes to Lake Murray Blvd or Chapin, then 6 to at least Newberry, though preferably to Spartanburg. I-26 is horrible al most all times of the day.

I have seen that arc thing mentioned before. I didn't take it as a very serious thing- just as more of an idea.

Hopefully they will finish the work on I-26 around 378/Sunset Blvd soon. That intersection was a real mess.

I really need to get back to Columbia.

They need to go ahead and make I-26 eight lanes to Lake Murray Blvd or Chapin, then 6 to at least Newberry, though preferably to Spartanburg. I-26 is horrible al most all times of the day.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I second that. The same thing can be said about US 76 towards Chapin, Newberry, and Clinton. That road direly needs widening to four lane.

Hopefully they will finish the work on I-26 around 378/Sunset Blvd soon. That intersection was a real mess.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I can say the end product will very nice, Columbia's first SPUI. It is in the plans to improve the Harbinson Boulevard interchange into a SPUI, but no definite time when that will occur.

Okay, it's a little confusing at first but I figured it out. Hope all the people out in Lexington will be able to do the same.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It's not that confusing. The one that is up this way at I-85 and HWY-14 is a snap.

BTW is that the only one they constructing down there?

It's not that confusing. The one that is up this way at I-85 and HWY-14 is a snap.

BTW is that the only one they constructing down there?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yes. For now. These will become more common in urban areas over time. I-20 at number 1 and also at 378/Sunset are good candidates as Lexington's growth is filling in that area.

Two Notch at both interstates and Garners Ferry at 77 are also good candidates IMO.

Someone mentioned the Harbison will get one in a few years as well- so this is the only semi-official one we know of.

Yes. For now. These will become more common in urban areas over time. I-20 at number 1 and also at 378/Sunset are good candidates as Lexington's growth is filling in that area.

Two Notch at both interstates and Garners Ferry at 77 are also good candidates IMO.

Someone mentioned the Harbison will get one in a few years as well- so this is the only semi-official one we know of.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I wonder if a SPUI at I-77 and Garners Ferry would be feasible, with Leesburg Rd. being a part of that interchange as well.

I definitely think Harbison is a great candidate for one, but it's going to be even more of a nightmare construction job than the I-26/US 378 location. I can see the lines forming at both Piney Grove and Lake Murray Blvd. exits now.:)

What about I-20 at Broad River Road?

That intersection could use some reconfiguraion.  I guess a SPUI could work there without any hitches.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I think it's almost a necessity to build one there, if anywhere. Traffic on I-20 westbound can get backed up for at least three miles (back to Monticello Rd., my exit) because of traffic to Broad River Road and I-26. I see that they've begun extending the exit lane on I-20 to accomodate, but when you've got that much traffic flow, an extended off-ramp won't do much to alleviate the headaches.

Are Malfunction Junction and I-20/US 176 a mile apart?  Both are major intersections close together, and Malfunction Junction's outdated cloverleaf system and high traffic volume guarantees a wreck a day.

When is the estimated completion date of the 26/378 SPUI?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

They may not even be a mile apart--I think it could be 1/2 to 3/4 mile.

As for the SPUI at exit 110, I think it's now completed.

According to the SCDOT's site, construction is about 78% complete.

Here are some other projects:

Interstate 20 @ SC 6

Widen and raise SC 6 bridge over I-20. Improve ramps and add a loop serving Columbia to Redbank traffic
I'm guessing they're widening the road and rebuilding the interchange similar to Interstate 26 @ Lake Murray Boulevard, Interstate 26 @ US 76/176 (Broad River Road), and Interstate 385 @ SC 291 (North Pleasantburg Drive).

Interstate 26 @ SC 302

Improve the interchange by eliminating two-way traffic on the ramps and increasing the capacity of the intersection.

I'm assuming the two way traffic on the ramps are becasue of frontage roads, which are probably being relocated. Is 302 two or four lanes?

Interstate 26 @ US 1

Improve the interchange by increasing the capacity of the intersection and relocating the frontage roads.

Interstate 26 overpass US 1 here, so I do not know the likelihood of a lower level SPUI. (Charlotte's East Independence Boulevard has one I think.) I guess somethink like Interstate 26 @ Lake Murray Boulevard could work here. Another alternative is Greenville's Interstate 85 @ Pelham Road (also the same at Interstate 85 @ SC 101, Interstate 385 @ Fairview Road, and Interstate 385 @ West Georgia Road) when you loop around onto the Interstate.

For I-26 @ SC 302:

That's the Columbia Metro Airport exit on 26.  SC 302 is currently four lanes.  I'm glad they're moving the frontage roads there.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

With the relocation of the frontage roads, you are guaranteed two lanes to turn, one to go left and one to go right. Are there any traffic signals in place at the end of those ramps?

Speaking of the airport, are they currently building that airport connector road? I haeard that Phase I was completed some time ago, and Phase II was beginning construction.

With the relocation of the frontage roads, you are guaranteed two lanes to turn, one to go left and one to go right.  Are there any traffic signals in place at the end of those ramps?

Speaking of the airport, are they currently building that airport connector road?  I haeard that Phase I was completed some time ago, and Phase II was beginning construction.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The first part of the connector is complete, from SC 302 to Platt Springs Rd. It's a very nice highway--the kind that almost makes you wish it were a bit longer.:) I've heard that there are plans to connect it to the interstate, but I haven't seen the proposed route.

I would expect them to connect it on the southern end, near the 26/77 interchange. A northern interstate connection would probably be helpful, but I don't know how much.

Archived