Fort Smith Ballpark

johnnydr87

New ballparks are popping up all over the state. Central Arkansas' Travelers is coming to North Little Rock. Northwest Arkansas' is coming to Springdale (I think) and they already have Baum stadium for the Razorbacks. Fort Smith might be getting one too. (Get it together, Jonesboro!)

Task Force Eyes New Fort Smith Ballpark

By Northwest Arkansas Business Journal staff

Northwest Arkansas Business Journal - 7/4/05

The city of Fort Smith is swinging for the fence when it comes to the riverfront development.

A task force has been created to help develop a ballpark complex off Clayton Expressway in downtown Fort Smith. Dean Kruithof, deputy city administrator, said the complex would cost $10 million to $14 million.

Link For Full Article......

Unfortunately, I'm not sure if any minor league team will play there. It will be on the riverfront, which is always a plus.

Comments? More info would be awsome.

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

New ballparks are popping up all over the state.  Central Arkansas' Travelers is coming to North Little Rock.  Northwest Arkansas' is coming to Springdale (I think) and they already have Baum stadium for the Razorbacks.  Fort Smith might be getting one too.  (Get it together, Jonesboro!)

Task Force Eyes New Fort Smith Ballpark

By Northwest Arkansas Business Journal staff

Northwest Arkansas Business Journal - 7/4/05

The city of Fort Smith is swinging for the fence when it comes to the riverfront development.

A task force has been created to help develop a ballpark complex off Clayton Expressway in downtown Fort Smith. Dean Kruithof, deputy city administrator, said the complex would cost $10 million to $14 million.

Link For Full Article......

Unfortunately, I'm not sure if any minor league team will play there.  It will be on the riverfront, which is always a plus.

Comments?  More info would be awsome.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yeah I read an article about Ft Smith's. I'm not sure if it would be big enough to support a minor league team. But I'm pretty sure there are different levels to the minor leagues. Aren't the Travelers AA? I'm not positive but isn't AAA the best? If so then maybe there's a chance for a A level team in Ft Smith. Probably a better shot for Springdale though. I haven't heard much recently on what's going on with it. I do know they were wanting a large sports complex. The baseball complex probably being the main highlight. They were talking about doing it in stages. But I don't know if or when the first stage would get started. I think the city was also hoping for some financial support from Tyson. It might be dependant on getting financial support before being built. I really like the Razorbacks and don't want to take anything away from them. But it would be nice to have something else up here. You'd think that this area is getting big enough to attract something.

Yeah I read an article about Ft Smith's.  I'm not sure if it would be big enough to support a minor league team.  But I'm pretty sure there are different levels to the minor leagues.  Aren't the Travelers AA?  I'm not positive but isn't AAA the best?  If so then maybe there's a chance for a A level team in Ft Smith. 

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The article doesn't mention Fort Smith pursuing a minor league franchise, and it appears that the park is primarily designed to host tournaments. Nevertheless, it does make for an interesting topic of discussion, especially since Springdale is considering a ballpark.

First, there are the MLB affiliated franchises, and then there are teams that compete in independent minor leagues. Springdale is said to be pursuing an team to participate in an independent league. Regardless of whether Springdale, or Fort Smith for that matter, could support a team, there must be an opening with a MLB franchise. Each MLB team has about six minor league teams, where prospects are developed, so there cannot be additional franchises for obvious reasons. For those of y'all not familiar with the minors, there are Rookie League teams, Class A teams, Class AA teams, and Class AAA teams. A Major League team has one AAA affiliate, one AA affiliate, and then usually a combination of Rookie League and Class A teams. The Rookie League is the place where players just drafted are sent. Between the two Class A teams, one has the higher status as being an Advanced Class A team.

Now, back to the issue that probably won't be an issue. I could see Fort Smith being able to support a Class A team, and certainly a Rookie League team. Currently Springdale could certainly support a Class A team, and in the future could very well be able to support a Class AA team. Keep in mind that there are middle to large size cities with Class AA teams, such as Birmingham, Jacksonville, Tulsa, San Antonio, but there are also smaller size cities, such as Springfield, Huntsville, etc.

As for the Travs, they are currently Class AA, but have been Class AAA in their past.

The article doesn't mention Fort Smith pursuing a minor league franchise, and it appears that the park is primarily designed to host tournaments. Nevertheless, it does make for an interesting topic of discussion, especially since Springdale is considering a ballpark.

First, there are the MLB affiliated franchises, and then there are teams that compete in independent minor leagues. Springdale is said to be pursuing an team to participate in an independent league. Regardless of whether Springdale, or Fort Smith for that matter, could support a team, there must be an opening with a MLB franchise. Each MLB team has about six minor league teams, where prospects are developed, so there cannot be additional franchises for obvious reasons. For those of y'all not familiar with the minors, there are Rookie League teams, Class A teams, Class AA teams, and Class AAA teams. A Major League team has one AAA affiliate, one AA affiliate, and then usually a combination of Rookie League and Class A teams. The Rookie League is the place where players just drafted are sent. Between the two Class A teams, one has the higher status as being an Advanced Class A team.

Now, back to the issue that probably won't be an issue. I could see Fort Smith being able to support a Class A team, and certainly a Rookie League team. Currently Springdale could certainly support a Class A team, and in the future could very well be able to support a Class AA team. Keep in mind that there are middle to large size cities with Class AA teams, such as Birmingham, Jacksonville, Tulsa, San Antonio, but there are also smaller size cities, such as Springfield, Huntsville, etc.

As for the Travs, they are currently Class AA, but have been Class AAA in their past.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I see. Thanks for the info. I really know very little about minor league baseball. So i'm assuming the Memphis redbirds are AAA?

Archived