Relocate to Memphis?

Sonagi

I am an ESL teacher looking for work in the south. I've been concentrating on northern Virginia (culturally vibrant but EXPENSIVE) and North Carolina. I had not considered Tennessee. I see that Memphis schools is crying for ESL teachers.

Folks who've lived in Memphis, especially transplanted Yanks, is the city livable? What do you like/dislike about living in Memphis?

I will probably be teaching in a school with many immigrant children. Are immigrants clustered into certain neighborhoods? What are these neighborhoods like? What are Memphis schools like in general?

Will I melt in the summer heat and humidity?

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am an ESL teacher looking for work in the south.  I've been concentrating on northern Virginia (culturally vibrant but EXPENSIVE) and North Carolina.  I had not considered Tennessee.  I see that Memphis schools is crying for ESL teachers.

Folks who've lived in Memphis, especially transplanted Yanks, is the city livable?  What do you like/dislike about living in Memphis? 

I will probably be teaching in a school with many immigrant children.  Are immigrants clustered into certain neighborhoods?  What are these neighborhoods like? What are Memphis schools like in general?

Will I melt in the summer heat and humidity?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I think that Memphis schools are like most large, urban school systems around the country, in need of more funding. The city is indeed cultured and livable. The heat and humidity will get to you, but you'll get used to it with the help of an a/c.

If you are looking soley at TN have you looked at Jackson, TN? It's a city very close to Memphis and is the regional boom town. They should offer many job opportunities with very good pay scales as well.

If you want simply a great place to live in the South though, check out Paducah, KY. Very urban old downtown (filled with high end restuarants and shops), good schools, good commerical/medical/entertainment/cultural outlets, etc, only downside is that its not all that large compared to Memphis, but is comparable to Jackson.

Archived