Christian Exodus to SC

leets

:( I have read a lot of posts here and most people seem to have mis conceptions of Christian, conservatives. What is so wrong with having honest, trustworthy people that wont steal, murder, have

good work ethics living next to you? I could understand if these people were radical extremists. Most

of the infrastructure of our country was set up by people who designed our government along biblical

principles.

Who says you have the be Christian or religious to be a good person. I dare say that I probably do less bad than most that claim to be extreme Christians. For one they tend to criticize a lot and not look in the mirror. :rolleyes:

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Part of the problem is that the media likes to portray Christian people as boring, closed-minded, etc. Many people buy into it without taking the time to judge for themselves.

Another part of the problem, perhaps the biggest one, is that people who dislike Christians have had bad experiences with them. I have heard it said that the single biggest barrier as to why many people don't become Christians is Christians themselves. That is a sad but true commentary. Many people have had encounters with Christians that are less than pleasant. Unfortunately, those experiences represent all Christians as a whole to that other person...even though the Christian that person encountered was not representative of all Christians - and certainly not a model of what the Bible expects of Christ's followers.

I have looked at some Christians, after varying degrees of exposure to them, and asked myself if I would want to be a Christian based on my interaction with that person. Many times, my answer is no.

I am a Christian, and this phenomenon bothers me too. One problem is that, like any large group of people, there is a great deal of variability within Christians. Some are more dogmatic than others. Some believe one way while others believe another. That isn't necessarily a bad thing, but it is problematic when non-Christians are forming blanket opinions of all Christians based on limited exposure. That's why stereotyping, like with other groups of people, is a no-no.

If Christians would truly act according to Christ's love, we wouldn't have a lot of the misconceptions we do about Christianity. People wouldn't feel ostracized if they didn't believe a certain way. People would be free to choose whatever belief system or lifestyle they chose without being criticized or persecuted by some Christians (or any other group). Christians themselves would see their role as walking in Christ's love, period (and everything else would take care of itself). That involves being there for others, giving of yourself, treating others with respect regardless of who they are (or aren't), and sharing Christ's love when (and only if) you have a receptive audience with an eager heart to learn more.

My decision personally is based on actually studying certain religions. Based on that it just doesn't make since to me. I stopped believing in fairy tales as a child. Also, too many different religions. Everyone can't be right. I have been an extreme Christian twice in my life, surprisingly those times are what raised questions for me. I choose not to follow something just because someone else said it is so. Found myself trying to make others believe like I did during those times. Seems to be the norm when people reach the extreme end of religion. They pass judgement on everyone and it blinds them to their own sins. Like I said though, I am willing to bet that my morals and values are better than most who call themselves Christians. Fear does not control me, and I am ok with not knowing whats next.

My decision personally is based on actually studying certain religions. Based on that it just doesn't make since to me. I stopped believing in fairy tales as a child. Also, too many different religions. Everyone can't be right. I have been an extreme Christian twice in my life, surprisingly those times are what raised questions for me. I choose not to follow something just because someone else said it is so. Found myself trying to make others believe like I did during those times. Seems to be the norm when people reach the extreme end of religion. They pass judgement on everyone and it blinds them to their own sins. Like I said though, I am willing to bet that my morals and values are better than most who call themselves Christians. Fear does not control me, and I am ok with not knowing whats next.

I am glad you have found what works for you beliefs-wise, but I don't appreciate you terming Christianity "fairy tales." It is meaningful and certainly not a "fairy tale" to myself and many others here, so please refrain from that in the future (besides, I'm sure comments like that are grounds for moderator action). I did not and would not criticize your beliefs, regardless of my personal conviction about them. That's your right, just as Christianity is mine.

And I also agree that everyone can't be right. Thus I think it makes sense that many devout believers across different world religions are so passionate about what they believe. And besides, if a belief system doesn't evoke a sense of confidence, pride, excitement, passion, and peace in an individual, how good is it?

Moto didn't term Christianity "fairy tales" nor did he compare it to fairy tales, he just used it to illustrate that you can change your mind about something. I think the time that religion becomes a problem is when people take it too seriously, meaning that they are not content with believing what they want, they want everyone else to be clones of themselves.

I don't think it is a problem for people to be serious about a belief system. If you aren't serious about it, what's the point?

I agree that it is a problem when people try to push their beliefs on others. A belief system should be so real to someone that it doesn't offend them if others don't agree with it. If that were the case for everyone, then we wouldn't have people from all sides getting so offended.

:( I have read a lot of posts here and most people seem to have mis conceptions of Christian, conservatives. What is so wrong with having honest, trustworthy people that wont steal, murder, have

good work ethics living next to you? I could understand if these people were radical extremists. Most

of the infrastructure of our country was set up by people who designed our government along biblical

principles.

The problem isn't with conservative Christians moving to SC per se; it's the fact that these CE people have a very radical agenda for the state of South Carolina that many South Carolinians, including myself, are uncomfortable with, especially given South Carolina's past. As a matter of fact, I contend that what CE is trying to do is quite unbiblical. We don't see the early Christians leaving their cities of residence to establish a theocracy elsewhere, and Corinth in Paul's day makes modern-day California look like Vatican City.

I am glad you have found what works for you beliefs-wise, but I don't appreciate you terming Christianity "fairy tales." It is meaningful and certainly not a "fairy tale" to myself and many others here, so please refrain from that in the future (besides, I'm sure comments like that are grounds for moderator action). I did not and would not criticize your beliefs, regardless of my personal conviction about them. That's your right, just as Christianity is mine.

And I also agree that everyone can't be right. Thus I think it makes sense that many devout believers across different world religions are so passionate about what they believe. And besides, if a belief system doesn't evoke a sense of confidence, pride, excitement, passion, and peace in an individual, how good is it?

Greenville, I could careless if you or anybody criticizes what I know. Thats your problem not mine and it has no affect on me. I CONTROL ME. You can't offend me if I don't choose to feel offended. So take your best shot. I choose my emotions. Do you? As far as your threat of moderator action, this is how I choose to feel about it. If I can't speak my peace I prefer to be punished. Thats what this board is for. I didn't start the thread I just posted in it. It was a controversial thread from day one. Anytime you talk politics or religion someone too wrapped up in it will get offended. As you have.

Waccamatt, thanks for explaining my point. Thats exactly what I was trying to say. When I was a kid I strongly believed in Santa Claus. Should I get offended because he is a fairy tale and I was lied too? All of this is the same to me. Just because someone says it is doesn't mean it is. Its called illusions. They go on everyday in our lives. But thats the beauty of being human and having conscious choice and free will. You can choose to believe what you want, just don't get offended if someone gives their opinion about a belief that conflicts your beliefs. I am sorry if you got offended.

I agree that it is a problem when people try to push their beliefs on others. A belief system should be so real to someone that it doesn't offend them if others don't agree with it. If that were the case for everyone, then we wouldn't have people from all sides getting so offended.

I agree with this statement to an extent. I have a problem with people trying to push their beliefs on me. However, I also have a problem with people trying to push their lack of beliefs on me as well.

Krazee said it best- its not who they are so much as it is the agenda they have for our wonderful state that concerns me.

Greenville, I could careless if you or anybody criticizes what I know. Thats your problem not mine and it has no affect on me. I CONTROL ME. You can't offend me if I don't choose to feel offended. So take your best shot. I choose my emotions. Do you? As far as your threat of moderator action, this is how I choose to feel about it. If I can't speak my peace I prefer to be punished. Thats what this board is for. I didn't start the thread I just posted in it. It was a controversial thread from day one. Anytime you talk politics or religion someone too wrapped up in it will get offended. As you have.

Please tell me where I criticized what you or anyone else knows. I didn't, and you know it. In fact, I explicitly said:

"I did not and would not criticize your beliefs, regardless of my personal conviction about them. That's your right, just as Christianity is mine."

It should be clear that I was not taking a shot at anything about you or your beliefs. I don't really care what you believe, moton, as long as it doesn't infringe on me or my beliefs. My only issue was with what I perceived to be you equating Christianity and fairy tales. If I was incorrect in my assumption, I apologize. It just sounded that way to me, and probably others, so perhaps you should be more careful next time if that wasn't your intent.

Please tell me where I criticized what you or anyone else knows. I didn't, and you know it. In fact, I explicitly said:

"I did not and would not criticize your beliefs, regardless of my personal conviction about them. That's your right, just as Christianity is mine."

It should be clear that I was not taking a shot at anything about you or your beliefs. I don't really care what you believe, moton, as long as it doesn't infringe on me or my beliefs. My only issue was with what I perceived to be you equating Christianity and fairy tales. If I was incorrect in my assumption, I apologize. It just sounded that way to me, and probably others, so perhaps you should be more careful next time if that wasn't your intent.

If I did choose for it to be fairy tale for me, so be it! Thats just the way I feel even if someone does get offended. They can choose to be offended or not. What I was trying to tell you is no matter whether you take a shot at me or not, its my choice to choose which emotion I want to feel for the shot taken. Thats control of ones emotions. I choose not to ever get angry about religion, its a waste of my energy. Sorry if that offends you. Perhaps we should stick to what we all love, our beautiful cities in this state. There we have a common ground and is the real reason we are here in the first place. :shades:

principles.

Because UrbanPlanet is for "cool people"--post-modernist, New Age, 'gay friendly', tattoo-pierced, multi-culti types. They hate 'conservatives', 'Christians', right-wingers, and the like. Wake up!--you are the enemy here! Don't like it? Then get out!!! Or if you disagree with them the 'moderators' will kick you out.

Because UrbanPlanet is for "cool people"--post-modernist, New Age, 'gay friendly', tattoo-pierced, multi-culti types. They hate 'conservatives', 'Christians', right-wingers, and the like. Wake up!--you are the enemy here! Don't like it? Then get out!!! Or if you disagree with them the 'moderators' will kick you out.

Cute analysis... completely wrong of course, but a cute attempt nonetheless...

When I read through this thread, it seems evident that a (slight) majority of the SC forumers that have responded do hold at least some level of Christian beliefs. I'm sure if a poll was held, these Christian forumers would for the most part agree that they feel completely accepted here in this forum. I commend UP and the administration for how well this dynamic has been able to be sustained. As a non-Christian myself, I feel that fanatics on both sides of the table have been reprimanded properly, and banned if necessary. Tolerance for others beliefs is a neccessity on a global internet forum, and the Christians and non-Christians who post regularly here all seem to understand this. I understand that not all forumers here would "accept" my beliefs or lifestyle, but there's never been a time when I've felt like these differences in beliefs were under attack (except in the Coffee House, where open debate is encouraged).

On the other hand, unfounded whining and self-pitying rhetoric as well as attacks on the administration are discouraged. If you do find that a tolerant, sometimes politically correct atmosphere offends your sensibilities, then there are plenty of more appropriate places to share your self-pity.

I find this comment quite interesting as I, a moderator, am a conservative, a Christian, and a right-winger (though not a so called 'Christian-conservative'). It would seem that you are quite wrong.

What Topher commented on is exactly what we try to promote here. We do not care what your beliefs and values are, just so long as you respect and tolerate others. Its possible to disagree without being an ass and without insulting people. Its those who cannot accept this way of doing things that often have trouble on this site, and usually end up getting banned.

Everyone take a deep breath and calm down.Religion makes for a very controversial subject,and were all friends here on U.P. even though we may have different beliefs. I consider myself a conservative and I do have religious beliefs,but I can also see other peoples views and I belive that everyone has that right.This is AMERICA and thats why this country is great.Can you imagine living somewere else were your persicuted for your beliefs.Everyone take a second and be thankful that you have the right to express your opinions openly like we do here on U.P.

There are few things in this world that get people riled up. Religion, Taxes, and Politics. I usually try to avoid these conversations, seeing truly how little I know. I respect just about everybody on these forums, because we all try to post with an open mind, contrary to how Greenville County is run. I've noticed quite a few "flame wars" lately, and I realize how passionate we are about what we care about, hell, just look at me at LRT in Greenville. Yeah, we all have our opinions and we share them....I guess that what I'm trying to say is look at what happens when people force beliefs and a opinions on other people. I just don't want that to happen here.

Thanks for hearing out my rant.

-Mike

This thread is about the Christian Exodus group, so naturally religion will come up, and is certainly a valid topic. For the most part, the discussion has stayed within the context of that group. Just take that into consideration when you are making your posts.

• 1 year later...

The problem is that when you add that 15 to the crazies already in AC - and it might be the beginning of the Apocalypse! :(

The Exodus guys are really sad on a lot of levels. I think they might have mis-calculated the southern distast for "carpetbaggers" as one person put it. This might actually be something that can unit the right and the wacko right in Anderson. (Note: for those who don't know Anderson has a politically impotent middle, and only a hand full on the left.)

Even Ron Wilson (Powdersville's Councilman with close ties to white supremecy groups) distanced himself from CE. On principle? Or a political skill? I don't know. But he did it in the Anderson Paper today. That tells me two things both are important.

(1) Ron isn't ready to have campaign posters plastered around the County with his photo and Christian Exodus logos.

(2) He doesn't think that his voters (Powdersville) would stand for a Council person representing their views.

Since he won his seat because of voter apathy... I suspect he'd like to see these stories about CE go away.

I actually have a feeling this could be the best thing to ever happen in AC as these boneheads aren't politically astute. They will get people to the polls. 'Successionist' talk, even in conservative Anderson, will be seen as stupid.

Just my opinion. I hope I'm not being blinded by optimism.

This story was reported on the Charlotte TV news this morning. They said a Christian Extremist group had moved into Anderson country with the single purpose of getting other extremists to move there so they can influence elections. The TV news said this group claimed the Upstate of South Carolina was the perfect place for their mission. It was this particular group they named in the segment.

Archived