Favorite Downtown Greenville Stores?

Does anyone have a favorite downtown Greenville store they like to shop at or just hang out in?

For me, I really like Mast General Store. I have bought two articles of clothing there a few months ago, and I really like to wear them whenever possible. It would be nice to see them have a wider selection of some items (backpacks, brown duck Carhartt overalls, The North Face jackets, etc.). The best time for me to go there are Sundays, Friday evenings, and Saturdays.

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't really frequent the retail stores downtown, but I like Coffee Underground. That is often the meeting place for my girlfriend and myself. It is easy to say, "Let's meet at Coffee Underground and go from there." Of course, it is also a sentimental place since our first date was there.

I have never even been inside Mast General Store, although I have obviously walked by it numerous times. I will have to go there soon and check it out.

I love downtown Greenville. But it still lacks heavily in retail. Most of the shops I would never shop at. The only stores I have ever purchased at downtown are Horizon Records and the Mast General Store.

Of Course I would like to see this change, when I move downtown I would love to be able to do all my shopping downthere, or most of it anyways.

Mast General Store would have to be my favorite by far. My wife loves their selection of Burts Bees cosmetics, etc.. My kids get a kick out of the toys and candy. I get a kick out of just walking around and chatting with Jack, Ed, and the other folks that work there.

O.P. Taylor's is another of my kids' favorites.

We used to enjoy Oliver Jackson before it closed.

I also love the Map Shop.

Recently, we've taken to "hanging out" at Port City Java and the Mellow Mushroom.

I like the Mast General Store, as well. I don't even have to have the need for anything or even have to buy anything, just being inside there and walking around is fun.

I like eating at the Mellow Mushroom. (I think i'm addicted) I also go about once a week to get ice cream from Spill the Beans. Love that place!

Years ago, I loved eating at Fuddrucker's on North Main. They have excellent do-it-yourself burgers. It was very sad that they closed, a very stupid move when it was one of downtown's most popular eateries. I know they're opening up in Taylors across from Target, but word has it they're looking at a location up at Cherrydale.

My personal favorite is The Map Shop, on Coffee Street. It's been so for a long time. I would love to see a Borders Books & Music locate in downtown someday soon. It would be an easy favorite! :) One of my long-time favorites outside of downtown is Books-a-Million, on Laurens Road. Great prices and selection. B)

One of my long-time favorites outside of downtown is Books-a-Million, on Laurens Road.  Great prices and selection. B)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Books-a-Million is definitely a great place to go on Saturdays, especially for kids and teens. It has the state's oldest and largest Pok

Brad Toy, I agree with you about the lack of quality retail downtown. On one hand, it is nice to have some local places with character. But on the other hand, those places cannot replace the popular national chains when it comes to satisfying consumers. And that, ultimately, will be what draws people and businesses downtown in the coming years.

Hopefully we will soon see Borders, Banana Republic, J. Crew, etc. downtown. I think that is the next step in becoming more urbanized and transforming ourselves into a truly world-class city. Otherwise, we will always be a neat "small city" with a few unique shops.

As long as Greenville can add the national chains downtown without harming the business at those same chains at Haywood and other areas of town, it will be a good thing. I am sure the local businesses will feel the impact a bit, but I don't think it will cause our downtown to be a boring one with a bunch of national chains only. For example, Starbucks downtown will most certainly not cause places like Coffee Underground and Spill the Beans to close...especially with more people shopping, working, and moving downtown.

Does everyone else agree?

I can't believe I forgot about the Map Shop! I love that place. I could probably stay in there all day and not be halfway though. I remember my ex being irritated that I took so long. But I figured it was ok since she took so long looking at shoes <_<

If something like Earshot came do downtown I would probably stop by.

Does anyone think that Greenville could have its own "King St" some day?

Brad Toy, I agree with you about the lack of quality retail downtown.  On one hand, it is nice to have some local places with character.  But on the other hand, those places cannot replace the popular national chains when it comes to satisfying consumers.  And that, ultimately, will be what draws people and businesses downtown in the coming years.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Woah now! I never said there were not quality shops downtown, I just said there were not places that I would shop.

Forgive me, but where is King Street?  Charlotte?  What is special about it?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

King Street is downtown Charleston's shopping/restaurant row.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Exactly. King St in Charleston has many chain stores and is a very populat shopping & restaurant destination.

Even though the local shops and restaurants are great, King Street's in dire need of road resurfacing, sidewalk improvements, and maybe more greenery after looking at those photos.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It's not just King Street...it's just about ALL of Charleston (with a few exceptions). The streets are extremely narrow, so added greenery isn't an option without taking out the sidewalk. It's a very old city and it shows. There are some streets that have greenery, especially South of Broad going towards the Battery.

One thing I learned during my visit ... Charleston is Charleston and Greenville Rocks! :lol:

I agree, but there are times I miss being by the ocean.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

As do I, though only as a vacation spot. When I feel like a stroll down the beach, it's only a weekend trip away. The mountains hold more power over my mind though, so I really love being here. :)

Archived