Recommended Upstate Driving Tours

goodbye

I was thinking about the many roads people travel throughout the Upstate each day, and I realized that there are some lesser-traveled roads here which would give us a look into these "unknown/forgotten" places in the Region.

- One such road I just traveled down last week is Hampton Avenue in downtown Greenville. I turned onto this road from Academy Street and drove all the way to its terminus in West Greenville. It was one of the most interesting experiences I've ever had, to glimpse both the best and seemingly the worst on one street. That drive had a great impact on me, and I expect that I'll never forget what I saw. Maybe it was just the day, or perhaps I was in a mode of intriguing melancholy - an emotion which sometimes stirs within an artist, striking the sparks necessary for the fire of inspiration. Whatever it was, the feeling was one I'll never forget.

Share any of your favorite or memorable road trips throughout the Upstate for others who may not have known. :)

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have plenty of driving tours worth noting, but it will probably take awhile to tell them all.

When I was very young, I remember going across Piney and Paris Mountains. Beginning at Piney Mountain Road from North Pleasantburg, you can have a midrise view of Taylors and Greer to the east. Before you pass Saint James church, there's a road to the left which can take you to a sight of the Rutherford Road area. After you cross State Park Road (SC 253), the real excitement begins. It is about a twenty minute winding drive with sights of northeast Greenville on the incline. You can get a better view if you take Lake Circle Road. Past that, there is Tower Drive, which takes you up to those towers on the mountain you see heading towards Cherrydale. The historic Altamont Hotel was located there, used as a resort by lowcountry upper class landowners and travelers enroute to Asheville. The hotel is no longer there, but the area did serve as a unofficial overlook for many years. I think it was closed off a few years ago after a long period of suspicious activities. On the way down the mountain, you can glimpse Traveler's Rest towards the north. The road ends at Frontage Road alongide Poinsett Highway.

It's been a long time since I've done this, so I may not remember the roads correctly, but on day trips up to Beech and Sugar, we used to take 14 from Greer through Gowensville and Landrum to hook up with 221 in N.C. Right after you cross over I-26 there's an old country estate on the left (as I remember). The whole drive is beautiful with the mountains as a backdrop.

One I like, not for its beauty but for History and well, I just love this part of town. Turn left off of the New Western corridor at Smyth Street at the Monaghan Mill were the Lofts of Greenville are being constructed. This Road will become Woodside Ave.

Following down and pass old Park High were Greenville High is until their renovations are done, pass Woodside Mill and the end on Pendlenton St. in Brandon. Make sure to drive by the Brandon Mill as well.

I love this area of town, I see it going trough a big renesaince in the next few years.

I like the Saluda grade drive, the drive coming down I-26 from Ashville back into Spartanburg county. It's really pretty. I also like the drive down Anderson Mill Rd. on Spartanburg's westside. There's a lot of pretty country.

I also like the drive from Anderson College down Midway Rd. towards Pelzer and Williamston. That is some beautiful country and some parts of it are decently elevated.

One I like, not for its beauty but for History and well, I just love this part of town.  Turn left off of the New Western corridor at Smyth Street at the Monaghan Mill were the Lofts of Greenville are being constructed.  This Road will become Woodside Ave.

Following down and pass old Park High were Greenville High is until their renovations are done, pass Woodside Mill and the end on Pendlenton St. in Brandon.  Make sure to drive by the Brandon Mill as well.

I love this area of town, I see it going trough a big renesaince in the next few years.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The Parker/Woodsive Av. area can really use a renaissance. First, there's some sketchy issues to be cleared away for good.

How is Monaghan Mill's tranformation coming along? I would like to see something happen with Woodside Mill if it is vacant, such as condos, etc.

Woodside is being used for warehousing, Home Depot has some space over there for something as well.

I would also like to See Parker High Converted when it is no longer ebing used and to see Brandon Mill converted. There is a Golf company usuing Brandon Mill Right now.

That's where they make Dunlop clubs. I took a tour through the factory several years ago and was highly impressed with the size of the operation. It was fascinating to see how they test the strength of each club, to find just the right formula for distance. B)

• 3 months later...

Looks like the Monaghan Mill is going to start picking up steam. They've started putting up the walls on the inside and even put in a few windows. I managed to walk around it a couple of months back. The views towards downtown from the 4th floor are phenomenal. Supposedly Smythe St is going to get a facelift as well with new street lights to mimic downtown. It all should really help the area and hopefully lead to some nice development and investment in the whole area. West Greenville definitely needs some focus.

Archived