Growth: Fallschace

cityboy05

Ya I am right next to another Development that owns the same building I am renting. I am also next to the old Coca Cola building, I spoke to someone that purchased it and is going to develop it into an Office/Resturant. He told me some cool ideas they have for that building. I am also aware of other buildings going on next to the Coca Cola Bldg.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Heard on the radio this afternoon that the last hurdles for Fallschase have been overcome, and development can begin as early as July (someone will need to check my recollection).

AIG Baker agreed to hire minority contractors to build the retail and office space, spend $4M on intersection improvements at Mahan/Cap Cir, and donate land for a fire station on their property (2.5 acres I think).

It was reported by Michael Walker on NPR.

Cool. There was a major Fallschase issue in my workload at work today. I don't have time to read all of the Fallschase material, and frankly it bores me, but from what I could tell the project will be developed in 5 phases, the 3rd being the largest with over 800 homes being built, for a total of over 2000 over the term of the project. I noticed in reading the material, however, that there seemed to be less commercial space than I previously remember.

I saw a news story on this item last night on TV. What struck me as odd about it was that the station interviewed several people that live in the area and they were all against Fallschase b/c it would make traffic worse and they had concerns about the retail portion of the project and effects on Weems Rd. Now what I don't understand is the thought pattern of these people, most of which just moved out there themselves, I mean Weems Plantation can't be more than 5 yrs old. But now that THESE people are out there, they don't want anyone else to settle in their little fifedom. They want it to remain exactly as they found it. I know this mentality isn't unique to those in east Tally, but if that thought process isn't selfish, I don't know what is.

I live downtown and all these condos will effect my life and traffic etc. etc., but I'm all for them and embrace their arrival. All of my neighbors seem to also. I guess I just don't understand this "suburban" way of thinking.

Do you guys?

I saw a news story on this item last night on TV. What struck me as odd about it was that the station interviewed several people that live in the area and they were all against Fallschase b/c it would make traffic worse and they had concerns about the retail portion of the project and effects on Weems Rd. Now what I don't understand is the thought pattern of these people, most of which just moved out there themselves, I mean Weems Plantation can't be more than 5 yrs old. But now that THESE people are out there, they don't want anyone else to settle in their little fifedom. They want it to remain exactly as they found it. I know this mentality isn't unique to those in east Tally, but if that thought process isn't selfish, I don't know what is.

I live downtown and all these condos will effect my life and traffic etc. etc., but I'm all for them and embrace their arrival. All of my neighbors seem to also. I guess I just don't understand this "suburban" way of thinking.

Do you guys?

Once more a pure statement! This is what I was talking about in my Crisis of Complacency thread. I think this is the perfect example of the type of people that like to move in and shut the door behind them. Just as you said Poonther, many of the people that live out on that side of town have been there shorter than 10 years in these new development such as those along Weems and many of those along Pedrick and Buck Lake. I saw one person on the news last night, a young boy, complaining about the storm water runnoff. I spat at the tv after his comments. How possible is it that his concern about stormwater runoff is how own. Moreover, how fair is it to Fallschase that stormwater from the most of Tallahassee's over 270,000 people can drain onto THEIR property in the millions of gallons per storm but the 4000 or so future Fallschase residents can't drain into their own property?

i lived on chaires cross rd all my life. bucklake, appalachee, and 90 are the only ways into town. those arteries are clogging just with the minor subdivisions and homes being built in the last 15 yrs. I have seen stop signs change to traffic lights, 2 lanes turn into four. Beautiful tallahassee land, stripped of trees and hills, school agers from walkers to bus riders, and bikers from sharers of the roadway, to obstacles. We kept our 40 acres intact becuase it is beautiful. others sold into the ever growing land value and realestate market, but it wasnt easy for them and it wont be easy for us. But my parents will retire to monticello. if it means selling 103 yrs of history, it better be worth it.

I dont want to see that much development in that area. I have a painting i did of the meandering creek that lies in the lakebed when i was younger. I have a dent in my front right bumper from driving my car into a hole in hte lakebed. I have some memories of balloon rallies and bike rides. It is beautiful. I have to think about all the people who will benefiet from all the wonderful things i cherish. I pray even that people who move into the area, apreciate, protect, and respect what we (people who have a right to care) are watching dissapear. I will not hug a tree. I will not throw paint on someone wearing a fur coat. But if you want to build, respect.

i lived on chaires cross rd all my life. bucklake, appalachee, and 90 are the only ways into town. those arteries are clogging just with the minor subdivisions and homes being built in the last 15 yrs. I have seen stop signs change to traffic lights, 2 lanes turn into four. Beautiful tallahassee land, stripped of trees and hills, school agers from walkers to bus riders, and bikers from sharers of the roadway, to obstacles. We kept our 40 acres intact becuase it is beautiful. others sold into the ever growing land value and realestate market, but it wasnt easy for them and it wont be easy for us. But my parents will retire to monticello. if it means selling 103 yrs of history, it better be worth it.

I dont want to see that much development in that area. I have a painting i did of the meandering creek that lies in the lakebed when i was younger. I have a dent in my front right bumper from driving my car into a hole in hte lakebed. I have some memories of balloon rallies and bike rides. It is beautiful. I have to think about all the people who will benefiet from all the wonderful things i cherish. I pray even that people who move into the area, apreciate, protect, and respect what we (people who have a right to care) are watching dissapear. I will not hug a tree. I will not throw paint on someone wearing a fur coat. But if you want to build, respect.

that was deep. :cry:

Did the people they interviewed (on tv) not know that Fallschase has been there for 20 years? Everything is there (roads and such) but houses and stores. It seems to me that this should not be a surprise to anyone, especially those that drive by the entrance on Buck Lake every day on their way home.

Maybe I will start complaining if St. Joe keeps building more houses in Southwood.

I know that the impact has to be mitigated, and it sounds like the City is thinking about that.

These roads needed to be fixed with or without a Fallschase.

Fact is, the growth out in that area has not paid for itself. The infrastructre along the Mahan Corridor is inadequate, as evident by the rush to install traffic lights where stops signs once stood and digging holding ponds for stormwater runnoff (Big one at Mahan & Pedrick).

I'm sorry if this sounds insensitive, but to me there's no road to precious to be widened if the need calls for it. Tallahassee has long been a city, and HWY 90 has long been a road used to enter and leave our city. There is no excuse to have a 2 lane Highway thru ANY city... Mahan should have been widened to I-10 decades ago, but like Blairstone this project has suffered an expensive delay.

Mahan can be widened without stealing its charm. At least a 6 lane divided roadway is needed, this would allow us to make the road bike and pedestrian friendly by installing sidewalks and bike lanes. Instead of having the vegitation along the sides we could have nicely decorated medians (easy to maintain myrtles would work... sorry Poonther, they kinda define Mahan). We'd still have our vegitation, we'd still have our hills, we'd loose some trees, but like CS points out, we'll do it with respect.

I think if we decide to grow (which is evedent) we should do it right. we have not been. certainly widening the roadways will help. move people quicker, to make and spend money quicker, in the best interest of our governemnt...

But the infrastrucure and couple of houses in fallschase are nothing compared to what will be. There is a ton of damage to be done, and I do believe that the right people are looking over shoulders to make sure the impact is maintained. that being said, with the current development there is no way to say fallschase has been around for 20 years. I am 22 and to me, when i hear fallschase, i see a park. that is what it has been. It is becoming a development now so people are going to fear its impacts now moreso than while it was sitting idle. no one can argue that fact.

So we embrace fallschase then, knock over a few tries, build a few drains. big deal, the sign has been sitting there like a warning. <-- bad philosophy.

we should embrace the fallschase development because it is beautiful land, because people are looking out for our interests, and because someone needs to make money off it, because that is what we do. I think i am sound in this logic...

can we expect some bridging of intersection bypassess at mahan and capital circle... its seems like the only thing left to do.

In my non-engineering mind, I can't see the difference a bridge would make. :blink: I think we're stuck widening roads or else coming up with a new road all togehter.

Touching on your comments, thetoolman, I think what you're saying does have a valid point. But then you've got to consider that is only a small portion of what is to become of Fallschase. There will be 5 segments of neighborhood. Whats there now? Probably enough room for 100 homes... if that. I take it the homes will be built a bit closer together, but the amount of land they will cover is much greater than the current infrastructre allows. More, the solid surfaces created by the commercial parking lots, and additional streets will require some storm water management, but Fallschase is entitled to that seeing as how it has served as a storm water system for this city over 20 years now.

I guess I just don't understand this "suburban" way of thinking.

Do you guys?

Sorry to be jumping into this discussion so late. I didn't see the news report since I'm out of state, but I can sympathize with that way of thinking. I can understand how someone who has moved out to the edge of town in the last few years would not want more growth springing up around him. Perhaps there is some selfishness involved in that attitude, but if you spent the money, time, and effort to move somewhere for a specific reason, it's understandable that you wouldn't want that reason taken away. You might even fight to keep the area in line with your vision for it.

Not everyone has the same vision for Tallahassee, nor does everyone measure greatness with the same measuring stick. Additionally, as csmurphy8885 pointed out, I think we all want the growth to be well-planned. Here in Murfreesboro, TN we're experiencing some of the same things that Tallahassee is (though we're not seeing the highrise development at this point in the way Tallahassee is). The city has experienced tremendous growth in the last few years. Late last year we were (I believe) the fastest growing county in the nation, and may still be. Some of the older folks feel that we're growing too fast, and that we don't have the infrastructure to support that growth. And there have been some hits and misses in terms of smart city planning. I think the city's currently doing some good things, but I did hear a city official on the radio admit that one of the city's most popular newer residential areas was not very well planned. I appreciate his candidness.

I guess what I'm saying is that it's important to consider all sides, and not be too quick to judge. Seeking to hear and understand those who oppose some of the projects we support could be a healthy thing. I think it's really cool how the Fallschase developer heard and addressed the complaints of some of the nearby residents who opposed their plan. I think that's a good use of listening and compromise, and it paid off for the developer by getting their support.

at the intersection i could see continuing the 6 lanes, but beyond that they will have to find a way to decrease the red lights effects on the moving of traffic through. like the capital cirlc thomasville flyover, which elliminated stoping southbound all together. here goes another fun tag along with smurph episode....

-I see a straight bridge for capital circle with turn lanes for 90. the bridges (norht and south) would not need to be 6 lanes (since there would be no light, i believe traffic would make it through easily in 2 lanes).

90 could then run straight underneath, with half as many red lights to back up traffic. e.g. only for traffic making left turns. Right turns could be merged into the 6th lane in all directions. Left hand turns that would need to reconnect with the through traffic of capital circle could merge into an inner 4th lane.

taurean, did you go to chaires? how old are you? i am 21 and went to chaires. my mom has taught there for like 25 years now... cindy laney. she has taught first and second grade in her time. i went there in the mid ninties.

I went to Little Chaires. Back then my teacher was Ms. McGlouglin. For elementary I went to Wesson (K-2), Sullivan (3) and Ruediger (3.5-5). Swift Creek Middle, Leon (9) and Lincoln (9.5-12).

Archived