Signs or Litter?

gs3

Had to run to the Haywood Road area today and while sitting at the light on the 385 exit to turn on to Haywood, was horrified at the amount of these little 24" x 36" signs that LITTER the roadside. You know the ones.....political signs, signs for home developments, tanning salons, handwritten signs for lawn services and baby sitting, etc, etc, etc. Are these not illegal?

I know many cities in the nation that have made them illegal. If they are legal here, how do we get a vote to change that? These signs are simply litter....most of the time the print is too small to read, or the signs have blown over and are just laying all over the ground.

Greenville has too much beauty and too much going on to allow this litter. How do we get rid of it?

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I agree with you, gsupstate. I would like to do something about this as well. If this is government-owned property, which I assume it is, then a public vote should be implemented to decide what is and is not allowed at those places. For me, those small signs are irritating because they are large enough to usually notice but still too small to actually read. Regardless, I don't care to read about tanning beds or quick money in real estate or any of that.

They are. Most places allow those signs to let people know a building is for sale. Political signs are legal. I don't know about the handwritten ones. The only way to get rid of them is to take them down I guess. I believe handwritten ones are legal for a few days. The City and County would need to enforce fines on people who don't take them down.

I remember a couple years ago there was a huge crackdown of too many signs being posted on utility posts at most intersections in Greenville County. They had a bright neon yellow violation stickers posted on signs marked for destruction. It worked at the time.

Another thing considered litter and will eventually be illegalized are roadside memorials. They cause more harm than good.

Yeah I have never understood roadside memorials. Think about it: a person died there in a car accident. The roadside memorial is there so people will see it, which results in them taking their eyes off the road and potentially causing an accident of their own. How much sense does that make?

Agree with you BoDragon and Greenville....roadside memorials are litter. These should be banned. I mean I know people died there....I'm sensitive to that, but gosh, if we put memorials every place people died, the landscape would be littered with them.

Agree with you BoDragon and Greenville....roadside memorials are litter.  These should be banned.  I mean I know people died there....I'm sensitive to that, but gosh, if we put memorials every place people died, the landscape would be littered with them.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Not to mention they are just plain tacky. I don't know about anyone else, but the last way I would want to be memorialized is with a crude handmade cross and a bunch of plastic flowers. The worst I've seen is on 385 somewhere between Greenville and Columbia....the usual cross, plastic flowers, and a smashed up car door...presumably from the auto the folks died in.

I heard on 950 today that Greenville County is going to start being more proactive about taking the signs down and fining people. They will take one day a week and pick an area at random to focus on. Looks like your wish came true :)

Not to mention they are just plain tacky. I don't know about anyone else, but the last way I would want to be memorialized is with a crude handmade cross and a bunch of plastic flowers. The worst I've seen is on 385 somewhere between Greenville and Columbia....the usual cross, plastic flowers, and a smashed up car door...presumably from the auto the folks died in.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Oh that is TOO MUCH...

I heard on 950 today that Greenville County is going to start being more proactive about taking the signs down and fining people. They will take one day a week and pick an area at random to focus on. Looks like your wish came true :)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yeah, I caught a little bit of this same thing on Channel 4 news last night. Didn't hear the whole story, but just enough to figure out they were starting some kind of crackdown. Great news!

• 11 months later...

OK, this little piece of litter makes me laugh and makes me mad at the same time. :rofl::angry::rofl:

Not only is it one of those ILLEGAL roadside signs (litter), but this business added a pink, feather boa. And apparently the sign was printed wrong so they got out their Sharpie and change some wording. Come on.....this is just trashing up our beautiful city. Enough already! To read this, I had to stop my car AND zoom my camera. Do business owners really believe they are getting any "bang for the buck" out of these? If so, I have swampland for sale.

End of rant and on with the photo:

CIMG5807.jpg

OK, this little piece of litter makes me laugh and makes me mad at the same time. :rofl::angry::rofl:

Not only is it one of those ILLEGAL roadside signs (litter), but this business added a pink, feather boa. And apparently the sign was printed wrong so they got out their Sharpie and change some wording. Come on.....this is just trashing up our beautiful city. Enough already! To read this, I had to stop my car AND zoom my camera. Do business owners really believe they are getting any "bang for the buck" out of these? If so, I have swampland for sale.

End of rant and on with the photo:

CIMG5807.jpg

:rofl:

I wonder who thought that "diva" needed to not only be capitalized, but have a possessive apostrophe as well?

Sincerely,

The Grammar Police

P.S. I realize that people make grammatical mistakes, but to have signs printed with such horrible errors is pathetic. Wouldn't you have someone proofread something like this before having signs made? I would!

I assume the the 'HERE' is covering up an address. If the sign is actually at the site of the store, then it is legal. Very tacky, yes. But if those signs are kept simple and readable (unlike this one), they can be very effective.

(I through in a couple grammatical errors for affect)

Archived