Hampton Roads Housing/Real estate/and Economy

urbanvb

On most of the urban radio stations they call it "party down P-Town", and Newport News is almost always called Bad News. I would be kind of offended if I lived in Newport News and someone called it Bad News, but not P-Town. It's not like it stands for something derogatory.

Houston is sometimes referred to as "H-Town".

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Haha, virtually any high schooler that I know that goes to a Newport News school calls it "Bad News". I think many are more amused by it than offended, of course if I was selling a home in Newport News I doubt I'd go out of my way to put this in the add:

"2500 s/f, 3 bedroom rancher located in the heart of BAD NEWS"

I'm interested because Portsmouth is a sister city amongst the Seven Cities of Hampton Roads in the Tidewater region of southeastern Virginia.  Portsmouth has historically struggled and been bad-mouthed by a lot of people locally, but like all cities they are trying to do their best to improve.  While I live in Norfolk, I can see Portsmouth from where I live, and I know many who live there.  They have never said "I live in P-town" or "come on over to P-town to visit", and they consider the term to be negative.  I think Portsmouth and Hampton Roads are both better served if the City of Portsmouth is not referred to as "P-town".

Chesapeake Pirate

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I do not know your age or occupation or anything of the sort, but many of the shortened names (Bad News, the YC, P-Town, etc) are names derived from pop culture (50 Cent's song referring to Bad News) or teens/kids, so far as I've seen at least.

I don't live there and have never set foot in the city, just driven through it numerous times.

You should, the city is coming alive. A lot of renovations going on, similar to what is happening in Norfolk, but just on a smaller scale. I have no problem with Portsmouth and enjoy visiting. Sure, it's got some crime problems, but the city is slowly trying to correct that.

You should, the city is coming alive. A lot of renovations going on, similar to what is happening in Norfolk, but just on a smaller scale. I have no problem with Portsmouth and enjoy visiting. Sure, it's got some crime problems, but the city is slowly trying to correct that.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I rather like the city, actually, from what I've seen of I-264 lol. It has a beautiful downtown waterfront and is one of few truly walkable areas around. It does have a rather negative history and a lot of problems, but I agree--it's working to fix itself and with the new projects in the city it has a lot of potential. I just don't see P-Town as bad, but I suppose in the future I will refrain from using the term

Edited by PeninsulaKiddo

Not meaning this as anything on rusthebuss or hoobo, but I was just wondering how everyone else feels about referring to the City of Portsmouth as "P-town"?

Is anyone using that term a resident of Portsmouth?

If not, would you use it if you were?

I know this term has some history, and I think most would agree that the connotation and intention is not positive.

I would love to see this board be proactive in ending the use of "P-town".

Chesapeake Pirate

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Wow. I've always thought of P-town as a local nickname. I've heard many people from the city itself use it that term so i really don't think there is anything derogatory meant by it. It's more an affectionate nickname (like one that a family memeber gives to another) than anything else i think.

I do not know your age or occupation or anything of the sort, but many of the shortened names (Bad News, the YC, P-Town, etc) are names derived from pop culture (50 Cent's song referring to Bad News) or teens/kids, so far as I've seen at least.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Not sure what my age or occupation has to do with this, but I am 51, a certified public accountant, and CFO of a distributor of building supply products trading in Virginia and North Carolina. My wife teaches in a Norfolk middle school and we are very aware of today's culture. The term "P-town" is not a recent invention, and has long been associated with negative commentary about Portsmouth.

I don't think I ever said anyone here was intentionally speaking bad about Portsmouth by referring to it as "P-town". I was and continue to suggest that Portsmouth and all of the Hampton Roads area would be better served if that term died a natural death.

Chesapeake Pirate

Not sure what my age or occupation has to do with this, but I am 51, a certified public accountant, and CFO of a distributor of building supply products trading in Virginia and North Carolina.  My wife teaches in a Norfolk middle school and we are very aware of today's culture.  The term "P-town" is not a recent invention, and has long been associated with negative commentary about Portsmouth.

I don't think I ever said anyone here was intentionally speaking bad about Portsmouth by referring to it as "P-town".  I was and continue to suggest that Portsmouth and all of the Hampton Roads area would be better served if that term died a natural death.

Chesapeake Pirate

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Perhaps the death of "P-Town" could better serve our area, I agree. But I also agree with Vdogg in that it's more of a nickname.

Nevertheless, my only intentions with using the name were that it was shorter than writing out "Portsmouth".

I wasn't aware that P-Town was and is a long-standing term used for Portsmouth. As far as The YC and Bad News and other nicknames like that, those are mostly names brought forth by my generation, that was my point.

Wow. I've always thought of P-town as a local nickname. I've heard many people from the city itself use it that term so i really don't think there is anything derogatory meant by it. It's more an affectionate nickname (like one that a family memeber gives to another) than anything else i think.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I wonder if Portsmouth Mayor James Holley or Director of Economic Development Steven Lynch would share the "affectionate nickname" thought?

I don't see it used on the city website :D

Chesapeake Pirate

Edited by Chesapeake Pirate

P-town is a local nickname. I'm from there. I never found it to be derogatory itself. It's just when suburbanites say "OMG P-town is so ghetto!" If we didn't have the P-town name they'd just say "OMG Portsmouth is so ghetto!" Regardless of the nickname the rep. remains.

As a note, anywhere outside Hampton Roads, P-town is Provincetown, Mass. I had a P-town sticker on my car and people from NC to NY have asked "Cape Cod?"

Not sure what my age or occupation has to do with this, but I am 51, a certified public accountant, and CFO of a distributor of building supply products trading in Virginia and North Carolina.  My wife teaches in a Norfolk middle school and we are very aware of today's culture.  The term "P-town" is not a recent invention, and has long been associated with negative commentary about Portsmouth.

I don't think I ever said anyone here was intentionally speaking bad about Portsmouth by referring to it as "P-town".  I was and continue to suggest that Portsmouth and all of the Hampton Roads area would be better served if that term died a natural death.

Chesapeake Pirate

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

No offense Pirate but you are not in our age group and i don't see anyone that age calling it. I know people my age that live in P-town say P-town. Your age seems to be the reason you are offended. I grew up in Norfolk and have always heard Portsmouth as P-town. You have yet to explain why P-town sounds bad for the city.

P-town is a local nickname.  I'm from there.  I never found it to be derogatory itself.  It's just when suburbanites say "OMG P-town is so ghetto!"  If we didn't have the P-town name they'd just say "OMG Portsmouth is so ghetto!"  Regardless of the nickname the rep. remains.

As a note, anywhere outside Hampton Roads, P-town is Provincetown, Mass.  I had a P-town sticker on my car and people from NC to NY have asked "Cape Cod?"

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

People in Richmond area call Peterburg P-town for some reason too. I was talking about Portsmouth one day up there and said P-town and they thought that I was talking about Petersburg.

No offense Pirate but you are not in our age group and i don't see anyone that age calling it. I know people my age that live in P-town say P-town. Your age seems to be the reason you are offended. I grew up in Norfolk and have always heard Portsmouth as P-town. You have yet to explain why P-town sounds bad for the city.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

This will be my last post on the matter, if I can get my old fingers to type one last comment. I am not going to get any more specific in this public forum. I am not trying to fight or argue, just make a suggestion. This site is focused on the promotion of development and progress in Hampton Roads, and it is my opinion that the development, future progress, and overall reputation of the City of Portsmouth are not enhanced in any way by the term "P'town". I know for a fact that many residents of Portsmouth find it offensive, and I would guess that city leaders would feel the same way.

Peace, and carry on.

Chesapeake Pirate

I'm still confused; what negative connotation? I understand calling Newport News "Bad News" or "Newport Blues" is mean-spirited, but P-town? So is calling Virginia Beach, "Va Beach", "VB", or "the Beach" mean-spirited as well because we refuse to acknowledge Virginia in the name or think of a 440,000 person city as only a resort strip? Is calling the Outer Banks "the Banks" mean? I wonder how the Inner Banks feel about that. I don't think you even want to know what I call Suffolk...just tack a "you" at the end of the city name. It's all in good fun. I could really care less if people in NoVa refer to the CC up there by that name and take offense to people from the HR and such calling northern Virginia "NoVa". Portsmouth is P-town. Lighten up, man.

Edited by hoobo

I wasn't either trying to make you sound old. Its just that you are the only one out of us that sees the nickname as a bad thing. We don't mean to offend you in any way and we like you so if it really bothers you I will not say it on this forum anymore. We are just trying to understand why you are so offended by this nickname. I could understand "Bad news" as offensive, but every city in the 7 cities has some kind of nickname. What I was trying to say about your age is that most people that are lot more mature tend to not use nicknames and such or any kind of slang. I don't think anyone here is really trying to attack you but trying to understand what about the nickname is so derogatory. I do appreciate your input and it is good to see someone in your mature age interested in the development of this area. Again I apologize to you if I did offend you.

I wasn't either trying to make you sound old. Its just that you are the only one out of us that sees the nickname as a bad thing. We don't mean to offend you in any way and we like you so if it really bothers you I will not say it on this forum anymore. We are just trying to understand why you are so offended by this nickname. I could understand "Bad news" as offensive, but every city in the 7 cities has some kind of nickname. What I was trying to say about your age is that most people that are lot more mature tend to not use nicknames and such or any kind of slang. I don't think anyone here is really  trying to attack you but trying to understand what about the nickname is so derogatory. I do appreciate your input and it is good to see someone in your mature age interested in the development of this area.  Again I apologize to you if I did offend you.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Okay, now you are making me break my "last post" comment above. I don't mind being the only one with the opinion, and I am not at all offended by references to my age. I think the exchange of opinions is good if done with respect by all as we are doing. I hope to be posting here when I am 61 and 71 when some of you are 51 :D .

I respect that you and others use "P-town" as a nickname in good fun. I am just trying to add a little perspective that others have used it, and continue to use it in a derrogatory way. I think that all of us hope for the very best for each individual city in this uniquely organized place called Hampton Roads, and it is further my opinion that the future of Portsmouth is bright as evidenced by the waterfront development plan just announced. I don't think they will have a "P-town" sign in the middle of that proposed traffic circle. I think anyone connected officially with the city of Portsmouth would prefer the term go away.

Thanks for your courtesy and your willingness to listen to another opinion.

Chesapeake Pirate

I know this term has some history, and I think most would agree that the connotation and intention is not positive.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I think a lot of people missed that line in your original post. I don't think many of us are aware of that history. If the name P-Town originally had some negative meaning attached to it, I think it's safe to say based on the general confusion here, that that meaning didn't get passed on to younger generations.

I think a lot of people missed that line in your original post.  I don't think many of us are aware of that history.  If the name P-Town originally had some negative meaning attached to it, I think it's safe to say based on the general confusion here, that that meaning didn't get passed on to younger generations.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

What we are asking is what that meaning was but he will not say?

Okay, now you are making me break my "last post" comment above.  I don't mind being the only one with the opinion, and I am not at all offended by references to my age.  I think the exchange of opinions is good if done with respect by all as we are doing.  I hope to be posting here when I am 61 and 71 when some of you are 51 :D .

I respect that you and others use "P-town" as a nickname in good fun.  I am just trying to add a little perspective that others have used it, and continue to use it in a derrogatory way.  I think that all of us hope for the very best for each individual city in this uniquely organized place called Hampton Roads, and it is further my opinion that the future of Portsmouth is bright as evidenced by the waterfront development plan just announced.  I don't think they will have a "P-town" sign in the middle of that proposed traffic circle.  I think anyone connected officially with the city of Portsmouth would prefer the term go away. 

Thanks for your courtesy and your willingness to listen to another opinion.

Chesapeake Pirate

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I asked one of my friends who lives in Portsmouth and attends ODU his opinion on the matter, and he said that he hadn't really given it much thought. After a lot of discussion with him and his roommates they somewhat came to the conclusion that they didn't like the term--knowing that others used it in a derogatory way. They live in a nice house just outside of downtown and have only used "P-Town" a few times as abbreviations.

To prevent any further confusion and/or conflicts of interest, I will take the extra one second/ounce of energy required to spell out "Portsmouth" in the future. The last thing I want to do is fray any nerves or anything of the sort when our goal here is to share facts, info, opinions, etc. on urban development in the entirety of Hampton Roads.

It is crazy for sure. My property has gone up in price an average of $6k a month since January. At that rate I am afraid in the next several years the taxes are going to be beyond my means. I am hoping it will slow down a little but I don't know.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

A good way to calculate if a house is overvalued is if you could rent it out to cover the mortgage. A couple that I know who recently were sent overseas by the Navy found out that there is no way they can get the $$ in rent to cover what they have to pay on their mortgage (a house they had just bought) and thus, they are losing money every month... rent prices are still not rising anywhere near as fast as house prices and that is a recipe for disaster.

There is no way that the housing prices can stay this high forever. The municipalities are feeding into the hype by raising appraisals through the roof (they get more $$ remember). There won't be a sudden drop or collapse here, but I suspect that in the next five years, house prices here will begin to level out to more sustainable amounts.

There is no way that the housing prices can stay this high forever.  The municipalities are feeding into the hype by raising appraisals through the roof (they get more $$ remember).  There won't be a sudden drop or collapse here, but I suspect that in the next five years, house prices here will begin to level out to more sustainable amounts.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

They would get more money, but just about every city in Hampton Roads recenty lowered their tax rate. Even at the lower rate, they are probably still collecting more money than if price had grown at a normal pace without changing the rate.

You'll probably hear much more complaining coming from people like Alan Greenspan and such if those rents do start to creep up to keep pace with mortgages. When the fed calculates it's inflation numers, it uses rent prices, not mortgages in that calculation. And they gotta keep inflation in check. But I think

it's gonna start to spill over to other things if housing prices don't level off soon.

They would get more money, but just about every city in Hampton Roads recenty lowered their tax rate.  Even at the lower rate, they are probably still collecting more money than if price had grown at a normal pace without changing the rate.

You'll probably hear much more complaining coming from people like Alan Greenspan and such if those rents do start to creep up to keep pace with mortgages.  When the fed calculates it's inflation numers, it uses rent prices, not mortgages in that calculation.  And they gotta keep inflation in check.  But I think

it's gonna start to spill over to other things if housing prices don't level off soon.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well the real headache awaiting the municipalities is if and when the prices plateau or even drop slightly, many will have lowered their tax rates. After the nightmare of the current tax rate, folks will be up in arms to stop another hike and the cities will be left in the lurch.

Rent prices probably aren't going to go up here too much as there are many projects that are in the works. Many "condos" get leased out from the start.

Even in red-hot markets like DC the rental prices are far better than the mortgage prices are. The biggest problem with any market slow-down or even plateau is the fact that many of the new jobs that have been created in the past few years have to do with housing (from building to real estate).

Even in red-hot markets like DC the rental prices are far better than the mortgage prices are.  The biggest problem with any market slow-down or even plateau is the fact that many of the new jobs that have been created in the past few years have to do with housing (from building to real estate).

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Exactly why I'm still renting. It's cheaper than a mortgage at the moment.

It is rather scary when they announce that job growth is way below expectations, and half the growth that there is in the housing sector that everyone is waiting to burst any second now. The economy always seems to have that about to fall apart at a moments notice thing going. :P

I did think it was curious about the city's lowering the tax rates though. I mean, I understand the citizen uproar with those huge tax assessments, but like you said, they'll be stuck if things turn the other way. You'd think they'd be better off keeping the extra revenue, paying off some debt, or repairing some schools, roads, something like that.