Parking in Uptown

MZT

I've been parking in 1st Ward for free, since I moved to Charlotte 3 years ago. Why pay 3 to 4 bucks a day, when all I have to do is walk 2 blocks farther out? 8th street, 9th street, and Alexander street are all free (to people who know how to parallel park :D )

Of course, this will probably all change in a few years with Courtside and the UNCC satellite opening.

Anyone have any other good parking finds to share? ;)

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've been parking in 1st Ward for free, since I moved to Charlotte 3 years ago. Why pay 3 to 4 bucks a day, when all I have to do is walk 2 blocks farther out? 8th street, 9th street, and Alexander street are all free (to people who know how to parallel park  :D )

Of course, this will probably all change in a few years with Courtside and the UNCC satellite opening.

Anyone have any other good parking finds to share?  ;)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Gateway garage is free on the weekends (including Sundays during football season...)

Get ready, MZT. Rumor on the street is that First Ward is about to go Fourth Ward on you and become "Resident Only" parking. The single-family homes on Parkside Terrace, 8th and 9th streets are having a terrible time with uptown workers parking in front of their mailboxes. For those who don't know, the USPS will not deliver mail if a mailbox is blocked by an automobile. Further, the USPS will fine the homeowner, not the owner of the vehicle blocking access.

I'm proud to say I never have parked in front of the mailboxes. :thumbsup: Seems obvious to me, but of course there will be dolts.

Fortunately for me, I own a house off south blvd. Can take the #12 in now, or the light rail when it's ready. :thumbsup:

first ward parking won't free for much longer, and it won't take years. it is one of those things where if something gets taken advantage of too much, it is no longer available to anyone... The neighborhood leaders have been recently discussing plans for parking permits on neighborhood streets.

It is a royal pain to not have any parking spaces left anywhere near your house because of suburban moochers trying to avoid parking fees.

how is it done? they just put up a sign :)

parking regulations come in all shapes and sizes. governments can simply choose to limit public parking to residents of the neighborhood.

not all members of the public have universal access to all public land, the government can set reasonable restrictions on their use.

Yeah, I understand both arguments. When I attended NC State, I used to park on the residential streets north of campus. Of course, lots of other students did too and the people living there got tired of the streets being clogged and difficult to see out of their driveways. (Or the decrepit student cars leaking oil or breaking down...) Every year, the "No parking" signs crept farther out.

I think a good compromise is to just use "2 hour" zones. At least be friendly enough to suburban visitors who just want to get out and look around, or have a meal in uptown.

i agree MZT. i also did the same thing in chapel hill. I swear i can parallel park with just a 12 inches of clearance. the neighborhood i used to park in has slowly added no parking signs throughout.

2 hour parking is a great compromise (that may be how 4th ward is, i'm not sure). i really don't even mind uptown workers parking during the day, as long as they don't stay too much beyond 5ish. it starts to be an issue, though when coming home from work, and everything is packed.

Third Ward is resident parking only with permits. The residents got together and approached the city asking for it. Now, each person who lives there must pay $20 a year for each car whose registration lists that Third Ward Address if they park on the street. Cars parked in driveways are exempt. You get one street pass and one NFL game day guest pass. Both Park It! and CMPD patrol it quite heavily. I've seen plenty of tickets, a few boots, and even a car towed for not having passes.

I wanted to know how it is done.  Not the locations where it is found.  I have gotten out of the house a few times in the last few decades.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You petition the local transportation authority. Then, they work with the neighborhood to get the right plan set up. There's special event, daily and a hybrid of the two.

I think it's unfortunate that neighborhoods have to take these measures. I know people don't want to pay for parking, but it's rude to park in front of someone else's house. Now that they have to get passes to park in front of their own houses, they can't even have any visitors if their cars won't fit in the driveway.

hopefully first ward just does a hybrid.  it will be a pain to have to figure out parking passes for visitors.  Hopefully permits can just be required during event days and business hours.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

it is going to be an event program with stickers for permanent residents and a couple of hangers for guests

there's no charge for the event program, that's why it was chosen

so, people will be able to park during the day, but they better pay close attention to when an event is in town

given that there will be about 120 of them a year, that's going to be almost impossible

• 3 weeks later...

Archived