Downtown Jacksonville Photos

Metro242

I am no Ansel Adams, but at least I can usually hold a camera steady. I took these last night while killing time with a friend of mine downtown, and wanted to post them here. Our skyline really looks its best at dusk in my opinion, when everything is lit up but the sky is still blue enough to compliment the buildings.

My friend on top of the parking garage (don't like to post peoples pics online without consent, so I blacked his face out):

P2010045.jpg

The Modis from the street:

P2010025.jpg

P2010026.jpg

P2010023.jpg

P2010024.jpg

P2010027.jpg

P2010032.jpg

P2010035.jpg

P2010049.jpg

P2010050.jpg

P2010030.jpg

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Given that the motive to light up downtown jacksonville's bridges was primarily the result of super bowl and that I believe the mayor himself stated that he was going to leave the bridges lit up until the end of 2005. I'm pretty sure as everyone else that's a resident of Jacksonville, that the lights on the bridges of downtown definitely gives it an added touch and I myself would like to see it lit up past 2005. Does anyone know if they're going to keep the bridge lighting past the end of 2005?

Given that the motive to light up downtown jacksonville's bridges was primarily the result of super bowl and that I believe the mayor himself stated that he was going to leave the bridges lit up until the end of 2005. I'm pretty sure as everyone else that's a resident of Jacksonville, that the lights on the bridges of downtown definitely gives it an added touch and I myself would like to see it lit up past 2005. Does anyone know if they're going to keep the bridge lighting past the end of 2005?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I've never heard anything about the bridges going dark after 2005. Given the millions of dollars it cost, I'm sure they will be kept permanent.

I think the bridges should remain lit also. The Hart Bridge lights are my favorite. I do wish they would actually program something into the Main Street Bridge lights though so it wouldnt just be bars like in that last photo.

The graphics do change. During the 4th there were several different arrangements including the American Flags (my favorite).

The Hart bridge does look spectacular, however, I have to say that the Main St. is by far the sexiest bridge on the planet. I literally looks like the steel is glowing. That bridge should forever remain a downtown Jax icon.

Thanks for the pics Metro. :thumbsup:

The architect who proposed the bridge lighting did not include plans for a temporary installation. Two years ago, I think, renderings were released that showed all of the bridges with decorative lighting. I'm not sure, but I think the Buckman may even have been included.

If the bridges go dark at the end of the year, Jacksonville would only be taking a step backward than tryin to keep something that is unique in that city.

If its too expencive, why dont they just have them set to go off after a certain time at night like midnight (like many buildings in the dwtn miami area that area illuminated by lights)

I feel its just a waist of money to have them placed there to not be used.

Having the Main St. Bridge redone with new paint and lights, is the best way to get some recognition and familiarity about jacksonville among other cities......

I agree that the lighting panels at the top of the bridge that change colors are a little goofy looking. It would be cool if they would have just left that out, and then written JAX in classy white, non neon lights in that spot on both sides. It could have helped make the bridge a nationwide landmark easily associated with Jacksonville.

• 3 weeks later...

All I can say is WOW! Ever notice how all the buildings look taller when taking pictures from another tall building? Also, that sign on the Carling sure looks super! MODIS may not be the tallest, but let's face it, it is Jacksonville's signature major skyscraper. Jacksonville's downtown is filling in with density, finally, after many long years of parking lots, parking lots, and more parking lots. Southbank will be extremely dense and "heavy" skyscraper-wise when all is said and done. The pics, superb pics I must say, tell the story of how beautiful "big Jax" was, is and soon will be for the better! Sour grapes Tampa, Orlando and Miami?

FLORIDA SKYRISE ORDER

Nice pictures,.. especially the one facing east toward Alltel, The Arena and looking over the Hart Bridge expressway,.. if I didnt know u took that from Berkman Plaza, i would have thought the corner of the window on ur left was a really tall skyscraper across from the Memorial Building. Nice ........

Archived