Commute Time

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm about 44 miles one way from the "office." On a good day it takes about 55 minutes. During rush hour it can take about 1 hour and 30 minutes. If there is an rain that can become a 2 hour commute. If there is an accient I just have all my calls forwared to my cell phone and I meet clients at the midway point. Luckily for me, going into the office is not an everyday event.

Looking at Brickell's commute, I don't feel so bad.

• 2 months later...

when i was working in boston, i was driving into the city during rush hour and leaving a little after the worst part of rush hour in the afternoons. (i had to use my car for work, otherwise, i would ride the T.)

the distance between my apartment and the office was 6 miles.

it took 30 to 35 minutes to drive that in the morning and about 25 to 30 coming home.

I live just outside Orlando and travel 13 miles out of the city to work in an office park. Both my morning and afternoon commutes are going the opposite way of the traffic patterns.

13 miles --- 25 minutes in the morning and 30 minutes in the afternoon.

I love the stories of friends who live way out in the suburbs. They commute into town fighting traffic and have a further drive, but when asked they all say they have a 30 minute commute. I pass them going 20mph to 30mph heading into town while I'm doing 65 mph heading out of town with light traffic, and they say it takes them the same time as me to get to work..... Maybe once on a holiday or a Sunday morning they made it in 30 minutes, but average commute time for them has to be 45 to 50 minutes. <_<

• 3 weeks later...

7 miles.

It's about 40 minutes whether I drive or take the bus. The bus involves waiting for it, and all the stops it makes along the way.... driving is quicker but then walking 15 minutes from where I park.

Longest commute ever was Anaheim to San Bernardino. Did it for 8 months. 55 miles each way.

7 miles. 7 minute walk to Subway/Commuter Rail station:

Because the commuter rail schedule is geared toward 9-5ers, it doesn't always work for me with my odd hours. But if it does:

Commuter Rail: 8-10 minutes with no wait because it has a fixed schedule

10 minute walk to workplace.

If not:

Subway: 4 minutes travel time, up to 15 minute wait, depending on time of day

Trackless Trolley: 18 minutes

10 minute walk to workplace.

26 miles one way from home to work. takes average 40 minutes both ways, except when i work late and leave after rush hour traffic lightens then 25-30 minutes.

my old job was 32 miles away from home, one way. took me at least a full hour, and the bulk of that time was spent on the 405 N from LAX up to the westside.. probably the most congested part of the entire freeway!

My current commute is 15 minutes on foot, or 15 minutes by bus, somehow, they both take the same amount of time. The bus is actually usually the longer commute in the afternoon because of traffic downtown. Less than one mile.

When I lived in New York, I did all sorts of different commutes (bus to subway to subway, subway to subway to foot, subway to bus to subway...). They all ended up taking about an hour, Queens to Midtown. I finally settled on the Express Bus via the LIE which took about 40 minutes plus a 10 minute walk uptown (I could have stayed on the bus, but it was quicker to walk once the bus got into Manhattan).

I've only commuted by car once in my life, and will never do it again. I commuted from Waltham to Burlington, MA (suburb to suburb, there's only one town between them). On Route 128 (the beltway) it could take me anywhere from 5 minutes to an hour and a half, with absolutely no way to figure out how bad it would be on a given day (usually, closer to an hour). Using the surface roads, it was a predictable 45 minutes every day, so I took the surface roads.

the distance between my apartment and the office was 6 miles. it took 30 to 35 minutes to drive that in the morning and about 25 to 30 coming home.

That sounds pretty good for driving from Malden.

I'm 1 1/2 miles from my job :)

My commute typically is my wife dropping me off on her way to work in the suburbs - which is a 5 to 10 minute drive.

After work I'll either take the bus (10 minutes), walk (45 minutes) or I'll wait for her...

My preffered choice is to walk home, takes me through a historically Black neighborhood, past a redevelopment of a public housing project & by Oakland Cemetary. It's a nice little walk, though Memorial Dr in Atlanta isn't the nicest street to walk along - but it's bearable.

I work about 8 miles from home but I am lucky in that most folks are driving the opposite direction going to work. Sometimes, due to inclement weather or even an accident, I notice the west bound lane and it can be backed up for miles! I live in the CBD part of the city and work out in the more suburban enclaves. Takes me usually 20-25 mins to work and 15-20 return trip.

Archived