COMPLETE: Tower & Cottages At Carnegie Abbey

Cotuit

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 4 weeks later...

O'Neill gets funding from HSBC to seal the deal on Ted Hood's Weaver Cove marina site. So after a year (?) of this project being silent, expect the O'Neill hype machine to come back out in full force.

http://www.carnegienewport.com/newsevents/rpress.php?id=282

http://www.carnegienewport.com/newsevents/rpress.php?id=283

O'Neill also came out with a name for the project: The Newport Club. :sick: While I'm always cynical of Brian O'Neill's PR department, I'm not underestimating the importance of this development. 1,500 slips with room for 500-foot yachts, next door to a luxury village of retail, hotels, residential, and marine services? In terms of capacity, it puts Newport way beyond any other destination in the region.

I don't think off-islanders completely understand how huge this is.

For those who aren't familiar: click here for an aerial. The site is the crescent-shaped cove just south of the existing Melville Marine District. It's also about a mile south of Carnegie Abbey.

• 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I was bamboozled into going on a Bay Queen cruise this weekend. It was nice to see the state from the bay at night though. Newport is beautiful all lit up. And this Carnegie Abbey tower thing is huge and lit up a like a Christmas tree!

• 2 weeks later...

According to today's Newport Daily News, more than half of the tower units are sold, and they will be ready for occupancy in December of '08. Other highlights of the article are that a "significant portion" of the Carnegie Abbey membership are entrepreneurs with young families, and that while many members use their residences as vacation homes, many are staying at the Abbey for five or six months a year.

The article also mentions that the club plans to develop the former Weyerhauser site, on 126 acres north of Carnegie Abbey into "the Carnegie Abbey Beach Club, which would feature multifamily residences and a number of single-family homes. On this site, an additional yacht club also would be built as well as new equestrian facilities and expanded tennis facilities."

Here is an update photo I took a couple days ago. Construction is up to the 18th floor:

1002772kb1.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

^ Those were taken from West Main Road. There's a scenic overlook a short distance south of Willow Lane (north of the interchange with Route 24).

It provides a great view of the tower, as well as a good-looking distant view of the Providence skyline.

For the record, the third and fourth shots are from the end of Cory's Lane, near Portsmouth Abbey.

I need to take some update pics of this. As you might imagine, there has been quite a bit of progress on the facade since those were taken.

^ Those were taken from West Main Road. There's a scenic overlook a short distance south of Willow Lane (north of the interchange with Route 24).

It provides a great view of the tower, as well as a good-looking distant view of the Providence skyline.

For the record, the third and fourth shots are from the end of Cory's Lane, near Portsmouth Abbey.

I need to take some update pics of this. As you might imagine, there has been quite a bit of progress on the facade since those were taken.

Yesterday:

92699708pi0.jpg

13715677qy0.jpg

19719774lq8.jpg

Ir may be difficult to tell from the pics, but they've started installing windows on the lower floors. The windows they're using have sort of a mid-century modern look, and they remind me of the windows on the Waterplace towers.

for gregrc, here is a view of Providence from the overlook where I took these pics. I've got a clearer picture of this view buried somewhere in the PVD pictures thread as well, but it was at least a year ago, and neither Westin II nor Waterplace were visible.

28687980ny5.jpg

• 1 month later...

Archived