Louttit/What Cheer Laundry Building

TheAnk

I was driving down Cranston Street and noticed this was demolished.. Does any one know what is going in that plat and lot?

I know the city got Brownfield funding, but I haven't heard anything on what is going there after site cleanup..

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was driving down Cranston Street and noticed this was demolished.. Does any one know what is going in that plat and lot?

I know the city got Brownfield funding, but I haven't heard anything on what is going there after site cleanup..

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The Entire building was demolished?? Any idea when this happened? I drove by no more than a week or two ago and unless I totally did not notice I think it was still there. Strange. I felt so bad when it burned, it could have been a great condo conversion.

Liam

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

This should have been torn down years ago. It was beyond repair after the fire. Ya can't save every old building.

I drove by What Cheer Sunday and it is indeed still there.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Huh? Maybe I am on PCP then! :blink:

On Cranston Street, under RT 10 right across from the Lowes/Katherine Gibbs School plaza there..

That building was demolished.. Its a bunch of bricks.. I thought that was Loutitt??

Yeah, the trolley barn then.. Its a pile of rubble now.. Whats going up there?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Paolino took down the barn without any use for the site in mind. So for now, its just a blank slate. Here's the UP page about it: Trolley Barn Demolished... where were you, Mr Lunchtray?

FYI: The Loutit site is under management by the WBNA. Haven't heard of any progress from them since that news story on AIR about the Brownfields grant. They dont even have it listed under "Projects".

Paolino took down the barn without any use for the site in mind. So for now, its just a blank slate. Here's the UP page about it: Trolley Barn Demolished... where were you, Mr Lunchtray?

FYI: The Loutit site is under management by the WBNA. Haven't heard of any progress from them since that news story on AIR about the Brownfields grant. They dont even have it listed under "Projects".

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Mr. Lunchtray must have a short memory. :rofl:

Huh? Maybe I am on PCP then!  :blink:

On Cranston Street, under RT 10 right across from the Lowes/Katherine Gibbs School plaza there..

That building was demolished.. Its a bunch of bricks.. I thought that was Loutitt??

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Gee!! And I thought you knew everything there was to know about Providence.

• 4 weeks later...

Louttit is owned by the Redevelopment Agency and is under contract to a group called Brownfields Recovery and SWAP. Plans are for the site to be redevelop for ground floor commercial, potential office space and affordable housing. Discussions are ongoing with Citizens Bank about property swaps so that development can happen on both Westminster and Cranston Streets. Expect addtional environmental remediation to start in the next month or so.

• 9 months later...

OTHER BUSINESS

5. PRELIMINARY APPLICATION WHAT CHEER/LOUTTIT LAUNDRY, 93 CRANSTON STREET (ICBD)

The applicant is proposing the demolition or partial demolition of the existing building as part of a redevelopment proposal for the site.

Anyone know what if anything came of this and what the redevelopment proposal is. I am itching for something to be done with that property. Its one of the reasons I take new visitors down Broadway instead of Westminster.

The presentation to the PHDC was basically a status report on the issues facing the environmental remediation and redevelopment of the site. The purpose of the presentation was to inform the PHDC that to clean up the site the building may have to be demolished. The property is under agreement to a partnership of Brownfields Redevelopment Inc and SWAP Inc. the hope is that a clean up and development plan will be in place by the early FALL.

The presentation to the PHDC was basically a status report on the issues facing the environmental remediation and redevelopment of the site. The purpose of the presentation was to inform the PHDC that to clean up the site the building may have to be demolished. The property is under agreement to a partnership of Brownfields Redevelopment Inc and SWAP Inc. the hope is that a clean up and development plan will be in place by the early FALL.

Thanks Thom for the info! It would be great to see something come of this!

• 1 year later...

Archived