Growth: Fallschace

cityboy05

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes... they are redrawing the vision.

I've looked at the work of AIG Baker, and I honestly can't see how they could develop the homes I saw in those Homes&Lands Mags. I'm picturing a mere replica of Southwood, possibly with brick instead of Panels.

As for the retail component... Wal-Mart.... yuck... do we really need to Wal-Mart 3-4 miles from each other... not to mention the Sams thats also on CCNE. I don't mean to say it like this, but I'd much rather have some nice outlet stores, Nike Outlet, Duckhead Outlet, and so on... we need some good outlet stores here in town.

Definitely more palms are needed in Tally! Sabals/Cabbage the State tree, Japanese Windmills, Pindos, European Fan Palms all work well here. Leave the dogwoods and crappy myrtles for those up in GA and the Carolinas! We need more palms in our roadway medians too. Crappy myrtles look AWFUL in the winter, like a much dead sticks in the mud.

Even here at the city we deal with things like this all of the time. Developers trying to slip somthing in at the 11th hour... its up to the elected and appointed officials to catch things like this. Of course if they read the material and don't object I'd like to see them allow this to move forward.

I just called the planning department to see if they had any of the new documents and no one could tell me anything (they didn't know) so I'm not sure what the deal is. But I'll keep my ear to the ground.

Definitely more palms are needed in Tally! Sabals/Cabbage the State tree, Japanese Windmills, Pindos, European Fan Palms all work well here. Leave the dogwoods and crappy myrtles for those up in GA and the Carolinas! We need more palms in our roadway medians too. Crappy myrtles look AWFUL in the winter, like a much dead sticks in the mud.

Have to disagree.

Tally is Live Oaks. Without question.

We aren't the Carolinas and we are not Miami. People trying to make Tally look like a mini Miami miss the heritage of our area. I don't totally disagree about Myrtles in the winter...that is valid. What do dogwoods look like? Not sure about the others you listed.

I know one thing....Tally is about Live Oaks. I don't dislike Palms....but when people want Palm trees and stucco houses, I think they are trying to turn Tally, a area of southern heritage, into South Florida...a place that is really about transplants from the northeast.

I want Tally to remember it's roots (no pun intended).

Side note: Are Palms even indigenous to Florida? I am not sure. I have said before, the caricature of Florida is not truly what Florida is about.

Have to disagree.

Tally is Live Oaks. Without question.

We aren't the Carolinas and we are not Miami. People trying to make Tally look like a mini Miami miss the heritage of our area. I don't totally disagree about Myrtles in the winter...that is valid. What do dogwoods look like? Not sure about the others you listed.

I know one thing....Tally is about Live Oaks. I don't dislike Palms....but when people want Palm trees and stucco houses, I think they are trying to turn Tally, a area of southern heritage, into South Florida...a place that is really about transplants from the northeast.

I want Tally to remember it's roots (no pun intended).

Side note: Are Palms even indigenous to Florida? I am not sure. I have said before, the caricature of Florida is not truly what Florida is about.

Palmettos are indigeous to Florida (this area included); they grow in Long Leaf Pine Forests. Sable Palms are also indigeous I believe. Not sure about most other palm trees.

I too hate palm trees (Royal Palm, if well kept, are nice though). I prefer hardwood trees myself. I had enough of palm trees after living in South Florida for 18 years (that and Medicine Pink). All the rich snow birds love them though, so they plant more.

I love Live Oaks and Red Maples. I wish we had a more colorful fall here, but oh well. I'll have to do with a tree here and there.

I don't know how I missed Poonther's post. I agree with alot of the trees you've mentioned.... but I'm not sure I share the same opinion on the Mertles. I think the Crapes are very beautiful plants when they are in bloom... but like most plants during the drier, cooler times of the year they loose their luster, which makes them all the more beautiful the next season when they bloom again.

I think the thing about wanting Tallahassee to be a miniature Miami is kinda odd... I don't see a desire for people to want us to be a miniature Miami, but when things look nice they look nice. I'm sure there are somethings we do well that others wish they could imulate... Miami isn't the only community in Florida that uses stucco and palms... anyone remember St. Augustine? Thats as much a part of the rich Florida heritage as anything... that's more inline with what I'd shoot for.

You are right, Sabals and palmettos are native to Florida. I love Live Oaks too, but I like palms underneath them. I don't really care at all for trees that loose their leaves in the winter, plus I hate to rake! :P

I agree that North Florida is different from South Florida, but it ain't Georgia or Alabama either. I understand the heritage of Tally, but doesn't make me evil if I plant some palms around.

Next time you are out riding around notice how many crappy myrtles are used in commercial, residential and roadway medians. It's insane how much they are used and they are from Japan/China, not native. I thnk they use them so much because they are cheap, fast growing and easy to care for.

On preview T.J. I read your statement about St. Augustine and that is exactly my point. Good point there bud!

I think the Mertles are over used around town... you're right... they are very beautiful along Thomasville Road and entering Leon county along Mahan... very nice... but in other locations especially along Apalachee Parkway and South Monroe, and Gaines, Lake Bradford, and maybe the southern part of Gaines Street, where Tallahassee feels more Sunshine... we should do something to remind ourselves of our Tropical side... we will still have the best Live Oaks in the world... but I think we can add the others.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Cityboy!! :D My buddy!

I have here in my hand some faxes that were left on my desk the other day, unclaimed by anyone. They are black and white renderings of the Fallschase Siteplan, in addition to Typical lakeside residential home looks, views of the street plans, and the landscaping being proposed. I wish they were color copies so I could give a more detailed description of them.

Commercial District: Big Box stores are not connected in the renderings which gives me the impression that this will not be a mall as we hoped. There does appear to be an office park also. There is planty of parking here and this entire district fronts Mahan Drive... which will do wonders in transforming the east side into a more urban looking area.

The Main Street Shown in the image I have here is a look at Buck Lake Road at Mahan Drive. There appears to be a 6 lane divided Highway with landscaped medians and nice greenery on the sides.

I wish I could tell more, but the detail of the fax is not good at all. I'll let you all know what I can find soon.

The city commission will have a Fallschase Item on the agenda this week also.

I think the project will pass... just the vibe I'm getting. Seems the county needs a little shot in the arm out that way. This seems like the perfect thing to do it.

If you really take your time and look at the details of the project proposed, its really quite nice.

I'm hoping this project passes too. What I'm really not wanting to see happen is that they postpone a vote on this project AGAIN!

Sorry to hear that the commercial areas will not be a "lifestyle" outdoor type shopping area but just another bunch of big box stores, but I agree this project will help that area urbanize. I really like what Kraft Nissan did w/the old Winn Dixie out there.

I agree... for some reason I just want to walk up and touch the NISSAN building... it looks so shinny and slick with that metal material. The invetory over there seems huge. I still can't get over how quick the Winn-Dixie opened and closed at that location. Swift Creek played there for the grand opening... I was on trumpet.

I did see a few examples attached to the latest Development Agreement that might spark some interest. From the look, the concept isn't all that bad.

See Pages 59-62 for images.

Cool TJ thanks for the update.

The Tally Democrat had nothing today about this vote. I know it happened late, but they still should have put something in the paper about it or I just haven't looked in the right place to find it.

Anyway, did they add any conditions/modifications to the project before approving? Does this project have to be approved by the City too? Is this area within the city or is it in the county (man we need consolidation!)

Who were the opposing votes? Ratcliffe and Thaell? Or was it Proctor based on some theory of his about racism caused by building around Lake Lafayette? That man has some wild theories sometimes. Many times when I watch him, I'm like "wow, how did he come up w/that?"

Anyway, glad it was approved. I'm just hoping that there will be no Wallymart built there but they put something new to Tally there. I mean w/the Wallymart probably going up on the old Sam's site on North Monroe, this would make the 5th one for Leon County. Do we really need that many? And if you count the one in Quincy and the new one in Crawfordville, that would give Tally Metro 7 Wallymarts if this one happens. Dang that's a lot for our population base.

Archived