Christian Exodus to SC

leets

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Will someone please tell me this is some sort of joke?  This will do wonderful things for SC's reputation.  [that was scarcasm BTW]. 

Are they planning to attack Fort Sumter?

Can someone post links of the articles and sources being referred to.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Here is the most recent article I have seen,

WND Article

World Net Daily has been running articles on it for a while, so check their archives for more info.

All the Greenville area needs is a bunch of Christian Exodus members settling around it to give outsiders added amunition for the "hub of the Bible Belt" reputation that BJU already gives the city. Throw in the "lost in the 1860s" element, and the PR would just be wonderful.

When I was in grad school at USC in the history department, there was a core of extremely conservative state's rights students who supported trying to secede again (they were very serious and not kidding). This Christian Exodus group is like rolling the most extreme of the conservative Christians (the dominationists who truly want a literal theocracy) with the most extreme of the "let's try secession" again crowd. It is quite interesting. Given the rapid and at times unsettling pace of economic and social change in our society, I expect to see more of these kinds of movements.

On the Christian Exodus website, they mention a couple of counties in SC where they could settle and build influence, but they never say which ones. I wonder which ones they are referring to...

The vision of the Christian Exodus movement makes me recall a quote from James Louis Petigru (opponent of secession) concerning SC secession in 1860. He said that South Carolina was "too small to be a republic and too large to be an insane asylum."

Can anyone say Branch Dividians.I consider myself a religious man ,but

it seems to me like this is just another bunch of close minded individuals

who is out to cause trouble. I love South Carolina and in particular

Greenville,but do people not remember what happened last time South Carolina suceeded.This state is just now catching up to the other states

in terms of standards of living.I dont mind anyone moving to South Carolina in fact I encourage most people to move here,but if this group

wants to stir up radicalist ideas I would rather them not move here. No one around here is gonna elect "Bob Jones "president . I hope people living in SC will have enough sence "not to drink the Kool-aid".

Its just a bunch of people beating their chests. There is a similar movement of people to New Hampshire or Vermont- except its not religion, its political. They figure its a small state and they can get enough people there to actually control what happens in the state.

In my opinion, SC is not as hard-core religeous as everyone seems to think it is. Not to say we don't have more than our fair share- but the increasing separation between anything religious and secular is starting to take effect here more and more. Over time it will be harder to do what these nutjobs claim they are going to do.

With the exception of a few die-hard fanatics, I doubt we will hear much of this in the future. SC will not seceed again. I agree with whoever said that more people = a larger taxbase.

Its just a bunch of people beating their chests. There is a similar movement of people to New Hampshire or Vermont- except its not religion, its political. They figure its a small state and they can get enough people there to actually control what happens in the state.

That would be the libertarians isnt it?

You are referring to the Free States Project. It is a Libertarian-based project that wants to get 20,000 like-minded people to move to New Hampshire to try to make a positive difference politically (i.e., less government and more individual freedom). The organizers chose New Hampshire because it is small in population and tends to be more politically open-minded (their state motto is "Live Free or Die," after all. Who knows if they will ever make it happen, but it is the same concept with different goals than the Christian Exodus.

According to today's Greer Citizen, this months Gentlemans Quarterly on Christian Exodus that Greer and Greenville are thier targeted communities. Also targeted are Greenville, Spartanburg, Pickens, Lexington, and Dorchester counties.

Also, they only have 12 families who have moved so far, that 700 number is the number of members, not the number who haved moved to SC.

Spartan, maybe the posts on this topic should have its own thread.

According to today's Greer Citizen, this months Gentlemans Quarterly on Christian Exodus that Greer and Greenville are thier targeted communities.  Also targeted are Greenville, Spartanburg, Pickens, Lexington, and Dorchester counties.

Also, they only have 12 families who have moved so far, that 700 number is the number of members, not the number who haved moved to SC.

Spartan, maybe the posts on this topic should have its own thread.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Greenville, Spartanburg, and Pickens county I can somewhat understand, being in the Upstate, but Lexington and Dorchester counties? I don't get it; I don't consider those counties to be any more conservative than any others in the state. Maybe it has to do with numbers in the county, or maybe just not wanting to concentrate in one area of the state--who knows when it comes to these types. :blink:

But I do have the lastest GQ issue, so I'll see what it has to say about that.

Greenville, Spartanburg, and Pickens county I can somewhat understand, being in the Upstate, but Lexington and Dorchester counties? I don't get it; I don't consider those counties to be any more conservative than any others in the state. Maybe it has to do with numbers in the county, or maybe just not wanting to concentrate in one area of the state--who knows when it comes to these types.  :blink:

But I do have the lastest GQ issue, so I'll see what it has to say about that.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

All of these counties are very conservative with a high Republican identification. There are other couties that fit that description, but not to the extent of the ones listed. Lexington and Dorchester are more economically conservative than socially conservative, but the Exodus folks probably wanted some geographic diversity.

Lexington County residents in particular, would not look kindly on any "invasion" of there political structure, IMO.

Judging from the most recent posts, these right wingers are a pretty small group, but are pretty adept at getting their message out.

From their website: "We now have a professing Christian president...". Kinda begs the question, Who would Jesus bomb? But I digress...

What toadstool have these blowhards been under the last 229 years? Of course you have to remember that Washington and Jefferson were Diests and didn't believe in the divinity of Christ, but pretty much all the rest "professed" Christianity as their religious tradition.

I say they need to go back to American history class and learn what the First Amedment means. Nowhere does it mention Christianity. Why does my home state attract so many kooks?! Jesus, deliver me from (some) of your followers!

Archived