Hampton Roads Housing/Real estate/and Economy

urbanvb

This is an ENORMOUS investment and could really be the major catalyst for other universities jumping on the bandwagon.

My dream for local colleges would be for the University of Virginia system to construct a new satellite campus, like the one at Wise, Virginia. Maybe if they built a research-oriented one somewhere in HR... that would be nice... but unlikely. We can depend on NSU and ODU in the meantime.

I know very little actually how this could work but if all the cities could get involved and make this a REGIONAL effort something might actually come of it. Isn't there a local technology council that meets regularly? Seems like I have heard of such.

I know very little actually how this could work but if all the cities could get involved and make this a REGIONAL effort something might actually come of it. Isn't there a local technology council that meets regularly? Seems like I have heard of such.

Yes there is and can't remember their name but it was Hampton Roads...............something.

I think they need to do a better job

Yes there is and can't remember their name but it was Hampton Roads...............something.

I think they need to do a better job

THIS is where regional cooperation needs to come into play. This is where all cities and councils, chambers of commerce etc. Everyone needs to come together with the think tanks and push this initiatve like never before.

Hello.

There is the HRTC (Hampton Roads Technology Council). Some of their success stories are related to commercialization of technologies out of NASA Langley. They have two offices, one near NASA LaRC and one in what was Kroger Business Park (Now Interstate Commerce Park). They have meetings every so often (Critical Mass). They just did a formal ball as a fundraiser for the technology council in New Orleans.

There is also the HREDA. The Hampton Roads Economic Development Alliance markets our regions to large companies. I don't think they have scored many wins. It is funded by all of the cities. There has been some beef that the cities put in unequal amounts of money and the wins wind up in a disproportionate set of cities or some such.

NSU has the RISE center. It's supposed to be some sort of incubator thing. It really sounds like it will be competition to other local businesses, which is kind of ironic. It sounds similiar to the ODU thing.

The incbators and technology parks are a neat idea, but unfortunately it seems like a field of dreams. Build it and they will come. There was a huge one scheduled to go in near NASA Langley, I'm not sure what happened to it. It was supposed to be commercial companies and gov't branches all together in a nice park. It was to be off of Armistead. When I left NASA there was some ground clearing, I haven't been up that way in a while.

The Raleigh-Durham area is home to some really major players, and has been for a while. If you roll thru Research Triangle Park you will see Nortel, Cisco, IBM, RedHat, Ericcson, and biotech companies. This is pre-tech crash. These companies have been there a while and I believe many of them got hurt pretty badly during the tech crash.

Honestly, I think the true technology investments are going to India. That is the hot spot, that is the Silicon Valley. That is where the growth is.

Other local built it and they will come parks include Corporate Landing in Virginia Beach. Chesapeake has a technology park off of Battlefield blvd behind Home Depot. Suffolk has the one near JFCOM off of College Drive (Bridgeways). Newport News I guess would claim Oyster Point. Hampton has NASA and the one that is supposed to go in off of Armistead.

It's little more than the same old office buildings. You will see them tout things like HIGH SPEED FIBER OPTIC INTARWEB. SOS. Same Cox service that is availible in many other Hampton Roads facilities at the same high prices.

But back to ODU. They should be able to spawn businesses off of research I'd hope.

Sorry :-) I just try to keep up with things. I've read other peoples comments on other forums regarding the HREDA and tend to side with them. The HREDA hasn't really shown themselves that effective.

I'm for some things, against others. I'm all for building up versus out. I really like the ODU Maglev project and believe that is a better solution for the future over standard light rail.

Don't mean to be too negative but the reading about the credit bubble and seeing what will happen to the US as a result keeps me a bit down. I also think the US corporation is selling out the US public, seeking short term gain with long term consequences. But that is for another discussion :-)

There aren't alot of tech companies here outside of resellers and service types, so I think I can get somewhere. If not, I will probably move to Northern Virginia. I was born and raised in Hampton Roads. It has it's ups and downs.

The whole thing about cities working together. It won't happen. It's a power trip, competition. They will always work against each other. That's just the way it is. I attended a luncheon for the 25 fastest growing small businesses in Hampton Roads (No, mine wasn't one of them grumble). You could see it between the mayors and their represenatives. The competition.

Edited by Telmnstr

Sorry :-) I just try to keep up with things. I've read other peoples comments on other forums regarding the HREDA and tend to side with them. The HREDA hasn't really shown themselves that effective.

I'm for some things, against others. I'm all for building up versus out. I really like the ODU Maglev project and believe that is a better solution for the future over standard light rail.

Don't mean to be too negative but the reading about the credit bubble and seeing what will happen to the US as a result keeps me a bit down. I also think the US corporation is selling out the US public, seeking short term gain with long term consequences. But that is for another discussion :-)

There aren't alot of tech companies here outside of resellers and service types, so I think I can get somewhere. If not, I will probably move to Northern Virginia. I was born and raised in Hampton Roads. It has it's ups and downs.

I didn't want you to take me wrong but we are just trying push positive things and I really believe the research facility that is going to be built could be a turning point, as well as NSU rise center. I understand your frustration but something is going to break and we will see these jobs here. I too think those committees could do alot better job than what they are doing. I don't see a huge push out there for HR and I think it needs to be cleaned out with better reps for this area! I hope that you do stay here!

I got the seller to pay closing cost for me in March

I am sure if varies deal to deal and it probably does happen more than I realize. But I am personally glad the market is cooling a bit so that your average families can afford to buy housing in the area.

Edited by guynvb

Today I spoke with a realtor and was told the market (particulary VB) is cooling quite a bit even from 2 mos ago. She closed one deal where the seller even paid closing costs. Even I was surprised to hear that.

Thats funny, they keep saying the condo market is red hot. Is this realtor referring to just single family homes or all real estate in general. Perhaps energy prices are hitting a bit harder than we expect. :blink:

Thats funny, they keep saying the condo market is red hot. Is this realtor referring to just single family homes or all real estate in general. Perhaps energy prices are hitting a bit harder than we expect. :blink:

I think she meant in general. I think too though that we are following a nationwide trend where condos are hot especially those in more urban areas. I find it amazing how many people want to return or move to urban areas where a few years ago it was get out as far as possible lol.

This is an ENORMOUS investment and could really be the major catalyst for other universities jumping on the bandwagon.

My dream for local colleges would be for the University of Virginia system to construct a new satellite campus, like the one at Wise, Virginia. Maybe if they built a research-oriented one somewhere in HR... that would be nice... but unlikely. We can depend on NSU and ODU in the meantime.

The UVa system? There is only one UVa. The College at Wise is its own separate thing. It's used to be UVa Endowment land, but no more. And there will always be only one UVa. Anyway, UVa and Tech have a satellite center in VB.

The UVa system? There is only one UVa. The College at Wise is its own separate thing. It's used to be UVa Endowment land, but no more. And there will always be only one UVa. Anyway, UVa and Tech have a satellite center in VB.

It was just a throw-out-there-idea. Penn State has almost a dozen satellite schools, and some of them are enormous and it would be nice to get a VA school to do it... VCU? UVA? A whole new one (yea.... not too feasible, but maybe). It could happen.

How about ODU just expands to the size of UVA ?

Already bigger by number of students :thumbsup: but not quite up to the monetary power yet. It's still expanding wonderfully. I just want to see another campus in the area... maybe a reasearch-oriented one? Like VCU with the main campus and MCV? Oooo... a med school.... Ideas Ideas. Okay, wow, off topic aren't we haha :lol:

Already bigger by number of students :thumbsup: but not quite up to the monetary power yet. It's still expanding wonderfully. I just want to see another campus in the area... maybe a reasearch-oriented one? Like VCU with the main campus and MCV? Oooo... a med school.... Ideas Ideas. Okay, wow, off topic aren't we haha :lol:

Have you forgotten EVMS?????

Have you forgotten EVMS?????

I know, but EVMS is pretty small... I know a lot of people that graduated from my school ended up going to MCV or UVAMed even though they would've rather stayed closer to home... but EVMS can only handle so many students. I'd like to see people around here having a ton of options so all the types of schools are available. A totally arts-oriented school would be AWESOME.

I know, but EVMS is pretty small... I know a lot of people that graduated from my school ended up going to MCV or UVAMed even though they would've rather stayed closer to home... but EVMS can only handle so many students. I'd like to see people around here having a ton of options so all the types of schools are available. A totally arts-oriented school would be AWESOME.

But the accomplishments of the school are very highly regarded. They have thousands of patents out there! Maybe its time for them to expand!

But the accomplishments of the school are very highly regarded. They have thousands of patents out there! Maybe its time for them to expand!

Well, I have no doubt expansions are in their future as nursing and physicians positions are becoming needed, but sometimes not filled. I have the aspirations to become a doctor or medical researcher, however, if I do go that route I probably won't be doing so at EVMS even though it's a great school (and would afford me the opportunity to remain in the area). Sadly, if I wanted to go into research... I'd probably be somewhere outside HR... but maybe ODU or EVMS can change that? I hope...

Well, I have no doubt expansions are in their future as nursing and physicians positions are becoming needed, but sometimes not filled. I have the aspirations to become a doctor or medical researcher, however, if I do go that route I probably won't be doing so at EVMS even though it's a great school (and would afford me the opportunity to remain in the area). Sadly, if I wanted to go into research... I'd probably be somewhere outside HR... but maybe ODU or EVMS can change that? I hope...

Well you could do your undergrad at W&M and then transfer to where you want to go! I don't know if they wil get their stuff together but I truly hope so but I fear it wouldn't be in time that you would need it to be! They better have their act together with all the military leaving now. HR WAKE UP!