• St. Petersburg
    • Miami
    • Ft. Lauderdale
    • West Palm Beach
    • Gainesville
    • Naples
    • Fernandina Beach
    • Panama City

I am going to say Orlando has the worst traffic in the state then Miami comes as a close 2nd.

Orlando, unlike Miami, has room to grow and grow and grow like crazy, therefore, people will be continuing to use automobiles to travel far distances in car reliant Orlando. Miami on the other hand is much more dense and people are beginning to live on top of each other due to the everglades haulting development inland while everything seemed to be in closer proximity so people are not driving very far.

Is there any plans to build rail lines along the coastlines of FL? It would be very feasible to move people up and down the coastline instead of forcing everyone to use I-75 and I-95 all the time. The auto train from northern Virginia to FL is a good start giving motorists from the north an option to just take the train with their car going to FL.

RE: Rail Lines - Yes. Practically all of the major metro's in FLA (Miami, Tampa, Orlando, & Jax) have some sort of inter-regional commuter rail plans already in place or under construction. I would suggest checking each city's respective forums to learn more details about them. As for statewide? Yes, there are also plans to link the major metro's.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am going to say Orlando has the worst traffic in the state then Miami comes as a close 2nd.

Orlando, unlike Miami, has room to grow and grow and grow like crazy, therefore, people will be continuing to use automobiles to travel far distances in car reliant Orlando. Miami on the other hand is much more dense and people are beginning to live on top of each other due to the everglades haulting development inland while everything seemed to be in closer proximity so people are not driving very far.

Is there any plans to build rail lines along the coastlines of FL? It would be very feasible to move people up and down the coastline instead of forcing everyone to use I-75 and I-95 all the time. The auto train from northern Virginia to FL is a good start giving motorists from the north an option to just take the train with their car going to FL.

In reality, the Miami metro is still growing at a faster rate than the city itself, its just more on a North/South configuration than an East/West. Its still sprawl.

• 4 weeks later...

^ That alone does not justify Jax having the worst traffic in the state. Keep in mind that Jax is only the 4th largest METRO area in the state. Miami is the largest and IMO has some pretty bad traffic. However, after driving in all major metro's at least once during rush hour, I have to say that my hometown of Orlando has the worst in the state. Simply because some of our highways are still running on 1960's design. When the expansion(s) of I4 and the 408 are complete, and when we finally get our beltway around Orlando completed, then I think traffic here will be a little more bearable.

^ That alone does not justify Jax having the worst traffic in the state. Keep in mind that Jax is only the 4th largest METRO area in the state. Miami is the largest and IMO has some pretty bad traffic. However, after driving in all major metro's at least once during rush hour, I have to say that my hometown of Orlando has the worst in the state. Simply because some of our highways are still running on 1960's design. When the expansion(s) of I4 and the 408 are complete, and when we finally get our beltway around Orlando completed, then I think traffic here will be a little more bearable.

God I pray for that day.... Japan spoiled me with the train system... I long for descent transportation.

Just to change things up a little, we have been discussing traffic in the metros on average (all the roads generally). But not every area of town is the same and not every road is the same. For instance, in Jax there are areas on 95 that do get really backed up (for a time) like through town and at JTB and at US 1. In the morning 10 is INCREDIBLY backed up from the intersection at 95 in town all the way past 295 on the westside, but coming home is not bad. The worst is on JTB (for limited access highways) because much of it is only 2 lanes, and this cuts through the crowded southside to the crowded fully developed beach. They are widening it, but you could easily sit on its 15 miles for well over an hour. For regular roads with lights, Blanding is statistically the worst (even worse than highways so I NEVER go on it any time of day whatsoever), and that's followed by Atlantic. I'll post some traffic cam pics soon, here is a crappy one on 95 where this traffic isn't so bad and probably flows well (it's somewhere on the southside not at a backup area).

Camera_80.jpg

This past week I just spent time driving in both South Florida metro area and Orlando metro area during and not during rush hours. While neither are a picnic to drive in, South Florida by far is the worst area in Florida for traffic. Orlando does have bad traffic, but the intensity and duration of those problems is not nearly as bad as in South Florida. South Florida heavy traffic goes on for over a hundred miles while in O-town is only bad for say 50 miles. Also aggressive driving is far more of a problem in South Florida than in Central Florida. The worst problem in Central Florida to me is around the attractions where mouse crazed tourist have no idea where they are going and will stop and brake or even back up on any freeway at any given moment.

No contest IMO, South Florida wins this one.

This past week I just spent time driving in both South Florida metro area and Orlando metro area during and not during rush hours. While neither are a picnic to drive in, South Florida by far is the worst area in Florida for traffic. Orlando does have bad traffic, but the intensity and duration of those problems is not nearly as bad as in South Florida. South Florida heavy traffic goes on for over a hundred miles while in O-town is only bad for say 50 miles. Also aggressive driving is far more of a problem in South Florida than in Central Florida. The worst problem in Central Florida to me is around the attractions where mouse crazed tourist have no idea where they are going and will stop and brake or even back up on any freeway at any given moment.

No contest IMO, South Florida wins this one.

Oh you have no idea how aggressive the roads in central Florida are unless you have lived here for some time.

Oh you have no idea how aggressive the roads in central Florida are unless you have lived here for some time.

I have, I lived in Altamonte for over a year. Everyday I drove from 436 down I-4 to City Hall. I'd be willing to bet that many of Central FL's aggressive drivers moved up from South FL. :)

I've lived in Boca Raton and Ft. Lauderdale too. South FL has the most aggressive drivers I've ever encountered except for those in Mass, RI, CT, NY, NJ and part of Penn., which is where most of them came from.

I'll ask you....have you ever lived in South Florida? If not, you have no idea.

Again I'll say....South Florida wins this one, no contest, IMO. That's a good thing Central FL, be proud to lose this one. :D

I agree completely with ponnther. Anyone ever been to New Jersey or New York or Massachusetts. Those drivers are absolutely crazy. Even D.C./northern VA drivers (my old carpool driver who moved down from there was the "best" traffic driver ever was VERY aggressive). They make up about 90% of the white population in S Fl, which then again makes up about 30% of the population in S Fl. So about 27% of the drivers are way above average crazy and aggressive and are not afraid to go further than honking the horn. They are also physically and genetically used to absurd traffic, and are willing to contribute to that problem down there.

simms3 you crack me up w/your statistics. Very interesting way of looking at it and very true.

I can vouch for what you say b/c I married one of those South Florida Jersey transplants. If you are in the left lanes of the freeway and not going well over the speed limit, we are the ones inches from your tail giving you the ugly look and when we pass you, you get the bird. Of course I'm not driving, I'm the one in the passenger seat hanging on dearly to the O.S.H. (Oh Sh*t handle) saying "please don't kill us slow down honey." :) Hopefully my seat belt will protect me and if not, I've got good life insurance.

I have, I lived in Altamonte for over a year. Everyday I drove from 436 down I-4 to City Hall. I'd be willing to bet that many of Central FL's aggressive drivers moved up from South FL. :)

I've lived in Boca Raton and Ft. Lauderdale too. South FL has the most aggressive drivers I've ever encountered except for those in Mass, RI, CT, NY, NJ and part of Penn., which is where most of them came from.

I'll ask you....have you ever lived in South Florida? If not, you have no idea.

Again I'll say....South Florida wins this one, no contest, IMO. That's a good thing Central FL, be proud to lose this one. :D

All I was saying was that the orlando area has some pretty aggresive driver's. Now South Florida does win this contest because I spent a summer down their and it was not cute.

• 3 weeks later...

Just to change things up a little, we have been discussing traffic in the metros on average (all the roads generally). But not every area of town is the same and not every road is the same. For instance, in Jax there are areas on 95 that do get really backed up (for a time) like through town and at JTB and at US 1. In the morning 10 is INCREDIBLY backed up from the intersection at 95 in town all the way past 295 on the westside, but coming home is not bad. The worst is on JTB (for limited access highways) because much of it is only 2 lanes, and this cuts through the crowded southside to the crowded fully developed beach. They are widening it, but you could easily sit on its 15 miles for well over an hour. For regular roads with lights, Blanding is statistically the worst (even worse than highways so I NEVER go on it any time of day whatsoever), and that's followed by Atlantic. I'll post some traffic cam pics soon, here is a crappy one on 95 where this traffic isn't so bad and probably flows well (it's somewhere on the southside not at a backup area).

Camera_80.jpg

US 1 where it continues once I-95 ends in south Miami near Coconut Grove is genuinely godawful for about 20 miles as it heads south to and throught Kendall. Without an interstate or other direct route unobstructed by frequent traffic lights allowing uninterrupted traffic flow the road is just clogged. Ambulances get stuck and sometimes take a very long time as traffic moves too slowly to get out of the way.

I'll tell you what, Colonial Drive and 436-- even late night, is like a scene from Fast and Furious; there's no rhyme or reason.

In fact, it got so bad with street racing that a group of them approached Orange County Sheriff's Office a few years back to sanction street racing on Princeton St. between OBT and JYP (an industrial section of the road) at certain hours of the evening so they could do it legally. Orange Co. said "No F--ng Way." So as a result, I got rice burners with rims more expensive than the actual cars going 75-80 mph on 436 when everyone else is going 55 mph (speed limit is 45 mph). THis doesn't include all the motorcycles going like 90 mph late at nite on 436 as well. The cops can't stop them.

Also, Bithlo has a speedway that local street racers go to on Friday nights to race. And these are the cars we encounter on a regular basis on Orlando roads-- the worst of which are E. Colonial, 436, Kirkman, Alafaya (UCF), and University with regards to aggressive drivers.

• 2 months later...

Since this is pretty much an all south/central FL topic, i'll add some variety and talk about the worst traffic in NOFL... west of JAX. Pensacola... not only are the streets in terrible shape and no east-west freeway, but we lack funding because we're north florida.. Traffic was bad before, but ever since the hurricanes, the traffic has been awful due to all the people in town/the I-10 bridge being out. Traffic can back up for miles and stand still while I-10 is down to one SLOW lane over a 2 1/2 mile bridge.

but as far as the rest of florida is concerned... Miami and Orlando are 1 and 2... JAX and Tampa aren't quite as bad. I was in Tampa a few weeks ago, and traffic wasn't bad except for a wreck on I-275 near downtown.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Archived