• West Palm Beach
    • Gainesville
    • Naples
    • Fernandina Beach
    • Panama City

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

While I havent driven in all FL cities during rush hour, I think the worst traffic I have seen in FL (and some of the worst ever except for LA) was in Miami in the afternoon. They seemed to have inadequate roads and poor drivers (although this was 6 years ago and in one area). I cant imagine Orlando is worse than that.

Tallahassee doesn't really have that bad of traffic, only when FAMU's homecoming and FSU games come traffic is unbearable. Overall the cities i been too I will say Miami comes in 1st for worst traffic then, Jax, Tampa and Orlando are about tied.

Miami consistently ranks in the top 5 nationwide for worst traffic congestion, along with LA, Washington DC, Seattle, and San Francisco. South Florida MSA as a whole ties with Houston for #6 among metropolitan areas. The morning rush hour can last as long as 6am-9am, and the afternoon rush can be as long as 4pm-7pm. It has gotten just as bad in Broward County as well, especially along I-595.

The difference here is that there is (finally) a political will to do something about it besides just new roads. We've finally gotten that all-too-good combination of elected officials both at the municipal and county levels embracing mass transit projects and a general public that is sick and tired of sitting stuck in traffic and would ride the darn train today if only they could build it fast enough. The Metrorail expansions, the Miami Streetcar, our expanding bus fleet, etc., would not be possible because if we had not been willing to tax ourselves extra to pay for it.

tallahassee is pretty good. But when i visited tampa i was in hell. I havent seen miami, But looking at maps, it cannot be good. Gainsville's lights are no joke... there are about 4 itmes too many. there is no way to reach the speed limit on most roads, before you are breaking for a constantly red light. I vote for tampa... by default.

In terms of traffic congestion, Miami is in a league of its own in the state of Florida. The average of daily commute far outpasses the three other major metropolitan areas in the state. However, Orlando may be the most dangerous city to drive in because of the mix of tourists, elderly and young people (i.e. college students and young business professionals). There was recently an article in the Orlando Sentinel regarding several L.A. residents who are fearful of the aggressive driving in The City Beautiful - now that's pretty bad! It is unfortunate that the metro area leads the nation in the number of pedestrian deaths - mainly due to the crosswalk nightware known as I-Drive.

• 5 months later...

I'll go with a dark horse candidate with Ft. Myers. The traffic in that city is HELL from around September until April, and with no expressways or anything along those lines it's pretty much impossible to get anywhere.

I was wondering why they put Naples in the poll but not Ft Myers. Naples traffic is light compared to most of urban Florida. Ft Myers is an absolute nightmare, it has the traffic issues of a city of a million or a metro of several. There's too much dependence on the Tamiami trail to carry traffic and I-75 is too far east to really be the main thoroughfare, though it is busy as well.

Miami has the heaviest traffic, no doubt. That will never cease as density is too friggin' high because it sandwiched between the Glades and the Atlantic and you can only build a couple of parallel roads in that long strip - traffic is so much worse because most of it is going only North-South. I-595 is terrible as well because it has to shoulder all of Broward's traffic.

Worse traffic, predictably:

Miami

Worst traffic issues with propensity to cause nightmare problems in the next two decades:

Ft Myers

MIA/FTL/WPB is the worst I've seen. Tampa Bay and Orlando are about an even second place. I've not driven around Jacksonville enough to really know about it.

Now for a relatively small city, Gainesville has some pretty bad rush hour traffic coming in from the west in the morning and going out to the west in the evening. It doesn't matter which road you take -- they're all backed up. Too many traffic lights and major roads that dead end at bad spots...not a good situation.

For NW Florida traffic, hwy 98 from Gulf Breeze to Destin takes the cake for some of the worst traffic buildups in the area, especially the leg from Navarre to Hurlburt Fld. and the Island connecting FWB and Destin. Why, because it is the only main corridor on the coast.

For the big 4 of the state that I have driven through. Jax is not bad compared to Tampa, but I will take Tampa's over Orlando's. I haven't personally driven in Miami, but from what I have seen.....It wins HANDS DOWN

I voted for Miami bc everytime i'm there traffic is backed up on 95, but then second for me would be orlando and then tampa and jacksonville tie.

With all the rankings that place us near the top (e.g., murder rate), I'm glad we're (Jacksonville) near the bottom for this one.

I've been in traffic many times in Miami and Orlando and I rate Orlando's worse. There isn't really a main limited access east-west route and the interchanges and basic configurations seem to be more of a creative way to build long stretches of flyovers and off-ramps. Miami didn't bring too many surprises, just large congested roads.

With all the rankings that place us near the top (e.g., murder rate), I'm glad we're (Jacksonville) near the bottom for this one.

... I rate Orlando's worse. There isn't really a main limited access east-west route...

Uhh...yeah there is...it's called the EAST/WEST Expressway or SR 408. Granted, it's a toll road, however it's limited access and always congested in morning & evening rush hours. It runs from the Turnpike in west Orange county all the way to East Hwy 50 in Bithlo/Christmas near the Orange/Brevard county lines. It's as major an east/west route as we're gonna get for now.

Uhh...yeah there is...it's called the EAST/WEST Expressway or SR 408. Granted, it's a toll road, however it's limited access and always congested in morning & evening rush hours.

I stand corrected. I've driven the 408 many times. Coming from a non-toll location, I group toll roads in a separate category.

I am going to say Orlando has the worst traffic in the state then Miami comes as a close 2nd.

Orlando, unlike Miami, has room to grow and grow and grow like crazy, therefore, people will be continuing to use automobiles to travel far distances in car reliant Orlando. Miami on the other hand is much more dense and people are beginning to live on top of each other due to the everglades haulting development inland while everything seemed to be in closer proximity so people are not driving very far.

Is there any plans to build rail lines along the coastlines of FL? It would be very feasible to move people up and down the coastline instead of forcing everyone to use I-75 and I-95 all the time. The auto train from northern Virginia to FL is a good start giving motorists from the north an option to just take the train with their car going to FL.

I am going to say Orlando has the worst traffic in the state then Miami comes as a close 2nd.

Orlando, unlike Miami, has room to grow and grow and grow like crazy, therefore, people will be continuing to use automobiles to travel far distances in car reliant Orlando. Miami on the other hand is much more dense and people are beginning to live on top of each other due to the everglades haulting development inland while everything seemed to be in closer proximity so people are not driving very far.

Is there any plans to build rail lines along the coastlines of FL? It would be very feasible to move people up and down the coastline instead of forcing everyone to use I-75 and I-95 all the time. The auto train from northern Virginia to FL is a good start giving motorists from the north an option to just take the train with their car going to FL.

I agree 100%

Archived