Commute Time

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

About 50 miles from home, in the mornings it takes me about an hour, depending on the weather.

It takes me anywhere from 60-80 minutes to get home, depending on the weather, and the traffic in downtown New Orleans, Metairie, and in Covington.

35-45 Min --

5 min walk to J train -- express into Manhattan over Williamsburg Bridge (gotta love the view of the UN, Citicorp and rest of Manhattan) -- then transfer to the F train at Essex street to Midtown/Rock Center... sometimes I even transfer to an express train in the city -- but a three train commute is not the most ideal.

I'm 2 1/2 miles from work. The drive is 3-7 minutes dependent upon traffic, signal timing, the high school kids who repeatedly cross the street, and the train (I just go around it, but it still eats up time).

Biking is about 15-20 minutes on virtually the same route.

It's exactly 2 miles door-to-door from my apartment to the office. I know that it's exactly 2 miles because I bike and my bicycle odometer is very precise. :) The road sucks (it's a 55mph 2 lane rural highway with lots of construction) but it's a slight downhill most of the way there, so if I push it I can get there in well under 10 minutes. Coming home usually takes longer because it's uphill and I prefer to take my time.

My commute sucks now, especially since I have to drive to place to not even get paid (damn internships). 13 miles, usually takes me about 10 minutes since it's in Schenectady, NY (and theres NO traffic) and I drive really ridiculously fast. Anybody else actually scare themselves when they're driving? I become a raving lunatic the second I sit down in that driver's seat...which is why I prefer public transportation.

• 3 weeks later...

8 miles...between 10 and 15 minutes. I also go home for lunch every now and then.

I read somewhere that the fastest growing group of commuters are referred to as "super-commuters" because its over 2 hours each way. Over 2 million of them in the US. Yikes.

10 miles, 15 minutes and I go from Northeast Dallas north of White Rock Lake to Baylor Med Center, just East of downtown. Dallas isn't bad at all as long as you can use the streets and avoid interstates at rush hour, there is a nice system of parallel broad avenues with 6 lanes and major intersections often have ramps to prevent having stoplights.

• 2 months later...

I have an odd commute now. About 25-35 minutes (14 miles) from an urban area (Pawtucket, RI), through a very rural area of Massachusetts, probably the only one left in Eastern Mass, to a smaller city in the Boston metro (Taunton). It's weird one minute being in a city then down the road being next to a farm, and then into a city again.

about 15 minutes. it's obviously longer if i tack on a few errands and stops on the trip. the strange part is that a few days of the week, i drive downtown in the morning to workout and then i head out to the suburbs to go to work. in most cities, this would be a reverse commute. in Grand Rapids, we are so decentralized that there really isn't a reverse commute. :(

• 1 month later...

My commute this past summer was about 38 miles to my job in Westchase. If i took the beltway it was a 45 minute trip door to door, at rush hour it was more like 1:05. If i did not have change, I had to drive through Houston which bumped it to 1 hour including stoplights door to door.

At rush hour, I found it faster to avoid the freeway until I passed downtown, but regardless it took between 1:45 to 2:00 to make it back across the city at rush hour.

This was mostly from certain pockets where traffic was always slow, like major freeway interchanges, stoplights, etc.

Thats what i deserve for working so far away, at least my car gets 40+ mpg

The beltway was always faster letting me get to work and back but it cost $6.50 round trip.

My commute is about 15 minutes.

My longest commute ever was an hour and a half, when I commuted daily from Charlotte, NC, to Greenville, SC.

My shortest commute was definitely in college, when I just had to walk across the street to some of my classes.

I drive about 20 minutes if traffic is clear. (And the cops aren't on the roads...)

I'm curious about this, how many people actually count on and plan their commute time with speeding baked in? I'll bet a lot of people would think and say their commute is, say, 25 minutes, but it would really be 30 if they weren't tearing through the neighborhood and freeway.

I'll bet that is why it is rush hour, because everyone underestimates their travel time. I'll bet if you asked me the moment before the snooze button was pressed if I could shave 9 minutes off my commute by just driving a bit fast, I'd probably say yes :).

24 miles if I take I-20 & I-49... usually takes me right at 30 minutes in the morning and 35-45 minutes in the evenings. If I take I-220, it's 30 miles and takes me about 10 minutes longer depending on the day.

I used to commute in from Arkansas and my commute was an hour and a half in the mornings and the same in the evenings. Then my commute was only 5 minutes when I lived across the street from work, but now I'm 24 miles away so it's much longer than 5 minutes... but I completely enjoy it.

• 1 month later...

For twelve years until I left my job last year, my commute was a whopping 2 miles, and it took me about 6 minutes on a good day to get there and park in the lot. All local city streets, no highways.

I'm currently working from home. I don't think I'll ever have a commute as short as the one's I've had. I got really spoiled.

Archived